Thread: Waterproof/quiet/breathable/lite- does it exist?

Default Waterproof/quiet/breathable/lite- does it exist?

Ok, so I'm looking for a new waterproof shell for hunting. It needs to be waterproof (obviously), camo, breathable, lightweight and with a quiet/stealth outer fabric.

My ideal jacket would be something similar to my gore-tex one I use for alpine climbing, only camo and quiet...

i.e. 3-layer fabric, hood, pit-zips and packs down small. I realize something with a stealth out is going to add some extra bulk.

Everything that I've seen is either 2-layer fabric (with mesh/hanging liner), Gore-tex Paclite (great, but not quiet), or insulated.

Any suggestions?

Ketchikan, Alaska

Default Sorry

Doesn't exist.

If it has isn't packable

If it is isn't breathable

If it touches isn't silent

Three layer (or more) system that is interchangeable. If it's raining hard, it don't matter what your wearing, just stay warm.

Grandmas wool sweater works fine. I have a hand knitted wool from Nepal I'm kinda fond of. H/H Impertech for rain gear, Patagonia fleece products for insulation, Good quality climbing pants, and various other pieces I throw into the mix. If I'm climbing, I might as well be wearing a tee shirt. As soon as the elevation is gained or I stop the technical gear gets used.

Good luck and enjoy purchasing some gear. There are some fine products to be found. Don't overlook non hunting products they can be outstanding.

mile 1016

I haven't tried it yet, but I thought about a thin fleece over the raingear for quiet. Something that can be wrung out to near dry. Other than that I agree with other post.

Companies that make hunting clothes dont belive or dont know what pit zips are. The only exception is Sitka Gear and the only jackets that they make with pit zips are going to cost you well over $300. Alot of companies also dont belive in adding hoods to thier jackets.

Default doesn't exist

There is no raingear that is breathable and rainproof, no matter what their advertisements say. Spend a rainy day deer hunting in the fall in Prince William Sound with your expensive breathable raingear and you'll see what I mean.

Grundens or Helly Hansens work the best to keep you dry. True, you may end up damp or even wet from sweat if you are working hard in them, and they can be noisy. But you'll still be drier than the guy in the breathable stuff, plus they break the wind better than anything else out there. And when it's raining and blowing, you don't need to worry about being quiet. The weather covers up the noise you make. And Grundens and Hellys are easier to dry for the next day's hunt.

If you are hunting in coastal Alaskan rain, have quality raingear and plenty of changes of clothes or a way to easily dry your wet stuff. Cuz getting wet is a fact of life.

Bighorse is correct, that layering is one of your best options.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Multi-layer waterproof garments are not for me. The extra layers mean extra bulk and weight. The extra layers also mean reduced ventilation and increased perspiration. Multiple layers usually involve a "hanging" liner or membrane...which rustles or swishes as the layers rub against each other during movement. Also, multi-layer garments are a lot harder to get dried out after a marathon of rain and sweat. I haven't found a rain garment that was totally silent...don't think one exists. For me, it comes down to a compromise every time. I'll tolerate some noise for weight and packability. I won't compromise on waterproofness or windshell capability.

I own the Sitka Nimbus set...which is no longer available. It is as close to my ideal rain gear as I've ever worn.

Default gore-tex

Swazi Goretex will keep you dry ... it is very quiet ... but lightweight it is not.

I use it when hunting out of the skiff for the 'bad' days. But go to HH Impetech, Peter Storm or Kooldri for the mountain hunting.

I am less impressed with the latest version of HH Impertech. Not nearly as good as it use to be.

The very best for this is your own skin,covers everything you are looking for and dries fast

Others have, I have not yet owned any... take a look at beaglewear.
    No hood but seems to handle the weather mile after mile on foot.

Eagle River

Default The best raingear...

for any one criterion yes, but raingear that does more than one thing?

The top of the line, ($400 and up) alpine/outdoors rain gear like the 3-layer laminates (i.e., Gore Pro Shell) like Simms wading jackets, or the eVent garments do pretty well with breathable and waterproof, up to a limit. But quiet and packable...camo... becomes too much to ask still.

The best thread on rain gear/materials and data useful for comparison was this one:

I've been watching/poaching end of year rain gear discounts for me and family, but good gear for heavy continuous rain and good hunting gear ... not there yet.

Kodiak, AK

If you want quiet and waterproof, then change your approach. I learned something very imprtant about rainwear and stealth in my military career.......waterproof layer should NOT be your outerlayer. Buy some good (non-quiet) waterproofs and a thin (cotton) outer camo layer to provide the stealth.
    This approach is also good with breathable (Gore-tex etc) layers as the outer cotton serves to wick away some of the heavier rain reducing the amount of moisture that must be dealt with by the goretex.
    This appraoch works well and means you can use a basic (non-technical) waterproof layer in a good fabric as all your pockets etc are in your outer layer. My outer camo is still my military cotton/gaberdine windproof smock and everything (including waterproofs) gets layered under this.
    I have used this approach from Northern Norway (arctic) to Central Europe, the Falklands (wind/rain - Kodiak style) and the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan and have rarely, if ever, been uncomfortable.
    Also, don't ignore the older fabrics. Waxed cotton jackets (barbour etc) are awesome waterproof and petty stealthy, just not available in the 'fashionable' mossy-oak, realtree etc.
    If you want great lightweight goretex waterproofs. Go to and get 'British Army Goretex'. Even with shipping you will get yourself a great set of lightweight camo goretex for less than $100.
    If you want to pay $$$ then this, is one of the best jackets out there.