Thread: Chest Freezer Size for 4 Caribou?

Default Chest Freezer Size for 4 Caribou?

We're planning a first time flyin caribou hunt from off the haul road in August. Does anyone know what size cuft chest freezer would be required to fit the quarters of up to 4 caribou plus ice to keep them cold for the ride back down. Thanks in advance, Mike

Cut them down properly for storage and 4 Bulls will fit nicely in one of the smaller freezers, like 3-1/2 X 2 feet X 3 feet tall kinds..maby 9 sqft?

We cut the tounge and save it with the other organs, toss the head, strip the neck for roasts, take off the quarters, strip the backbone of meat and ribs and then the Pelvis, or if its fat, make the pelvis into a roast itsself, cut off at the knees and elbows, put in plastic,(so it dosent freeze into a mass) then inna box and into the freezer...........whewww....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Think the most common size in the area you are looking for are 13 or 14.2 cubic feet. I know they have 5s and 7s. But the closes size to 10 I have seen are 13 or 14.2. Either will fit in a pickup but if I had my choice I would try to buy two 5 cubic feet freezers. I bought a one year old one on Craigs List for $20 oddly enough last year, look for some deals out early on ones in good shape. My opinion only.

Default what condition

will I can't make a suggestion on the size part but you might want to be more specific as too it being quartered, boned out, etc.

Default A cooler is not needed

I have made that trip a few times. Not once have I used anything other than the Tag Bags my meat was in since harvest in the field. I do not debone meat. I have never had a problem with the meat spoiling or getting dirty/wet on the road. I do put a tarp over the back of the truck when I stop to keep rain, gray jays, or anything else off the meat.

Your caribou meat will not be refrigerated for X amount of days while hunting. Another 14 hours will not hurt your tender cuts of meat.

I assume you are using a pickup. If it is raining, the water will go over the bed of the truck while driving. The breeze from the drive keeps the meat cool.

Do a search of a post I made about how to make a refrigerator out of a gravel bar. Most fly-ins get dropped on a gravel bar. Keep your meat in as clean and cool condition as possible while hunting and the drive back will be without worry of your meat spoiling.

This is not the answer you were looking for, but an alternative.

Good luck on your first fly-in bou hunt.

Thanks everyone for the replies and tips. I will be driving a pickup (with camper shell) and plan to keep the quarters whole and not debone them until ready for processing. I will do a search for your gravelbar post AFHunter. Thanks again all. Mike

I have done that trip several times without a freezer. I took a couple 2x4's with notches for a metal pole so you could hang the meat on the pole inside the topper. Opened the side windows and the cool air kept the meat in great shape. Hope this helps.

Matt