Thread: who makes the siwash hooks for pixees ?

Default who makes the siwash hooks for pixees ?

Hey, Do any of you wise guys know who makes those siwash hooks that come with pixees ? Should I use them or find something better ?

i use gamakatsu's on all my spoons and give them a slight offset twist with a pair of pliers. as soon as they show signs of rust or clip a couple rocks i trash them and put a new one on.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    as soon as they show signs of rust or clip a couple rocks i trash them and put a new one on.
    That's really important with Gammies, because they can rust out inside the plating. Once the rust starts they break really easy. I've switched entirely to the new Mustad stainless with the long points. Can't remember the model # off the top of my head. Really a better hook design, and with Mustad's new manufacturing process (following the purchase of Partridge), they're putting out much sharper hooks. I have no numbers to back it up, but I swear I'm getting lots more hookups and losing fewer fish with the Mustads than with the Gammies. If you haven't tried them, it's nice to know that design has moved a step beyond Gammie now.

Default Where do you get them?

BB...where do you get those Mustad stainless siwash?

i'll look for the mustad's.... wicked sharp is good, but gammies don't last and that's no secret.
    typically i put a new hook on every time i use a spoon. just makes sense.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I get them locally (Macks Sport Shop). I'll be in there tomorrow and will check on the model. Macks is on the web, but their site is more about the store and Kodiak and not set up for orders. I'm in year 2 on them on some of my jigs, and they still look good as new. A little more expensive than comparable Gammies, but not when you consider how often you throw away Gammies.

I tried to find them online, and think it's their 95165 Salmon Hook. They don't call it a "siwash," but that's what it is. You'll love that loooooong point. It only comes in 6/0 and 7/0, so it's not useful for Pixies, but they're on every dart jig and Apex I own.

I'll reconfirm the number at Macks tomorrow and get back to you if it's different.

I was close, but no banana. It's the 95170. They call it a "hollow point hook" rather than a siwash, but it's sure a siwash to me. Locally they stock only the 7/0 and 8/0, though on the site it goes down to 4/0, but at nearly a buck apiece local, you could surely find them cheaper somewhere else. I use the 7/0, but even the 4/0 is waaaay too big for the original question about Pixies.

Sorry for the diversion from your original question Mapman5, but if you noodle around the Mustad site from the link I provided, you'll see other smaller stainless siwash.

Mustad 95170s are a great hook! In another life I used them exclusively while commercial salmon trolling out of Sitka during the 90s. I used mostly 6/0 and 7/0 - they were my go-to spoon hooks and plug hooks. Pixies are pretty light so I wonder if you can find a small size in this siwash that will allow it to still keep its action.

I have always gotten good support from Mustad. Their site on line will steer you toward a local source for their hooks or give you info for someone in the region who can take your order for your hooks. You may also wish to try Mustad's #10848BLN - a siwash that I have been having good luck with on smaller salmon spoons. They are made of a lot lighter wire than the 95170s but are easy to keep sharp and hold fish very well.

I have been trying Matsuo siwash "sickle" hooks with some success on coho spoons. This is another light wire (very sharp) hook. I have found these to be a good "holding" hook due to their design. They may be a little more difficult to find in Pixie sizes, but Google-up "rvrfshr" down in Oregon and see if they can help you out. Good luck with your quest!

Gamakatsu Octopus > Siwash. They may not last as long, but are much better at hooking and holding.

Default Thanks Brownbear and all...

I'll have to go online, I am in Idaho now and when I come to Alaska in a couple weeks I'll be in Valdez and very limited tackle there..although I will be in Fairbanks a couple of weeks first, any recommendations for a good tackle store there? (for Pixie siwash, of course!)

I use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks, 3/0-5/0 for various salmon. I have and will put them on lures, and they work well. I'm just a gammie guy since I've never had better success rates since I switched to them.

Here's a link for bulk orders. 25 hooks for $8-$9 is NOT a bad price for Gamakatsu's.

http://www.tackledirect.com/gamakats...ooks-bulk.html

Exclamation

95170 is my favourite, the turned in point sticks and stays stuck, being soft stainless you can put a wicked edge on it easy.

Post Question about your Mustad 10848BLN

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    Mustad 95170s are a great hook! In another life I used them exclusively while commercial salmon trolling out of Sitka during the 90s. I used mostly 6/0 and 7/0 - they were my go-to spoon hooks and plug hooks. Pixies are pretty light so I wonder if you can find a small size in this siwash that will allow it to still keep its action.

I have always gotten good support from Mustad. Their site on line will steer you toward a local source for their hooks or give you info for someone in the region who can take your order for your hooks. You may also wish to try Mustad's #10848BLN - a siwash that I have been having good luck with on smaller salmon spoons. They are made of a lot lighter wire than the 95170s but are easy to keep sharp and hold fish very well.

I have been trying Matsuo siwash "sickle" hooks with some success on coho spoons. This is another light wire (very sharp) hook. I have found these to be a good "holding" hook due to their design. They may be a little more difficult to find in Pixie sizes, but Google-up "rvrfshr" down in Oregon and see if they can help you out. Good luck with your quest!
    Just stumbled onto this great post of yours. Have used 9510 (similar stainless hook, but without the bent in tip) for years and just learned about 95170 (looks like I should have been using it all along instead). But... my question is about the Mustad 10848BLN which I have also just learned reading through Mustad's site. I haved salmon fished in Washington State for over 20 years and followed the "barbless" hook rules for at least 10 years now. (Don't know how many others do. ) As I have not personally used a hook that won't rust other than the stainless, my fear about the 10848 is that squeezing the siwash eye and cutting off the barb are going to cause major rusting in those spots (assuming that the whole hook doesn't rust). And, of course, there's the issue of resharpening the hooks, which you can always do with stainless without introducing a rusting problem.

Based on your write-up, it looks to me like you are probably the perfect person to tell me how quickly the 10848 rusts. (I normally build my spoon rigs and use them for some time, rather than replace hooks ever time or every other time that I go.)

I am most grateful for your sharing your expertise!

I change-out my hooks fairly regularly on spoons during the season because of a lot of filing on points. The hooks I ordered are smaller than I was looking for and are connected to 5/0 spoons. I haven't noticed much of any discoloration on used 10848 hooks. I have no experience with removing barbs but would suspect that cutting off the barb may cause discoloration or change the temper of the 10848. Best of luck.