Thread: How to extend range? Bayliner 2070

Default How to extend range? Bayliner 2070

I'm running an older Bayliner 2070--1984 I believe. Just my second summer with her, and I'm trying to figure a better way to haul extra fuel to extend my range. She's got a single carburetor Volvo four cylinder and a 40 gallon aluminum tank under the deck. I usually carry 20 extra in jerry cans. I hate having the darn jerry cans in the way on deck, especially after I've emptied them! And twenty extra gallons still doesn't get me the range I'd like sometimes. Any suggestion for carrying extra fuel in some sort of collapsible container? Or maybe fitting some auxiliary tanks under deck? Looking for ideas! THANKS!

Can you get the old tank out and make room for a bigger tank? My Sea Ray has a WM tank that was installed in the center and is 48 gal

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Custom Fuel Bladders

I used a fuel bladder below deck in a storage area, it was 100+ gallons and never leaked over a couple years of use,(many times filling at the dock and transfering to main tanks out on the grounds when needed) you might need a small transfer pump if you don't have one now but something has to be plumbed in to the fittings, manual pumps won't work but you might be able to gravity feed it to your other tanks if up on deck for the run out.

it's kinda hard to get your head around it when you see one filled but they are well proven and by my experience may be perfect for your need.
    Try this link or search around some but you can have them custom built for the space you have or try one of the myriad of sizes available prebuilt,

http://www.marinefuelbladders.com/

They really are reliable and then can be folded up like a tent to store when you transfer to another tank or however you use it, when empty it's is out of the way
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Can you get the old tank out and make room for a bigger tank? My Sea Ray has a WM tank that was installed in the center and is 48 gal
    I doubt that this can be done without either pulling the engine, cutting the deck, or both....hoping to avoid both if possible.

Default You need to check all available spaces...

Below your deck. Lots of tanks in various shapes available, from under the gunnel side tanks, to front v-shaped bow tanks, to various rectangular; also custom tanks can be made. You would need access of course. If one of these works for you, then the tank you choose might be able to gravity feed into your existing tank, or you can run a separate fuel line to the one going to your fuel pump on the engine, and put in a simple switch.

I had a boat for six years with only a 25 gal tank, 4-cyl Mercruiser, no range at all, carried about 50 gal of fuel sometimes in extra cans, but I had a place on shore to store it once I got there. Just wasn't space under deck for an auxilary tank, except for only an 18 gal one in the bow.

Good luck! Oh....you can always get a new boat with a 156 gal tank like I did!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I used a fuel bladder below deck in a storage area, it was 100+ gallons and never leaked over a couple years of use,(many times filling at the dock and transfering to main tanks out on the grounds when needed) you might need a small transfer pump if you don't have one now but something has to be plumbed in to the fittings, manual pumps won't work but you might be able to gravity feed it to your other tanks if up on deck for the run out.

it's kinda hard to get your head around it when you see one filled but they are well proven and by my experience may be perfect for your need.
    Try this link or search around some but you can have them custom built for the space you have or try one of the myriad of sizes available prebuilt,

http://www.marinefuelbladders.com/

They really are reliable and then can be folded up like a tent to store when you transfer to another tank or however you use it, when empty it's is out of the way
    Thanks for the tip--though they look expensive, this might just be the thing that would work for me....

Default total cost

Yeah, they are a bit spendy, you might keep searching around as I just found a quick first link to give you the idea, not price shopping,
    Here's another tho not cheap either it may budget out in comparison to pulling your deck up to install another rigid tank

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/2817-d...-l-x-63-w.html
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Do you carry a dingy on the roof?? If so the empty cans can go up and under.The first stop we make on long distance trip we`ll top off and throw the empties up.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Do you carry a dingy on the roof?? If so the empty cans can go up and under.The first stop we make on long distance trip we`ll top off and throw the empties up.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no, we carry inflatable kayaks that stow below decks when underway. Still, I could stick the jerry cans up there and strap 'em down--if there's room next to the shrimp pots!