Thread: Range Safety (Cushman Range in Fairbanks)

Angry Range Safety (Cushman Range in Fairbanks)

I went out to Cushman on Friday morning about 9 A.M. to fire at 300 yards. When I arrived there was a father and son already shooting. About 30 minutes later one more guys arrives who sets up off to our left. He is firing some kind of handgun on the rifle range. Every thing is going smoothly when the father and son call the range cold to go and check their targets, so I go ahead and walk out to mark mine. Keep in mind there are only 4 people total on the range.

The father and son check their targets at 100 yards and walk back off the line to their truck to get something. The guy with the handgun apparently sees them walk by, doesn't say a word to anyone or even look downrange and commences to sight onto his target and fire off a shot. I had walked about 50 yards back from my target and was in plain sight when the round came whizzing by me. I let out a yell and start waving my arms, as he raises his pistol to fire a second time. I literally yell as loud as I can and the father and son go running towards the guy yelling too. He finally catches on (he had hearing pro in) and puts the pistol down.

What would your actions have been? What could I have done different?

As I come walking in he approaches me to apologize. I told him the round came by me close enough to hear and with only 4 people on the range it should have been extremely easy to keep track of people not to mention checking the range before you fire. He said he was sorry and it wouldnt happen again. No kidding right. He fired off a couple more rounds and packed up and left. I know if I did something like that I would have immediately packed up all my gear and left. I had to walk a few laps to cool off. I couldnt believe he went back to shooting.

One of those days. Be extremely careful out there. I think this incident has soured me for sure on Cushman range. When you walk out there to check your target you are literally putting your life into strangers hands.

Wowzers. That's pretty bad.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thankfully your OK! i have only visited that range once and was not impressed with the "talent" that frequents there...nor is this the first time i have heard of these kind of incedents.

fortunately i am able to shoot at home... hopefully that fool will after think his actions and realize how costly his mistake could have been... its a good reminder message thanks!

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

****ski that is crazy well the guy is an idiot and surprised u didn't stick the pistol straight up his rear. They have range here called birchwood and it is just organized chaos. I went once and never again will just go to rabbit creek or the range on post

Thats why I go very early in the morning if there is anymore than one person there I leave. i have seen way to many idiots out there i.e. i got a new remington 700 this winter and was pretty excited about sighting it in there was about 5 other people there so i just went to the far end about 3 shooters down there were some Fairbanks gangsters in adidas jump suits with their backwards hats and baggy pants (literally) and when the range went cold said idiot with the AK slung it on his back and took off walking down range. The guy next to me told him to leave it on the bench never take your weapons down range. Said idiot just looked at him like he was stupid. w and behold idiot slips on the ice and a round went shooting off into the woods. there was no magazine in it so he obviously didnt even bother to clear it or check before he took off down range. That was the incident that made me decide I dont go if there is more than one other person there.

Oh and I probably would of called the cops as some one did on the gangster when that happened of course they took off before they got there but when the cops got there they said even tho it was unintentional that is still assault with a deadly weapon if you feared your life was endanger. People like that and no situational awareness have no business owning a firearm.

12 mile gun club. Safest place to shoot in fairbanks. always an NRA range official. Its on Eielson, clean safe heated in the winter and membership is $25 annually for a year.

Default sorry

$25 a year for a family

It was just on the news a few minutes ago: A client from Michigan shot and killed his brown bear guide yesterday. Kinda makes you wonder about the range safety practices of the Michigander, doesn't it? With safety so easy to do on a range, the habits should help avert disasters in the field.

Along with their unsafe practices, many of these guys bring all their garbage to use as targets....shoot it up and leave it......

We spent a lot of volunteer time and donations to build a nice sight-in range in Delta and it didn't take long for some clown to show up with armor piercing ammo and try to shoot down the 4" pipe target holders.....

Never had any real problems at the South Cushman rifle range over the last intermitent 30 years I've gone there, though most of my shooting was done at home.

We used to shoot some class IIIs there many years back, and there were times it occurred to me that "Ya' never know who's paying attention to who's shooting what, and maybe taking notes, wanting something for nothing." But that sort of thing could happen almost any place.

The most frustrating experience at the Cushman rifle range (in my admittedly limited personal experience) has been when everyone else is done firing for the moment, folks need to leave or check targets to get on with the rest of their day, and there's often that ONE guy who continues to lay down another 5-10, maybe even 15 shots, while everyone else is VISIBLY walking in small circles, arms folded, counting sheep, discussing the theory of relativity, or what ever... down either side of the line... I guess -that- guy's just -REALLY- focused on his target... ;^>)

There have been a couple of times over at the pistol range that I observed some youngsters who simply bore that unsavory look (yes, I was being the judgemental individual I typically try not to be, assessing a book by its cover, so-to-speak), wherein the attitudes, appearances, and the fact that they were clearly practicing tactical (aggressive) maneuvers while shooting with semi-auto pistols made me wonder a tad bit.

I'll admit that during some of those stints, I've maintained my shoulder holster when walking down-range to check my rifle target... (I know... I know... But I did it anyway...)

I've heard enough about South Cushman that I don't bother to go down there. I went once and didn't like what I saw, so I left and went elsewhere. I'll go up to 36 mile CHSR or to the indoor range on College.

I know some of the local LEO's that won't even go there!

Glad that yer OK and didn't get hit while out there.

Edit:

Yes, I have recommended this range for out of town'rs that need to do a re-sighting after the flights. It is probably the closest one for most people to get to & can handle the rifles that most people bring up. But we all take our chances at non-controlled ranges.

Let's all be safe when we go out there and get a few rounds off.

I would have made sure he knew three folks were going down range. After that you pay your money and take your chances at places without range officers.

I've gone to the Cushman range for many, many years. I typically try to go with someone else so one of us goes downrange while the other stays and watches the other shooters to make them keep their paws off the guns while we are down. My pet peeve is that I bring my own frame with several targets on it and a spotting scope so I don't have to go down often and always there is some clown who wants to put a target at 2 or 300 yds, fire 2 or three shots then amble down and see where his bullet went. 20 minutes later he'll come strolling back while everyone else is ready to go. I'm there to SHOOT, not waste my day watching unprepared folks walk up and down range. IE shoot for 30 min. cold for 10. Repeat. I won't go into the many safety infractions I've seen, as there are too many people who own firearms who have never been trained in their use. Some of the worst have been from young military personnel.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I've gone to the Cushman range for many, many years. I typically try to go with someone else so one of us goes downrange while the other stays and watches the other shooters to make them keep their paws off the guns while we are down. My pet peeve is that I bring my own frame with several targets on it and a spotting scope so I don't have to go down often and always there is some clown who wants to put a target at 2 or 300 yds, fire 2 or three shots then amble down and see where his bullet went. 20 minutes later he'll come strolling back while everyone else is ready to go. I'm there to SHOOT, not waste my day watching unprepared folks walk up and down range. IE shoot for 30 min. cold for 10. Repeat. I won't go into the many safety infractions I've seen, as there are too many people who own firearms who have never been trained in their use. Some of the worst have been from young military personnel.
    Why is it that a large portion of folks that live in FBKS or NP blame everything or most everything on Soldiers or Airforce personnel? I hear this crap all the time and am sick of it. I constantly hear this from people at the range, in town, while hunting and so on. "Soldiers or Airmen doing stupid stuff at the range", "GI's stealing my hunting spot", "GI's driving like maniacs around town". It's not GI's, its mostly the civilian population but I guess it's easier to blame our service members for everything because they leave in a few years. If it wasn't for our military, this town wouldn't exist. I was in the Army up until '05, so I have experience living the FBKS civilian life as well as the FBKS military life.
    My experience of "stupid stuff" at the range is older people and very young people. Lots, not all, of the older shooters take forever to shoot and don't pay attention to anybody on the range. I've had guys just drive up and start shooting. They never communicate with anyone on the line, just get up and start walking down range to check their targets without saying anything to anyone, come by and start picking up your brass while you are shooting and never ask if you are going to keep your brass, etc... I had a guy ,one time, start shooting his 338 mag right next to me without ever saying range Hot or anything. I couldn't hear out of my right ear for about 4 hours because of that. After saying something to the guy(I wasn't rude) he basically starting cursing and yelling at me. Like it was some how my fault that he is isn't following protocol.
    As for the young kids, they just shoot hundreds of rounds rapid fire style and don't realize that there are other people on the range that might want to check their targets once in a while. I guess they don't see us walking around and staring at them or saying "clear".

Let's stop the "its the military's fault" crap. Take a look in the mirror first before we go around blaming everyone else.

Hmm I dont know MATXT I have been here since 2005 ( Yes I am in the army ) and it is ALOT worse now that it was then with the way I see army people act in town and quite frankly it disappoints me to be in the same army as most of these idiots. I.E. I was tryin to have a dinner out with my family this past weekend and there was a table of 4 younger soldiers and every other word out of one of their mouths was the F word. Wait until about 4 or 5 when most of us are off work and see how they drive down airport or the steese. I cant really blame the locals for the way they feel towards us after seeing the black eye that SOME of the soldiers give us.Now i know this is not true for everyone and most of us are good citizens but we should be held to higher standards to that and know how to act in public but there are alot more punks in the army now than there was then. Now I know locals do it as well but we stand out alot more than they do 9 times out of 10 you can spot a soldier out of a crowd.... Sorry for the long post but i cant even really defend some soldiers anymore because they are in the wrong.

Talking

Locals got to love a bunch of hot jocks running around town with a few bucks in their pockets trying to get their daughters in the rack

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Hmm I dont know MATXT I have been here since 2005 ( Yes I am in the army ) and it is ALOT worse now that it was then with the way I see army people act in town and quite frankly it disappoints me to be in the same army as most of these idiots. I.E. I was tryin to have a dinner out with my family this past weekend and there was a table of 4 younger soldiers and every other word out of one of their mouths was the F word. Wait until about 4 or 5 when most of us are off work and see how they drive down airport or the steese. I cant really blame the locals for the way they feel towards us after seeing the black eye that SOME of the soldiers give us.Now i know this is not true for everyone and most of us are good citizens but we should be held to higher standards to that and know how to act in public but there are alot more punks in the army now than there was then. Now I know locals do it as well but we stand out alot more than they do 9 times out of 10 you can spot a soldier out of a crowd.... Sorry for the long post but i cant even really defend some soldiers anymore because they are in the wrong.
    I got here in 1997 and have been here ever since. Yes, things are alot different then they used to be. Worse...maybe but maybe its because we are older and more mature now. I certainly agree that there are more young "punks", as you put it, in the military ranks these days. And yes, I've been places with my family and heard soldiers cursing alot too but a simple "hey, watch your mouth" brings a quick end to it and more times then not, a sorry as well. You probably know, when you are deployed, cursing becomes a means of meaningful communication. Its hard to break the habit when you don't even realize that you are doing it.
    However, almost everything is blamed on the military because of the very very few knuckle heads. Look at the post below this one. I don't know if it was meant as a joke or not but alot of people see the military as just that. Hot jocks with a few bucks in their pockets that just want to get your daughter in the rack. Isn't that the definition of every young man? But people say its the young MILITARY men. It can't be their saint-like son out there acting like a normal 20 something man, its has to be those bad military guys. Now, I'm not defending all soldiers. Some are "punks" but most aren't. I won't defend those that are in the wrong either as I do feel that military personnel should be held to a higher standard but I won't dismiss the major accomplishments and help that the military gives to this community on a daily basis because of a few bad apples.

Well, I can't say that what I've seen isn't true. However, I would point out that by and large, it's the YOUNG, UNDISCIPLINED, military personnel that act the worst. I've seen these guys walk downrange while folks are actively shooting, without even trying to call a cold range. Also pointing firearms downrange and dryfiring while others are down on a cold range. Clearing jammed weapons by pointing them down the firing line and jerking around with the mechanism. I've called them on it a number of times, sometimes I get the FU reaction, other times the behavior is corrected. I'm pretty sure they don't allow this to go on at the military ranges, but then each shooter usually has an observer. Range rules apply at EVERY range, not just the supervised ones. I won't say I've never seen the same deplorable behavior from the civilian side, because I have. BUT, it seems more prevalent from the YOUNG military folk. The older NCO's don't seem to be a problem. Actually, they are usually more squared away than most, as they seem to take shooting pretty seriously. Note, raised on Army bases till I was 11, Dad reired out after 22 years as CSM(E-9). Have been in FBKS since '69. Good wishes to all, sorry if I started a S*** storm. I just call it the way I see it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."