Thread: Any suggestions on a 3 or 4 day float!!

Default Any suggestions on a 3 or 4 day float!!

Hey I grew up here in Alaska and just moved back up here after being gone for 8 years. I spent most my time on the kenai or in homer. I would like some ideas of what is up north. I have a 12' riken raft and a 16' harborcraft alum. I also have new 4 wheller if that helps. would like a float that dosent require a fly in or out but not totally against it.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Gulkana / Chulitna

You have two options if your just looking to float or float fish during the summer that require less effort and both have road access.

Paxon Lake to Sourdough Landing Gulkana River Class I, II and III and on a good day IV if the water is way up for a short period.

Chulitna River East Fork down to the Park bridge Class I, II normal water conidtions.

Shoot me a PM if you wish the details

I've floated the Gulkana for the last four years. PM me.

How rough is the canyon on the upper gulkana.

Rick

Default Canyon Gulkana

Depending on what your comfortable with it is not bad however during high water the lines are difficult to pick out leaving you a couple of nasty rocks to deal with.

One persons Class II water is another Class IV if you know what I mean.

I run two training trips a year with assistant guides who have one to two years worth of stick time they handle it with no problems however that being said I always end up helping someone off the rocks while guiding every year.

Scout it pick a good line and go through with no gear and it should not be an over-whelming challenge.

If you PM me I will send you some close-ups of the lower and upper sections of it.

The Little Nelchina to Tazlina to Copper Center is about 5-6 days, and requires no air access, but you can do just the Tazina in 3 days with a very short (<10 mile) airplane ride in to Tazlina Lake. Pretty place, and not run much. Mostly fast class I & II with one short class III spot right in the middle.

There are also seveal sections of the Matanuska River that can be run in 3-4 days. It's never far from the road, but always feels like wilderness.

Most of my favorite floats are more like 5-7 days.

Can any of ya'll give some more info on these trips? I do have an Alaska Rafting book.

Can you give more details on times / put ins / etc?

Thanks

Default Information

Quote Originally Posted by akrafter View Post
    Can any of ya'll give some more info on these trips? I do have an Alaska Rafting book.

Can you give more details on times / put ins / etc?

Thanks
    Rafter,

The information you seek has been posted already, or it is easily found in Karen Jettmar's "Alaska River Guide". Karen's book is currently out of print, but is scheduled to reprint this spring. You can likely find a used copy at Amazon if you don't have one already. My upcoming book has writeups on some of these places as well, and that will be available in April.

Meanwhile, look through the Alaska Atlas and Gazeteer. In almost every case, where a road crosses one of these rivers, you can put your boat in the water there! Purchase the 1:63,360 series USGS topo maps of the area, along with a digital map wheel and use it to measure the mileage of the river on your maps. Make a mark every five miles directly on your maps, and this, combined with GPS position readings in the field, will help you track your progress on the river. On most float hunts you want to plan on traveling ten miles per day at the most, if it's a Class I-II river. If you try to do more than that, it's not a hunt, it's a boat ride.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Unhappy Alaska River Guide

Good luck finding the book....best wait for the reprint...I have searched everywhere for it.

Thumbs up The Alaska River Guide

Quote Originally Posted by MoDog View Post
    Good luck finding the book....best wait for the reprint...I have searched everywhere for it.
    MoDog,

You are correct that the ARG is out of print. According to Karen's website, a new release is imminent, and will contain a dozen new rivers.

Meanwhile, Amazon has several new and used copies available AT THIS LINK.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay