Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear shooting in Denali

Default Bear shooting in Denali

Did anyone hear any more about this? http://newsminer.com/view/full_story...dow_left_top_1

I was very happy to finally get to go armed in the park, so I really hope this ends up looking justified....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Can't you imagine the Onion headline?

Congress, anticipating the first bear-related fatality in the park's 93 year history, approves firearms law change in nick of time

Looks like the shooter had her wits about her, key in potentially saving her friends life. Pretty high pucker factor and glad they both came out ok. I see ther was no mention of cubs.

Looks like .45 ACP is far better than a rock or a stick when attacked by a grizzly.

Default Not really Norm

The hiker fired nine rounds in the bear's direction. We don't know how many hit the bear, but after nine rounds fired, it still made it back to the brush. A more appropriate cartridge would have been better. I see this as one problem with the new law. How many people will carry an appropriate firearm for the purpose it will be used for, bear protection. Not everyone who has guns is actually skookum enough to have the right one with them, or know when it is really necessary to use it.
    Myself, I'd rather go somewhere less known, to enjoy the country and be ready for what Alaska is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    Can't you imagine the Onion headline?

Congress, anticipating the first bear-related fatality in the park's 93 year history, approves firearms law change in nick of time
    I haven't been able to find any reports of a fatality within the park but clearly this is not a new precedent when it comes to bears attacking people in the park. It certainly has happened and it is certainly plausible that it very nearly happened again save for the application of 9 rounds of 45 acp as a deterrent.

Be interesting to see what the report findings are once the investigation is complete.

I think the shooter is toast, at least when it's time for courts If you read through the park spokesman comments, here's the summary: Yeah, it may be legal to carry a gun now, but it's still illegal to discharge it. There's a fine distinction between the two, but lots of lawyers have made dandy livings on fine distinctions.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    The hiker fired nine rounds in the bear's direction. We don't know how many hit the bear, but after nine rounds fired, it still made it back to the brush. A more appropriate cartridge would have been better. I see this as one problem with the new law. How many people will carry an appropriate firearm for the purpose it will be used for, bear protection. Not everyone who has guns is actually skookum enough to have the right one with them, or know when it is really necessary to use it.
    Myself, I'd rather go somewhere less known, to enjoy the country and be ready for what Alaska is capable of.
    9 rounds, no FTF, dead bear, unchewed hikers.... Where is the problem?

Case of judged by twelve or carried by six

id rather have my day in court ,,then a month in the hospital or dead from the attack.

Default .45acp deepest penetrating load from Double Tap

He launched a new .45acp load. 255gr Hardcast! Didn't look at the numbers, but will be better than nothing and better than JHP people rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    9 rounds, no FTF, dead bear, unchewed hikers.... Where is the problem?
    Yup, nuff said

Default ?????

Doesn't it seem weird that in 93 years they have never had a bear attack in the park? And two weeks into the new firearms law a bear is killed? It seems that there should be more to this story....

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Doesn't it seem weird that in 93 years they have never had a bear attack in the park? And two weeks into the new firearms law a bear is killed? It seems that there should be more to this story....
    Didn't they have an attack last year on some biologists that were collecting samples?

If I recall it was a black bear that was gassed twice and came back a third time and was shot by a biologist.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Was it a 45 ACP, in an AUTO?

How could this happen? Why, there are so MANY people who absolutely KNOW, that NOTHING SHORT OF a 454, 480, 460, or 500 REVOLVER gives you even the slightest chance of surviving a bar attack. What did they do? Spray him first, and then stick the gun in his ear?

Those park people will do everything in their power to paint this as an unnecessary bear shooting. Their whole bag, is that bears should not be killed for any reason, and that if people are killed by THEM, or attacked, it only makes life more exciting. Nature, in it's natural state is sooo, AWESOME.

It should be interesting to see what they will make of this event. They apologize for the bears, like Obama apologizes for America.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    I don't know where this myth came from or why it keeps getting perpetuated.

There have been 23 bear attacks in the park.

6. Will bears attack sleeping people?
    Incidents between people and bears in Denali are few. In the 23 cases of bear-induced human injury, only two cases involved sleeping campers. Both parties were camped without a tent, and one was camped near a dead moose as well. Bears are curious animals and will probe novel items in their environment with mouth and paws. While such investigation could potentially injure a human, it is not considered an attack and the bear will usually run at the first sign of human activity. Using a tent while camping gives a curious bear something other than an exposed, sleeping human to investigate.
    Here is a news article covering an attack in 2005

I don't know where this myth came from or why it keeps getting perpetuated.

T

Touche. I guess I have always heard that the park has an "outstanding" safety record with bears. I guess I just fall more on the side of more prevention than shoot first. But I guess you can never really tell till your in that situation. Its easy to sit here and type about bear conservation until its you and your wife/girlfriend/kids.

Default I hope they hang the shooter!

I've hiked in Denali for years, including Tatler Creek, and never had a problem. The Fairbanks paper account said they saw signs of bear before the alleged "charge". In my experience, taking another route around and making a lot of racket always works to keep them away. Funny that it only took a couple of months from changing the law till somebody panics and shoots a bear. I'm not some anti gun wacko, either. I own a bunch of guns, both long and short. I've killed two bears on hunts, a blackie in PWS, and a brown on Kodiak.

In my opinion, if you don't have balls enough to hike in Denali without a gun, then you shouldn't hike in Denali. 'Nuf said!

Treadwell felt the same way about Katmai. Too bad the bears didn't love him back, or perhaps they did in the same way that I love sushi...

Treadwell felt the same way about Katmai. Too bad the bears didn't love him back, or perhaps they did in the same way that I love sushi...
    Read my post clown, I said "hike", not camp in a bear trail, like Treadwell. People who get mauled are almost always being stupid.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast