Thread: Anyone Heading up through canada next week?

Default Anyone Heading up through canada next week?

Looks like I'll be running a boat up the inside passage next week. I was wondering if anybody else had plans. I'll be leaving from Anacortes to Sitka to Deliver a new BAMF boat. its always better to partner up with somebody. I'll be running straight through trying to do it in 4 days. Hopefully the weather is nice.

Default Bellingham to Juneau in a 28' Regal with twins

Quote Originally Posted by mwf1973 View Post
    Looks like I'll be running a boat up the inside passage next week. I was wondering if anybody else had plans. I'll be leaving from Anacortes to Sitka to Deliver a new BAMF boat. its always better to partner up with somebody. I'll be running straight through trying to do it in 4 days. Hopefully the weather is nice.
    I'm leaving Bellingham on the 15th solo. It would be nice to cruise with a wing-man since this will be my first trip north of desilation sound. Let me know if you get delayed a week. Also, any additional tips or advice would be appreciated. I only have an 80 gal tank, and burn 18 g's per hour doing 30 knots. I plan to bring an additional 30 g's. Am I pushing it? Thanks

Ok, I may be gone by then but who knows, I'm sort of in standby right now. what size boat you running? not sure where desilation sound is at. My plan is to make Port Hardy on the first day. I'll be cruising at about 27-28 knots. I'll stop at Campbell River for dinner and fuel. next run will be to Klemtu, Ketchikan and then to Sitka. The weather can be unpredictable I dont plan on beating myself up but if the weather nice I'll keep going from dawn to dusk. There's lots of small bays and public docks to stop and rest or wait out weather. I would think you'd be stoping more for fuel. you might make campbell river it'd be close.

Default Bellingham to Juneau

Quote Originally Posted by mwf1973 View Post
    Ok, I may be gone by then but who knows, I'm sort of in standby right now. what size boat you running? not sure where desilation sound is at. My plan is to make Port Hardy on the first day. I'll be cruising at about 27-28 knots. I'll stop at Campbell River for dinner and fuel. next run will be to Klemtu, Ketchikan and then to Sitka. The weather can be unpredictable I dont plan on beating myself up but if the weather nice I'll keep going from dawn to dusk. There's lots of small bays and public docks to stop and rest or wait out weather. I would think you'd be stoping more for fuel. you might make campbell river it'd be close.
    I'll be running a 28" Regal with twins. It likes to cruise at about 30 to 32 knots. I'm hoping a buddy will accompany me on the way up, but not sure. I can't leave until the 13, 14, or 15th. Yes, the weather can be very uppredictable and my boat is in great shape /very seaworthy, but a little on the small side to be taking it across the charolette straights. I plan to monitor the weather in Pt Hardy also and shoot across when the weather permits. Again, if you get delayed, let me know. What size boat will you be running?

Quote Originally Posted by silverstagknives View Post
    I'll be running a 28" Regal with twins. It likes to cruise at about 30 to 32 knots. I'm hoping a buddy will accompany me on the way up, but not sure. I can't leave until the 13, 14, or 15th. Yes, the weather can be very uppredictable and my boat is in great shape /very seaworthy, but a little on the small side to be taking it across the charolette straights. I plan to monitor the weather in Pt Hardy also and shoot across when the weather permits. Again, if you get delayed, let me know. What size boat will you be running?
    I'll be running a 29' BAMF, My cruising speed is 28-30 knots. Sounds like this might work out I may wait a week and run with you. I need to have the boat there by the 18th. give me a call my number is 907-738-0902. we can discuss trip plans.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by silverstagknives View Post
    I'm leaving Bellingham on the 15th solo. It would be nice to cruise with a wing-man since this will be my first trip north of desilation sound. Let me know if you get delayed a week. Also, any additional tips or advice would be appreciated. I only have an 80 gal tank, and burn 18 g's per hour doing 30 knots. I plan to bring an additional 30 g's. Am I pushing it? Thanks
    Sounds like you don't have a whole lot of range. If my math's right, with a total of 110 gallons (80+30), you've got about 6 hours running time at 30 kts, for a total of around 180 nm. That's probably enough, but fuel is scarce and far between in some parts of the Inside Passage, so make sure you've worked out in advance everywhere you're going to get fuel along the way. The stretch between Queen Charlotte Strait and Prince Rupert is particularly sparse as I recall.

I'm a bit confussed. Desolation Sound is before Port Hardy north straights of Georgia? or is there a Desilation Sound I've searched Google earth and only come up with desolation sound. Bhollis is right not sure where you'd plan on fueling between past port hardy Bella Bella is 100 miles or Klemtu which is about 160 miles. I'd call and make sure their open.