Thread: Moving to Juneau this summer, need a place!

Default Moving to Juneau this summer, need a place!

I'm making the leap! I took a job in Juneau and now I need a place for me, my wife, two kids, two dogs and a cat.

Any suggestions? Budget wise I'm going to want to go cheap for the first year as my wife doesn't have a job yet. I know, cheap and housing in Juneau don't go together. I've seen some inexpensive mobile homes for sale, any idea if that is a ridiculous idea?

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    I'm making the leap! I took a job in Juneau and now I need a place for me, my wife, two kids, two dogs and a cat.

Any suggestions? Budget wise I'm going to want to go cheap for the first year as my wife doesn't have a job yet. I know, cheap and housing in Juneau don't go together. I've seen some inexpensive mobile homes for sale, any idea if that is a ridiculous idea?

I dont know what kind of job your doing, but stay away from the Trailers if you can.

Living here isn't cheap as far as housing goes. You'll also be hard pressed to find a decent place for a decent amount that will allow pets.

Keep your eye on craigslist.com and juneauempire.com.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I dont know what kind of job your doing, but stay away from the Trailers if you can.

Living here isn't cheap as far as housing goes. You'll also be hard pressed to find a decent place for a decent amount that will allow pets.

Keep your eye on craigslist.com and juneauempire.com.

Yes, the dogs make getting a rental harder. A trailer isn't the best option, but looks like it may be the cheapest. I know we will likely have problems with pipes freezing and keeping warm in the winter.

Hope you like water. It comes in all shapes:

1. Cold and vertical.
    2. Cold and at various angles.
    3. Cold and horizontal.
    4. Cold and wet.
    5. Cold and wet and windy.

Did I mention it is cold and wet most of the time? For the three years I was there, I counted the minutes until I could leave and hang up my scuba gear. I never felt warm or dry. Warmth only lasts when standing in a hot shower, the feeling of being wet though, never dissipates.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Hope you like water. It comes in all shapes:

1. Cold and vertical.
    2. Cold and at various angles.
    3. Cold and horizontal.
    4. Cold and wet.
    5. Cold and wet and windy.

Did I mention it is cold and wet most of the time? For the three years I was there, I counted the minutes until I could leave and hang up my scuba gear. I never felt warm or dry. Warmth only lasts when standing in a hot shower, the feeling of being wet though, never dissipates.
    My wife is a chemist! I hope she can find a job in Juneau.

She says she likes wet, as for me, I'm glad I have an indoor job. Of all the things about Juneau, the wet is what worries me some.

It has been pretty warm and dry so far this year....

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    It has been pretty warm and dry so far this year....
    I'm sure that will change as soon as I get there on or about July 19.

Cool wet is relative

actually Juneau is not as wet as alot of SE, however a trailer may be a good alternative especially when you have pets. most rentals dont allow pets and the current rental vacancy rate in juneau is at about 0.5%