Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with experience with Weatherby Vanguard Rifles?

Default Anyone with experience with Weatherby Vanguard Rifles?

I have a pretty good deal on getting a Weatherby Vanguard 338 Magnum Rifle. Anybody here who has a Vanguard Rifle have any bad things to say about them? Hopefully this wont be a thread about peoples "my gun is bigger or better than yours" but just some helpful tips on helping me decide if one of these is right for me. Thanks and Thanks again for all the useful info shared in all the other threads!!! Cheers!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Thumbs up Vanguard 30-06 Stainless

I have a Vanguard, it is a solid, well built rifle. Leupold VIII 3X9, Warne Mounts and Rings. It is a tack driver. The only issue was setting up the scope initially. Leupold bases and rings would not work with the rifle. Ordered the correct Warne setup, and no more problem. I think they are well worth the money.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Soldatna Dave:
    I've never owned one, but I like them, and I haven't heard ANY bad things about them. As a matter of fact, quite the opposite.
    Smitty of the North

Stick with the WARNE'S and you will be a very happy camper. Vanguards are excellent rifles @ very good prices already, so if you can get one for cheap you better do it. These rifles have a great feel and are about the right weight to take the sting out of a 338.

CZ

Default vanguards

My dad gave me a 30-06 vangurd the summer I turned 11. I worked my butt off for him to prove I deserved it. For over ten years it was the only high powered rifel I owned. Ive never had a bit of problems with it even after treating it to the worst Alaska has to offer. The wood stock is a little beaten but thats not the guns fault. It is a little, I mean a lot heavy though for packing in the mountains. I can know carry five days more food since I switched to something lighter anything. Weight is the only downside of this gun to me. Otherwise it preforms flawlessly still have it and will pass it on to my kids.

I once owned a Vangard in 7mm mag. It was a shooter and never failed me. Its one of those that I wished I had back!

I love the ergonomics of the Weatherbys. They just feel good when you shoulder them!

Quote Originally Posted by H. C. View Post
    I have a Vanguard, it is a solid, well built rifle. Leupold VIII 3X9, Warne Mounts and Rings. It is a tack driver. The only issue was setting up the scope initially. Leupold bases and rings would not work with the rifle. Ordered the correct Warne setup, and no more problem. I think they are well worth the money.
    I bought one last Spring in 22-250. I too had a problem with the Leupold rings but my dealer helped me find ones (Leupold) that worked. We just kept trying different sized until the scope zero out with a bore sight. Other than that I love it. and never had a malfunction yet. And very accurate at that.

dang good rifle for the money. I have one in 300wby. it is a decent shooter, not the best to look at, the fit and finish is pretty good just low frills, never had a problem one with it. the only gripes I have is the weight is kinda chunky.

Default Vanguard vs. .....

If shopping for a Vanguard, and would like to pay even a bit less, take a look at the Howa. Howa's been making the Vanguard to Weatherby specs since what, 1970? You canget the Weatherby cartridges in the Howa, but not much more than a 22 or 24 inch barrel, but the guts are the same. The same basic rifle has also been the S&W 1500 and a Mossberg.
    A recent trip through the trap line locally found two .243 Howa barreled actions at $250 apiece asking price, new in the box.
    Thread attached is a pretty good discussion about them...

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/reloa...ames;read=2773

Thumbs up Vanguard Rifles

I own and have owned Weatherby Vanguards in 30-06 .338-06 and 300wby mag for years. The Vanguard line is manufactured by Howa MFG. Japan. These rifles are precision instruments and will stand up to the task at hand. They are well built and a great bang for the buck. the 338 win mag is a great selection as that rifle will hold value for years to come. Aftermarket parts are spendy if you want to upgrade the stock rifle.
    I found that Redfield and Burris scope bases really work well on that action. They are smooth actions and load well. A assume you are looking at a stainless steel/synthetic model?
    The actions on these rifles are smooth and fast. They are based on a Mauser action (my personal favorite action.)
    As Cadillac is to Chevy the Vanguard is to the Mossberg 1500, Smith & Wesson 1500, Howa Lightning and the newest name to the same rifle, the Legacy Sports M-1500 which is optionally loaded up with Hogue rubber stocks, carbon fiber barrels, Knoxx recoil systems, and Nikko Stirling Optics.
    The same rifle with many names but all the same quality. You can score a Howa Lightning or M-1500 for around 500.00 new or a Vanguard in the same caliber for around 800.00 new.
    Vanguard rifles manufactured between 1970 and 1993 however has a pending recall posted last year. You can return them to the factory for a safety upgrade. This is for the bolt only and actually it's only the bolt sleeve. Some bolt sleeves came loose on a few rifles, so Howa is replacing the safety. The rifles involved in the recall bear serial numbers form the following series on the receiver: 00001-03810, V00001-V80966, VX00001-VX44065, VS0001-VS23699, VL00001-VL46984, W0001-W0099 and NV0001-NV0099. Call before sending the bolt for repair at (800) 227-2018, ext. 999 or online at vanguard.weatherby.com/consumer_register.php.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Be sure to check out the trigger of the gun you are going to buy. Most of them have absolutely hideous triggers. I'm sure they can be worked on by a qualified gunsmith, but I'd find out about that before I bought it. Does anyone else have any experience "crisping" a current Vanguard trigger? Seriously, off the shelf most of them have the worst triggers I have ever encountered. FYI, they take the same bases as a Remington model 700. I'd also agree that it's tough to beat Warne for the money.

Has anyone ever seen a Weatherby Vanguard stainless chambered in .257 Weatherby up here in Alaska?

Are you referring to the Warne "weaver style" mounts? Which Warne model exactly? I checked out their web page, but wasn't too impressed. Maybe I am missing something...

I did the trigger on mine...it was pretty poor. and I have seen a .257 wby in a vanguard

I have a Vanguard in 300Wby and a Mark V in 270Win. I have nothing but praise for Weatherby rifles. I really like the Monte Carlo stocks and upgraded my Vanguard to a Bell & Carlson, similar to the standard-equipment Mark V Ultra Lightweight stock. They fit me perfectly.

Thumbs up

I bought a Vanguard Compact in 7mm08 for my son (10 yo) this past Christmas. It came with both a youth stock and an adult-sized stock. Kind of like 2 guns for the price of 1. The trigger is not the best, but it is adjustable and could be smoothed up even more by a smith if need be. Accuracy is pretty good out of the box and we'll be working more on that with handloads when it gets a little warmer. We scoped it with a Burris FFII and Talley Lightweight's. The Talley's fit just fine. We find it to be a reasonably priced, well functioning and fitting rifle that can grow with him.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

WHATEVERI8 YES, I am refering to the Synthetic And Stainless Version of these. Thanks for all the information about scope rings and the trigger, I think I wanna go get me one!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Be sure to check out the trigger of the gun you are going to buy. Most of them have absolutely hideous triggers. I'm sure they can be worked on by a qualified gunsmith, but I'd find out about that before I bought it. Does anyone else have any experience "crisping" a current Vanguard trigger? Seriously, off the shelf most of them have the worst triggers I have ever encountered. FYI, they take the same bases as a Remington model 700. I'd also agree that it's tough to beat Warne for the money.
    I adjusted mine down to a couple of pounds but it still needs improvement. I found an after market trigger that'll work in the Vanguard made by Basix, it costs approx. $99.00...

My Dad bought me this Vanguard a few years ago chambered in .300 Wthby Mag and it's seen a lot of action! It kills everything that I point it at and is my "go to" gun! The first thing that I did when I got it was have it parkerized and I spray painted the boreing synthetic stock OD green. I like it as it reminds me a lot of my Remington 700's with the safety & ergonomics being very similar....

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    Are you referring to the Warne "weaver style" mounts? Which Warne model exactly? I checked out their web page, but wasn't too impressed. Maybe I am missing something...
    Yes, I was refering to their "Weaver style" cross lock style mount. They aren't sleek and pretty, but they're as strong as just about anything out there and beat the panties off Leupold's standard and even dual dovetail designs in the strength department. If you're looking at a hard kicking gun (.300 mag +) they're worth looking at. They have twice the number of screws in the rings, much more gripping surface, and they cost the same as the Leupolds. They're solid steel unlike the Weaver, plus the look better than the Weavers.

I own a Howa and Vanguard is built by Howa in Japan. I have checked out the Vanguard and it is solidly built with a good reputation for accuracy. I read several reviews in gun rags where the Vanguard action was rated highly. Howa is a manufacturer that has been around for a long time. The old Smith and Wesson model 1500 rifle is basically the Howa 1500 of today.

In truth, the Howa and Vanguard actions differ mainly in esthetics. They are essentially the same product. Excellent rifle, great price, good choice, buy one or you will regret it when the price increases after everyone else catches on.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast