Thread: Is braided line from last year still ok to use?

Default Is braided line from last year still ok to use?

I really don't know the shelf-life of braided lines, but I have a ton left on my reels and don't really see the need to replace it unless sitting over the winter somehow degrades it badly.

Anyone?

Default If you read the

material that comes with the line (I use PowerPro) it will say that over time the color of the line will become faded, but that is has no bearing on the line itself. Color dies won't adhere to spectra so it fades. I have the same line for a couple years now and have caught 50 pound kings with no problem.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I don't store mine in direct sunlight, a habit left over from mono. I kinda doubt sunlight degrades it like it does mono, but old habits die hard.

In any case, the biggest threat to braid seems to be wear and fraying. I inspect the line, and as a matter of course cut off the first ten feet or so several times a season. I've never had it break on a fish. The oldest I have is pushing 10 years now (50 pound, on a halibut rod) and I still don't have any inclination to change it out. I have my own boat and live right on the water. Yeah, I fish lots, and the line seems to hold up even better than braided dacron.

One of the reasons for using braided lines is longivity.....I've used some for ten years....Buy those made of Spectra......Power Pro seems to wear and fray more than some others....

I have a dozen reels of various sizes with Spectra lines 10# to 150#......the better Spectra I have found is Jerry Brown Line #1 hollow braid for 60# and above and same in solid braid for lighter lines....I don't think you will find it in Alaska.....I get much stronger knots and less wear and fraying......

Wink

When it comes to fishing, I want all the odds to be in my favor. I change all the line two times each season, Spring and Mid-Season. I do it with Braided and Mono. Overkill? Perhaps.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    When it comes to fishing, I want all the odds to be in my favor. I change all the line two times each season, Spring and Mid-Season. I do it with Braided and Mono. Overkill? Perhaps.
    Man I wish I had your money, or your braided line account!

I have a number of personal reels that I've had the same line on for a number of years. Like has been mentioned already I just trim it back every now and then. Especially if I've been using it where it might get abraded. It's very easy to just look at it closely and you can usually see any problem areas. And I test mine every year to make sure it is still at the proper breaking point. But I don't think anything actually degrades the stuff.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

You can also reverse the line on the reel and get even more longevity
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

If they still have dry dirt on them, get rid of them.
    When i fished the flats last summer, the mud dried and when i had a fish on, the line snapped.

Thanks, everyone.

For the most part, the line is in great shape from appearance. I'd trim the first 10 yards or so off anyway, though. I have so much line on a couple of reels that I could probably trim 100 yards and still have plenty to spare....lol. One of the benefits of the line is the diameter.