Thread: AM or PM?

Default AM or PM?

What time of day do the bears usually get to your bait? I think generally its late in the evening. Ive had hits but dont own a trail cam so its hard to tell when they're coming in?

It seems at my site that they tend to come in late evening to morning. The bigger bears seems to be hitting starting around midnight to 7 am. But they do come during the afternoon or any part of the day also, just not as much it seems. I try to sit from evening until 1 or 2 am if I can depending on the available shooting light and my ambition....

mine is really weird, i been having a bear coming to my station around 1pm in the afternoon and thats it and he doesnt stay long, ether, im going to sit on my station tommow from 11am till 2ishpm, i been going up there only in the evening time, from 9pm till 11:30pm nothing is showing up, so since i got tommow off we are sitting on it late morning

Default I have sat countless...

mornings at my stands over the course of many years and have NEVER seen a bear come in between 6 am and 10 am. Sure is nice being out there at that time as everything is waking up but was not productive for bear killing!

If you have a routine of restocking the bait at a certain time (like mid-afternoon) it is probably about a half an hour or so after you leave. They will listen to you leave and then come in to eat. If somebody comes with you then leaves while you are on the stand the bear will hear them go and come in for dinner.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default Gonna give morning a shot

Been getting hit so I decided to sit on my bait station on saturday from 7pm till 1:30am and did not see a thing. Gonna go back and try a morning during the middle of this week. Have been getting hits anywhere from 6pm to 6am based on the game cam. So we will see. This is my first season baiting so I'm still "feeling things out".

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default hits

Shot 2 bears last year at about 11 to 11:30 AM i hunt both morning and nights, never hunted in the mornings tell i got a trail cam... I get more hits from 7am to 12 than i get hit in the evening
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    Shot 2 bears last year at about 11 to 11:30 AM i hunt both morning and nights, never hunted in the mornings tell i got a trail cam... I get more hits from 7am to 12 than i get hit in the evening
    Ditto, killed one black bear and my buddy killed a cinnamon both in the morning this year. From the pics on the cameras most of my big bears come in between 6 am -10 am.

My stand is also a morning - early afternoon stand.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

They normally come in the mornings, evenings and all times in between.

In short, they come in when they want. You could lose you mind trying to pattern bears. Some places may be predictable, but I've hunted stands that had no pattern whatsoever.

I've always heard evenings from 8:00 PM to around 12:00 AM is the best time, but again I've killed bears in the middle of the day, very early morning and late in the evening.

I find it best to just refill the bait in the barrel(they know the sounds...), climb in your tree, and if you have a partner, have him walk out. I bet you'll have them come right in, no matter the time of the day, but I prefer evening to hunt...

24 hours a day....litteraly.

However, the average time our hunters kill big bears is usually betwen 8 to midnight.