Thread: Paddling a Pro Pioneer with Kayak paddles?

Default Paddling a Pro Pioneer with Kayak paddles?

I am very new to the inflatable world on the water. I just bought a Pro Pioneer from a buddy and it came with all the goodies. I tried it out last night on a local lake and it worked great. The oars and saddles will take some getting use to. I tried the canoe paddle out as well and feel confident that I could move the boat around with it if needed.

My question is has anyone tried or does anyone currently use this boat with a long kayak paddle? Something like a long bladed touring setup or similar to a Inuit paddle. The way it felt last night I really feel like a kayak paddle would work great. I am not planning any floats with this anytime soon. Mainly for lakes and out on the ocean here close to shore. I know sitting up high probably isnt the ideal angle.

Zach

Zach,

Controlling the PP with paddles or even a double-ended kayak paddle on still water, lightly-loaded, is one thing. Controlling that boat with a full load of moose meat, gear and people on moving water is a different matter entirely.

This boat was specifically designed as a big load hauler. You'll need the rowing setup if you're float hunting on rivers.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Light load is exactly what I was looking out doing with the kayak paddles. I plan on using the oar setup for any floats I do. But that wont be this year. I will mainly be using this for recreation with my wife and kid on various waters.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Light load is exactly what I was looking out doing with the kayak paddles. I plan on using the oar setup for any floats I do. But that wont be this year. I will mainly be using this for recreation with my wife and kid on various waters.

Zach
    Makes sense... sure, if you're going light you could get by with just about anything. What threw me off was the choice of boat. Usually when folks purchase that rig they're looking at packing heavy loads, hence the rowing setup.

If you're going with paddles, choose one that extends from the floor to about the top of your head (in terms of length). That should give you enough reach to get over those side tubes. If you go with a double-ender kayak paddle, be sure to get drip rings or water will run down the shaft and up your shirtsleeves...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Talking

Zach

Welcome aboard glad you made it here.
    You will find a lot of good tested information here on this site .

Congrats on the Pro Pioneer you must have a good friend !!!

Let us know how the Kayak paddle works out .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif