Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLP on friday night

Default DLP on friday night

Ok so my buddy and his family came in on friday from valdez to hunt. We were going to try and get his 11 year old daughter a nice black I had coming in each night. So we get to about 200 yards from the stand and we park there 2 wheelers. There going to walk in behind me Im driving my atv in with the bait to freshen up the station and they were going to get in the stand and I was going to drive back out and walk back in and join them. That was the plan. So we parked there atv's and i slowly drove infront of them about 30 yards up front on the trail in. when i got about 60 yards from the bait I saw a grizzly take off up the hill from us. I stopped the bike and yelled back for my freinds to hold up there was a grizz running off. The next 5 or 6 secounds the grizz turned charged to about 30 35 yards from me pissed off to no end. I yelled at the bear to get out of here and i drew my pistol all at the same time standing up on the wheeler. She started to charge agine I yelled again then shot 2 shots from my 480 ruger over its head. This must of really set it off cause it dropped its head and came full boar at me. At this time i was S*&#ing my pants and trying to get off the wheeler away from the bear. Thank god my buddy standing back on the trail with his wife and daughter had enough wits about him to move over 10 or 12 yards to see the bear around the trees between us. He hit the grizz with a 300 win mag with maybe 15 feet between me and the bear. The shot made the bear roll but it got back up and came at me again i then emptied my last 4 shots and my freind shot twice more. his last shot made the grizz finally turn and run off into the bush. The tracks of the grizz were about 8 to 10 feet from me. After we got his wife and daughter in the tree stand the safest place we had right then and we all calmed down we started looking for blood. We only found a small amount in front of my atv. We went in where we saw the bear last and found a spot here and one there but not very much. It got real thick fast and after about 2 hours of looking we marked our last blood and got the family and came out and called the troopers to report what happend.
    I told them what went down and where it happened The local wildlife trooper here knew me and right where i had my stand. After hearing the story he told us to just go back in the morning and look as best we could and try to find the bear. But if we couldnt that it would be ok. He said on tuesday we need to go in and fill out a questionaire at fish and game and that would be it. Has any one else ever had a situation like this before and if so what was your experience. I cant see there being any question that we didnt have a choice but to shot after my warning shoots and yelling did nothing to stop the bear. And i truly belive that if I had been alone that evening like i usually am that i would of gotten hurt if not killed "Thanks Joe". By the way after a long night of no sleep after the charge i decided when we went back in on saturday morning at 6 am that i was pulling everything out and shuting down the bait station which we did. Didnt feel safe going in there alone agian ever I had pics of 7 diffrent grizz in there in the past few weeks. And we never did find the bear had 3 of us looking for a total of about 7 hours with no luck we did find several dens up on the hill side we figured maybe it went in one and died there was no way to get in there if so.

Man, that would definitely be a hair raising event! I'm glad all of you all made it out ok. You did the right thing, I always imagine a scenario like this and hope it never happens to me. This is why I always try to have a partner when checking my bait site and always have my gun(s) in hand and ready to go. I am surprised just the sound and sight of your quad didnt scare the grizz off! Hope everything works out for you with ADFG, which it should. Did there happen to be any cubs around?

Default WOW!!!!

I am glad you all made it through the situation OK. You both absolutely made the right choice to shoot when you felt threatened. It seems like you gave the bear every opportunity you could before defending your life.

Thanks for the write up.

Default DLP

Yea we belive it was a sow with 2nd year cubs from the pics on the trail cam before we came in. It was the last thing either of us wanted to do was shoot a grizz with cubs even when we had too but thats the way things play out i guess. To be truthful i dont belive i even hit her I was back pedling so fast that i was really just pulling the trigger not much aiming going on. I can rember pulling the trigger twice more after the gun was already empty if that tells you anything!

Glad you and others are unhurt. This is why I so strongly feel that ALL stations should be well marked with warning signs a long ways from the bait, along every approach. Some stations have one small sign, many are totally unmarked. You were on FULL alert, knowing the stations location, try to imagine the poor family just out for a quiet walk in the woods.

I am not Dumping on you, I feel all baiter's need to encourage all the other baiter's to clearly warn others, or have lots of liability insurance.

And thank you for your, candor on the unlikely probability of having hit the bear with the handgun.

Default Sounds like you did...

the right thing. I wouldn't have hesitated! Glad all turned out okay for you and your friends. Hope the daughter gets a bear!

Whether or not you were justified in the DLP wil now be determined by what you write on the report.
    Good luck.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

You did right. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You did right. PERIOD.
    Bingo. Let the hecklers heckler. That's all they have to do. Won't hear any complaints from me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

How were the nerves the next day when you had to go back and to go back and try to find her?? Not a task I would want that's for sure! I was crapping myself last year when I had a cow chasing me on my wheeler. Yikes!! At least everyones ok!!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You did right. PERIOD.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Please give us a follow up of what happens later at F&G...

also a gentle reminder.. that once you post stuff on here it can become part of the record as public knowledge.. please make sure all the legal issues are covered before you post on a public forum. many have been summoned to the troopers office and seen photos and their story's of the hunt they posted on the screen at the LEO office. whether your in the right or accidentally wrong.... CYA first after it is all Okay then you can tell the world about it...

Vince
    Last edited by Snyd; 06-04-2010 at 08:09.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well the truth is the truth and I cant change it now or later. I am not worried as we did everything we could short of letting the bear maul me and if any one thinks they could of done something diffrent at the time it went down is strongly mistaken! I mainly was wanting people to be carefull baiting alone because like I had said if I had been alone this time I may not be here at all. I dont have anything to hide from the state on this matter we called them ASAP and did everything we could during and after. And the tropper agreed that we did the right thing. Just want others to not get caught in a bad place alone. Is all But I do see where your coming from Vince Im not taking your post the wrong way.
    Last edited by Snyd; 06-04-2010 at 08:09.

Default The 5th amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Please give us a follow up of what happens later at F&G...

also a genital reminder.. that once you post stuff on here it can become part of the record as public knowledge.. please make sure all the legal issues are covered before you post on a public forum. many have been summoned to the troopers office and seen photos and their story's of the hunt they posted on the screen at the LEO office. whether your in the right or accidentally wrong.... CYA first after it is all Okay then you can tell the world about it...

Vince
    "genital" reminder? Ball busting Troopers?

I will second what Vince stated. The 5th Amendment - you have the right not say anything - is just as important as the 1st Amendment.

I would have pulled my station too. I figure all the s**t that ran down my leg after that would of scared all the bears away for good!!!
    Good to hear you adverted a disaster.
    I know people who bow hunt and never carry a firearm with them. what do you think would of happened to them in your situation???
    I carry a bow, shot gun in the tree and a rifle on the wheeler. If all else fails I have a hand gun on me to put myself out of misery!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RKeyser View Post
    Yea we belive it was a sow with 2nd year cubs from the pics on the trail cam before we came in. It was the last thing either of us wanted to do was shoot a grizz with cubs even when we had too but thats the way things play out i guess. To be truthful i dont belive i even hit her I was back pedling so fast that i was really just pulling the trigger not much aiming going on. I can rember pulling the trigger twice more after the gun was already empty if that tells you anything!
    Sorry, and I know this is slightly off topic but I just wanted to point this out for all the bear attack, you won't have time to get off even two shots much less 6 so it better be a cannon yada yada folks. Had you been carrying a 10mm auto like a glock or my EAA, or perhaps a 460 Rowland etc then those last 2 pulls of the trigger would have gone BANG, BANG....

Glad you are safe!

Default Update on DLP

Well we went in yesturday told our story of what happened with the grizz charge and shooting. The Biologist said we did the right thing and that we did not need to fill out a DLP due to the fact no one was able to locate the bear after the shooting. So everything is all good with fish and game as far as there concerned. So my buddy and his family is headed back to valdez today with a good story and a nice black his daughter got so all is good.

Happy endings all around, well 'cept for the bear.

Glad to hear all is well with everyone involved and the situation turned out ok. Congrats to your buddys girl on the black bear.

WHOA!

Good on ya all around.

Taylor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast