Thread: Reduced Loads in 22-250 Rem

Default Reduced Loads in 22-250 Rem

I have begun to load reduced loads for my 22-250 Remington and am wondering if there is anyone out there with experience that I could learn from. My objective is to end up with a good cartridge to use in the field for preditor hunting.

I am following the load data table of the Hornady manual for the 55 gr fmjbt bullets. By memory it calls out IMR-4729 power in the 14 - 17 gr load range. This is basically half the weight of a standard 30'sh gr load of IMR 4895.

What I am curious about is the advice on using a filler material to get the case volume filled. I understand the concept of using filler materials is to keep the powder uniformly in around the primer so ignition is consistent. Any comments on pro & cons of filler materials would be appreciated.

For example: Would I be taking great risk of I did not use fillers? Would using fillers and bouncing the cartridges for hundreds of miles on my snowmobile mix the filler & powder? What filler would be recomended? ECT...

Beaver Creek

I used 53 GR match grade hollow points for coyotes in New Mexico loaded at 10% under max (3800 FPS if I remember right). They go in and don't come out. I tried numerous bullets and loads and they were the best.

Default filler

I wouldn't use filler in the 22-250. Filler does add pressure. I'm sure some load high performance bottle neck cases such as the 22-250 that way but I wouldn't. Greatly reduced loads in that caliber kinda defeat the purpose of it anyway. The Lyman Cast Bullet manual lists some cast loads that are truly reduced for the 22-250 with loads for the cast 45 and 54 grain bullets at about 1800-2800 fps if that is what you are looking for. The accuracy for those may not be what you need either. Or, maybe try one of the suggested beginning loads listed in most of the manuals for the 50, 52 or 53 grain bullets like 'dirtofak' suggested.

Arco, Idaho

Default Ummm....

If you're looking for .22 Mag or Hornet performance, why not just use one of those?
    What I've seen of .22 and .243 FMJ performance is spotty. Critters end up running a long way before they might bleed out, maybe not, I've also seen the FMJ's push bone through the hide and make a helluva mess out of the cape.
    As to a filler on reduced loads, I'd prefer to use a tuft of toilet tissue, used to use kapok, but don't have any idea where you'd get that. Also heard of them using greased cardboard wads on top of the powder in the Swift WAAAAY back. Personally, I think it's just more junk to clutter the bore with, and don't need the risk of having a bullet run over it with the next shot....
    Do what you want, but I have gone almost exclusively to the 40 gr. Nosler in my .22-250 Ackley Improved at a shade better than 4200 fps. On chucks and prairie dogs, it's a red-mist kind of thing. On song dogs, it makes a tiny hole going in and one helluva mess in the boiler room. Nothing has taken more than a step after getting one of those.

Cool Loads

It sounds like you would like to reduce loads in the 22-250 down to about the power of a 22 K-Hornet. The powder you are using might not be the optimum for this job. Check the ACCURATE loading guide. It lists several 22-250 loads in the 2500-2600 fps without having to have a filler. These loads are for 40-55 grn. bullets and might achieve the desired results. This is kind of like racing a cigar boat in a kayak race though.

Kachemak Bay Alaska

A load of 33 grains of 4350 will push a 60 grain bullet at 2950fps or maybe 3,000fps at the most.

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member

Talking lucky

Look at it this way you lucky just came up with an excuse to buy another rifle in maybe a 222 or 223. Then if that still isn't reduced enough, then you can buy maybe a 22 hornet or 22 mag, and then maybe a 17. See how this works?

I guess I've heard too many horror stories of reduced loads and secondary ingition/explosion. I would never do it. I guess if you are following load data it should be safe, but I guess I would ask myself why I want to. For predator hunting, just use a regular load. I think you'll lose a lot of accuracy with the reduced load. The only reason I would consider a reduced load is just to save money for 'plinking' at paper or pop cans, and then I would use the Lyman manual and work up a load with light fast powders and cast bullets. Or use my .22LR To minimize damage to the pelt, then either go with a different caliber (I'd like to find a 222 Rem, just to have something different!), or use lighter and less expansive bullets (but I would not use FMJ's). I would not go below published minimums. Google will get you lots of pictures of what happens when you do. Just my thoughts...FWIW