Thread: Instrument rating in own A/C

Default Instrument rating in own A/C

I am figuring out how to upgrade my A/C so I can get my instrument rating in it.

I fly out of PAFA.

I know that I need :

VOR / LOC / Glideslope Indicator
    NAV/COMM with Glideslope
    Marker Beacon

I don't know much about instruments / or instrument flying but reading on the approach I saw "ADF required."

I just got rid of my ADF a couple years ago. So do I need to install one again?

What about the ILS at Eiielsen? I don't have approach plates in front of me so you might check that out. I can't remember if the ADF is required there of not. I would suggest you talk to the examiner who will do the checkride. You could probably simulate the approach without the adf in VFR conditions, but that would be up to the examiner. I'm guessing there is most likely a way to do this without installing an ADF ....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by akbou View Post
    I don't know much about instruments / or instrument flying but reading on the approach I saw "ADF required."

I would suggest you consider two hours in your aircraft under the hood with a instructor using just your VFR equipment doing maneuvers. Just to see if you really want to invest the money for the instruments and cost of IFR rating.

Speaking only for my experience, I feel that I learned a lot about flying in getting the commercial rating, in both the book learning & the joy of doing the commercial maneuvers. All I ever learned in getting IFR rated, is that I did not ever want to EVER be in "IMC" in a Single Engine aircraft.

Fairbanks Ak

I think you need the ADF for the missed approach. I think I would look into getting the garmin gps, that would take care of a lot of that equipment you are talking about.
    Flying instruments is a kick.

Get your instrument ticket and use it as often as you can. I have thousands of instrument hours and I can't tell you how much more comfortable you become with the "obvious" command that you have with currency and proficiency on the gauges. Normally you won't be launching into the soup in AK in a single, but inadvertent encounters will not strike up terror. Your instrument ticket WILL make you a better pilot. Breaking out at mins and seeing the numbers is always satisfying.

I'd think that ADF's are pretty inexpensive right now...there are probably 135 carriers with a few sitting around collecting dust. Back it up with your portable GPS and you're all set.

Good luck!

The latest Instrument Rating Practical Test Standards on page 7 you will find a list of the required items that the aircraft needs to be equiped with, the key items are:

1. The aircraft is certificated and airworthy.
    2. The aircraft operating limitations must not prohibit the tasks required on the test.
    3. The aircraft must have those flight instruments that are required for controlling the aircraft without outside references.
    4. The aircraft will need radio equipment for communications with ATC, this means voice and transponder.
    5. The aircraft will need navigational equipment so that any two nonprecision approaches (VOR,NDB,GPS,LOC,LDA,SDF,RNAV) and one precision approach (ILS,GLS,LPV,MLS) may be accomplished. GPS equipment must be IFR certified and contain the current database.

You may perform one non-precision approach and one precision approach on an approved flight simulator or flight training device during the Instrument Check Ride. That leaves one non-precision approach (different than the one demonstrated on the sim or training device) to be done in during the flight portion of the check ride. This is something that should be worked out in advance with the instructor and the DPE just to make sure you don't run into any snags about the training device being approved or not. That means that if all you have is one VOR or ADF in your aircraft you can still take an Instrument Check Ride in that aircraft. Pat O'Hare at Birchwood used to do all his instrument students that way. I'm not sure if he still does but you could give him a call.