Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster M4 Scope?

Default Bushmaster M4 Scope?

Alright AR guys, I have a 16" 223 that I drug out today and put a couple 30 round clips through with std sites. I was good offhand at 25yds but after that it was less than good. Could hit a man size tgt at 50 and off a rest at 100 I didn't even hit the 24" sq backboard! Yikes!
    So, being an old scope man I figure enuff and its time to drop a scope of some type on it. I would like to keep it a 100yd gun - but have a little wiggle room to get out to 250 maybe??
    I am looking at
    A Leuopld 1.5 x 4 x 20 ?
    B Leupy 2 x 7 x 33
    C Holo Site of some make???
    D Leupy Mark 4 - 3 x 9 x 40 Very Pricy I think for a Plinker Gun???
    Anybody got a set up they really like?

And, I was shooting some Wolf steel cased 55gn HP - they fed fine thru a all steel mag of some brand?
    But, I had 3 jams when I used a Bushmaster Mag Aluminum with a plastic cartridge feeder? Anybody have any inputs on that?
    Thanks

I went w/ a nikon 2-7 x32 and I am happy w/ it as far as size and power goes. I would prefer the leupy that you list as option B. If I wanted to put more money than that into it then a Trijicon Aimpoint would fit the bill. I use mine for predator hunting and occasionally cracking a bunny in the head. For defense then an eotech halo sight or trijicon ACOG would be pretty sweet.

Lujon,
    OK, what height rings did you end up with? Brand?
    Did the front site interfere or did you remove it?
    Thanks

Are you talking about a flat top or carrining handle reciever?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Al

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Are you talking about a flat top or carrining handle reciever?
    I have the Carry Handle version - plan on removing the handle ...

Default scope

My wife and I both have Bushmaster ORC carbines and put EOTech sights on them. We are planning on much long range shooting, 100 yards or less. So far they both work just fine. It seems that as we get a older the eye sight is not as good as it once was. Have you thought about one of the smaller 36mm scopes?
    Hope that you find a sight that suits your needs and have lots of fun with it.

I would suggest the EOTech XPS site with a 3X magnifier, but then you're getting up there in price again.

The magnifier flips out of the way with a flick of a finger for close work, but is there for longer shots.

I love my setup like this.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default Appreciate the tips!

I mounted a Leupold 2x7x33 last night with med or high rings - to low - front site interferred - gonna try a set of Weaver XX high and see if that does it.
    If scope gets too high I will not like it either.
    I may just have to look at the EOTech, since I had a Leupold collecting dust I thought it would be wise to try that first!
    I probably should have just bought the tgt mdl to start with and scoped it - oh well, its just a fun project anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I mounted a Leupold 2x7x33 last night with med or high rings - to low - front site interferred - gonna try a set of Weaver XX high and see if that does it.
    If scope gets too high I will not like it either.
    I may just have to look at the EOTech, since I had a Leupold collecting dust I thought it would be wise to try that first!
    I probably should have just bought the tgt mdl to start with and scoped it - oh well, its just a fun project anyways...
    You could always pull the front A-frame and replace it with a pictinny gas block. If you want iron sights then pick up a flip up front sight and use whatever height rings felt comfortable.

Default A Frame

LuJon,
    I have never been around the AR style guns - no military in my background - so excuse the ignorance but I assume the entire front site on this is called the A Frame?
    Since that has the sling attachment built in, does the pic gas block also have the sling attachment or is there more I would need to buy?

Also, you said you have the Nikon on yours - did you get the new .223 model scope and do you like it?
    Thanks.

There are a couple things about the AR that make it great. 1 is the vast amount of custom parts available for it. There are many front gas block designs out there and certainly one of them will suite your needs perfectly.

The 2nd awesome thing about the AR platform is you can get all the parts and learn to build them on the internet!! I put together my stripped lower receiver by downloading instructions off of AR15.com and watching videos on www.youtube.com

In fact if you want to know exactly what is involved in removing a A-frame style front sight and replacing it with a gas block then just check out this video from brownells~

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ch...l-267095/view/

Default Thanks

Much appreciated LuJon....

How about that Nikon scope? Ya get the .223 model???

I really am having fun when using my AR while having to move and call coyotes in the short openings and smaller fields in my area. I am using the 52gr HP Brown Bear Ammo (averaging 2907fps) but also starting to reload and will use the 55gr Sierra Game King.

Here is my AR with open sights and then with a Leupold VX-II 2-7X33mm.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default OOOOO I Like!

What height mts are those BTooth?

Also, what kinda accuracy do ya get at say 100yd?
    Thanks for the pics - very nice....

What height mts are those BTooth?

Also, what kinda accuracy do ya get at say 100yd?
    Thanks for the pics - very nice....
    Here is a five shot group at 100yds with the Brown Bear ammo 52gr HP at 2907fps out of a 16" barrel and the squares are not 1" but 9/10". Also, when I change to open sights and back to scope neither one of them looses zero. Those are medium mounts because I have the Optic model.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Peachy!

Thanks - Looks like 1 Min of Coyote to me!

Thanks - Looks like 1 Min of Coyote to me!
    My handloads will be make a world of difference when I get through, but the Brown Bear ammo is working for the present as long as I am 200yds and in. My hand loads will be good enough I hope for 300yd shots with my AR on Coyotes.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Coyote guns

My favorite Coyote guns have been:
    1. Ruger 77R - .280 / 3x10x40 Leupy
    2. Rem 700 6MM / Redfield 6X
    3. Rem 10ga auto - #4 Buck thats a thumper! Roles em good out to about 90 - 100 yds! Can't find the 4 buck anymore in 10 ga - I have part of a case left in Federals.... Best day was 13 + 2 Red Fox - I got 7 of the coyotes!

In longer fields I use my 22-250, 260 and also my 30-06 when deer hunting and see them way off.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well since we are showing them off...

No I don't have the .223 scope. I have a run of the mill nikon 2-7x thirty-somthin_or_other. It gets the job done and is pretty compact, oh and was under $150 bucks so I got no complaints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast