Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting knife

Default Hunting knife

I got drawn for a cow moose hunt this year above mento. Im looking for a good all aroung knife for skinning moose,bear, and caribou. What are some good suggestions?

Cutco Drop point hunting knife(prefer serrated edge), AWESOME knife. So far I've skinned/quartered three bears, 1 deer, small game and a moose within the last year and it finally is starting to show some dullness(just send it in to get sharpened for free). Great knife, and they can be had fairly affordable too(got mine for $70 AOD group buy). They seem to be fairly popular knives up here.

Thumbs up Agree with the Cutco

My wife and I love our Cutco drop points. We have the "non-serrated" edge. Holds a great edge on moose, bear, caribou, etc. Whatever you get, try to get one with a bright (orange) handle. I'm always amazed at folks who buy "camo" knives, as they're easy to lose in the field and dangerous (if you lay it down while skinning, then kneel on it by accident).

Here's a link to a photo:

http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=5719

I'm always leary of companies that dont post the price of their products on their website, would any of you Cutco owners mind sharing what you paid for your hunting knife?

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I'm always leary of companies that dont post the price of their products on their website, would any of you Cutco owners mind sharing what you paid for your hunting knife?
    I bought mine in a group buy they had here on AOD a few years back, I believe it was $72. I dont know why they dont have the prices on there site, it seems they used too. I've seen them on eBay too for great prices.

Cutco Non-serrated. I wanted something I could sharpen out in the field if i needed to so i went non-serrated. I also went with the blaze orange handle because i agree with what has been said. it doesnt have to necessarly be camo though, black handle knifes do the same thing, the easily get lost and become dangerous. I also got my name and # engraved on the blade of mine.

Some killer deals too for cutcos on eBay

I highly recommend 2 knives. The Cutco serrated and a Havelon piranta. Get the serrated and butcher all the animals you can kill in a year then send it in during the off season. There is a cutco dealer in Anc and he is a good guy by all accounts so I bought mine directly from him. The Havelon knife is a pocket knife that uses scalpel blades. It is ridiculously sharp and when it gets dull or you break a blade you just snap a new one in place and get back to work. The Havalon is also very light weight and 100 blades will run you around $30 and keep the average hunter in razor sharp bliss for several years. The Havel knife is also available w/ a blaze orange handle and is the only one I would buy. The black and gray handle disappears if you set it down for a second and that can be extremely dangerous with an exposed scalpel blade!!!

I carry a number of knives with me but the one I end up using the most is my outdoor edge swing-blade. The skinning blade works great and just swing it around for normal cutting. I also carry a knives of Alaska cub bear and muskrat and a gerber 9" fillet knife. They all serve a purpose and wont leave home without them. Along with the knives I also carry a gerber exchange a blade saw.
    Yep, lots of extra weight but well worth it when you are skinning and butchering game in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    I got drawn for a cow moose hunt this year above mento. Im looking for a good all aroung knife for skinning moose,bear, and caribou. What are some good suggestions?
    As with a lot of things, if you want to find out what works the most efficiently, look to see what the professionals are using. No different with butchering moose bear or what ever, look to see what knives the butchers working on the slaughter house floors are using.
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)

Smile Havalon

Havalon Piranta. My main knife now.

It is way more about knowing what your doing than it is about the knife. If you are skilled you can do it with an ESTWING Axe, or a Muskrat skinner. That said, something in the 3 1/2" to 5" drop point, with lots of belly would be my choice. Now capeing a moose requires a special blade for the top cut.

If you really get into the knife world, there are thousands of knives out there. Quite a few production knives, Cutco, Case, Kershaw, Benchmade, Spyderco. probably about 50 more brands.
    I've been surfing www.bladeforums.com and www.knifedogs.com. Both have more knife info on them than you have time to read. Both have for sale forums for both production and custom knives. You can get pretty decent custom knives for 100 bucks or so.

I would definately recommend owning a havalon. It's useful for alot of work in the field. But I would also get a more stout bladed knife. Pick up and hold several different knives over the next couple months and see what feels comfortable for you.

Of course the more knives you look at, the harder the decision is going to be!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There a knife that called Knifes of Alaska hands down better that the over priced cutco. Have one don't use since I got a set of knifes of alaska there 4inch bear cub knife is really nice and also the mushkut knife for skinng is great. never heard of a Havalon Piranta have to take a look and try one.

Default kershaw blade trader

has anyone used the kershaw blade trader that they sell at sportsmans. It looks really sharp and fair priced for the three knives in one. if so how long does it stay sharp before you have to sharpen it. thanks for any replies

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy1 View Post
    has anyone used the kershaw blade trader that they sell at sportsmans. It looks really sharp and fair priced for the three knives in one. if so how long does it stay sharp before you have to sharpen it. thanks for any replies
    Unless they changed the blade lock (I don't think they have) then it is junk. Not saying you can't butcher a moose w/ it but it sure would suck to have that lock give way (and it is weak) then be stuck finishing up w/ no handle on your blade!

thanks for the info. i bought one last year but unfortunately haven't had a chance to use it on skinning yet. I will definitely bring along another knife maybe one that was mentioned here. thanks again

Havalon Piranta is the best. The only reason I ever carry any other knife is to gut goats when I am in a hurry (I have broken off the Piranta blades inside a goat a few times while hurrying) and making the primary cuts on a moose.

There throw away knifes they work ok for one use. ok deal for 56 bucks. Look at the alaska knifes there a sportsman u will be very happy with a set.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy1 View Post

Default Kershaw Blade Trader...

...I used it to skin and butcher a moose, a goat, and dozens of deer and it worked great. Never had a problem with the blade lock. My main knife is now the Havalon because of weight, but yet to try it on big game. I will still take the Trader with for moose hunts.

Here is another question i have carried a Buck110 hunter for a lot of years now but never usedit for hunting has any one ever used it in the field? Thanks for all of the comments!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast