Thread: steelhead while dipping the copper?

Default steelhead while dipping the copper?

I was wondering if any one you guys have ever caught any steelhead while dipping in the copper? If so was there any frequency to it or any time frame that seemed to be more prevalent?

Thanks,

Matt

Default Even if you did

I have not caught any steelhead, but even if you did, your not allowed to keep them. They would have to be immediately returned to the river. I have been going down there for the last 6 years, and have not had anyone in my part net one either.

CubeCove

Default not interested in retention

Not interested at all in retention. Don't dip. Just wondering if anyone has pulled one out?

I've heard stories, but never seen it.

Supposedly sturgeon in there, too. THAT would be interesting in a dipnet....

Since sturgeon are not in our regs as a game fish, could you keep it if you had one in the net? you could mark it on your permit under other fish.

it would be cool to get one just to say you did and here is the proof

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Not interested at all in retention. Don't dip. Just wondering if anyone has pulled one out?
    Steelhead are regularly caught - most folks have no idea what they are, figuring they were jack kings.

I have caught steal head on the Anchor and caught them dipping at kasilof. i just cant see how a person could mistake one for a Jack or another salmon in general. last year I took a friend who had never caught a salmon dip netting she new right away that whet she had in the net was no salmon when she got one.

Default steelhead

I have caught steelhead on at least two occasions, maybe more...also burbot.....That is in the Copper.....

It's just a guess, but I think we've netted about 10 steelhead since I started taking my boat down there in 2005. One of our regular spots has several burbot in it as well and we net a few of those every year. It always cracks us up when a 10" burbot hits harder than a big red.

I've had smaller pike and burbot in my net before at Chitina... politely released on thier merry way.

Still waiting on a mermaid...

I've netted one steelhead in about 10 yrs dippin! It was a nice one too! Woulda been cooler on my flyrod!

So, if I catch a burbot, can I keep that? Them's good eatin'!!

Default YES!

I have caught a few Steelhead. All of them strangely were on the "far side" of the river.

To me, they are unmistakeable. Snub-nosed, spotted, over-grown Rainbows. I knew right away what it was, and that was after I was severely worn out from dipping. iN the copper