Thread: Big game hunting in Alaska for old man?

Default Big game hunting in Alaska for old man?

Hi all

I am investigating the possibility of coming to Alaska with my father for big game hunting. My father always wished to do an elk or deer hunt in Alaska, but we never had the money to go there. Soon it will be his 65th birthday and I would like to take him to the hunt as a gift. He started to have some knee problems in the last couple of years, he is even having some problems in walking more than 2 hours in his upland bird hunts. There is no way he can stay overnight in the woods. Thus I am not sure if he could do the hunt in Alaska, I need some advice.
    I have checked some guided hunts on the web. It looks like Kodiak Island is a good place, with many guides there. Also there are some boat charters, but could not figure out how it works. They dont shoot from the boat, right? I guess they go to the hunting location with the boat, and walk from there. Do you think these hunts require a lot of experience and physical strength?
    What is the approximate price for 3-4 day hunts, and the success rate?
    Also I will appreciate if you can recommend some guides that I can get in touch with.
    Thanks
    Adam

Default OLD?

Phew, first I had to check out how old you had to be to be considered an "old" man... Luckily I am not there yet. About a hunt, you mentioned a boat hunt. I did one in Prince William Sound for black bear. It was aboard a 50' boat and we slept and ate on the boat. They have a smaller skiff that they pull behind and if you spot a bear they shuttle you to shore and it is spot and stalk from there. We saw only one bear from the boat and it was a sow with a cub so that was a no go. We did get off the boat and hunted, even though it rained non stop for the 5 day hunt. We had fun anyway and did get some fishing in off the back of the boat. No bears but did make some new friends. The cost for the hunt was less than two grand. I think it was too late in the year, June 1-5. ---- I think your dad could easily do this hunt. Good luck.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by adam999 View Post
    Hi all

I am investigating the possibility of coming to Alaska with my father for big game hunting. My father always wished to do an elk or deer hunt in Alaska, but we never had the money to go there. Soon it will be his 65th birthday and I would like to take him to the hunt as a gift. He started to have some knee problems in the last couple of years, he is even having some problems in walking more than 2 hours in his upland bird hunts. There is no way he can stay overnight in the woods. Thus I am not sure if he could do the hunt in Alaska, I need some advice.
    I have checked some guided hunts on the web. It looks like Kodiak Island is a good place, with many guides there. Also there are some boat charters, but could not figure out how it works. They dont shoot from the boat, right? I guess they go to the hunting location with the boat, and walk from there. Do you think these hunts require a lot of experience and physical strength?
    What is the approximate price for 3-4 day hunts, and the success rate?
    Also I will appreciate if you can recommend some guides that I can get in touch with.
    Thanks
    Adam
    "...he is even having some problems in walking more than 2 hours in his upland bird hunts..."!!!
    Read some of the posts on what some half his age consider a "tough" hunt! He will do just fine. A lot of good service providers, guided and transporter type hunts. Hard to beat those coastal boat hunts.
    Have a great hunt.
    Joe (Ak)

I'm not a resident, but I'm sure some will give you some good advice, there are alot of great guys on here.
    Anyways there are many options for your dad, Boat hunts are mainly for deer and bear, and are a nice hunt for older guys (bear) my buddys dad in his mid seventys did a boat based black bear hunt and had a great trip. Most of the hunting was shore line spotting and no you do not shoot from boats. And at the end of the day you have a nice warm boat and fresh seafood dinner to return to. Price was around 4500 or 5000 if I remember right, And success was 100%, Skill is not a factor other than shooting?? You guide is there to help with everything else. Good luck your old man will love Alaska.

The oldest person from the L48 I have ever hunted with in AK was 74 at the time. Old MN farmer who took a little while to get going in the morning, but after an hour of warming up walking he could walk all day at my (at the time) college runner pace.

If he is having knee problems he may not want to do a hunt without someone else packing out the meat and trophy parts.

Deer hunting from a boat is a good fun time on Kodiak and one of the sites sponsors can help you out with that. Also get in some fishing and duck hunting. Deer hunting on Kodiak can result in some hard climbs, but if you are packing out the meat for your dad he could be doing OK. Just don't climb too high from the beach.

Default Prince of Wales

Don't forget to look into the Prince of Wales rut hunt ... the best Sitka Blacktail hunt there is.

I've done several boat based hunts for deer and black bear. My knees are pretty much shot, surgeon already warned me about replacement. One caution for deer, is time of year. If its early and the deer are still up high, its a tough walk uphill to get to them, especially if there are alders. Late season hunts where the deer are lower down may be better. POW rut may be a good idea. BTW, when did 65 become an "old man"?

The marines have a saying, "Can't do never got nothin' done". Physiological age is much more important than chronological age. I personally know several 65+y.o. sheep hunters that still backpack sheep hunt. I even heard of a 85 y.o. gentleman who shot his first Dall sheep several years ago (guided) in the Chugach Mountains - specifically Carpenter Creek. Your father may not have a future as an Alaskan goat hunter but most everything else it seems to me depends on what he feels able to do prob. most likely via a guided hunt. You might want to involve him in the decision making. Good luck.

If you come to Wrangell and get a hotel room I could take ya'll out deer hunting (black bear if you get a tag) for nothing. Just spend some money in town and all will be well. I'm a baby at 62 and go out in the morning a few hours then come home for a nap and back out in the evening. Zero guaranty but 100% chance,heck cars bag twenty or thirty deer a year here.

Default Find a way...

I'm in a wheelchair and can't cover a whole lot of ground when I'm hunting, but I have my share of success. Have taken moose, caribou, black bear, and brown bear in Alaska as well as antelope, elk, mule deer and turkey all since I got hurt. Don't let the limits on mobility be the limiting factor! There are always ways to get the hunting and fishing done. You just have to be a little creative sometimes. Boats, 4 wheelers, canoes, easy trails, planes, etc.

Float hunts are good as long as there aren't any bad portages, and boat hunts in the sound work well. Just got back from a brown bear hunt where we hunted from a buddies boat, glassed the shorelines and took a zodiac to shore to ambush or put on a stalk. Took a nice brown bear. Can do the same thing on black bears in the Sound as well. Deer can be done the same way, especially if someone is willing to do a little hiking and maybe push a few deer his way on the beach.

Hope you find a way to make it work. The more trips you can take with your dad the better, especially before he gets "too" old to do any of them anymore.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Default check this out

Check out Hunt Raspberry Island .com Even if you did not get to the elk there is the chance you can shot deer.
    Dan

Not sure if I would go to Alaska for an elk or deer hunt. The sheer numbers of elk in Alaska pale in comparison to the western lower 48 states (CO, NM, WY, SD and MT to name a few), which will also provide easier & cheaper access to remote areas. As far as deer...unless your father wants a Sitka Black Tail (which are fairly small compared to white tail or mulies) I would hit Canada for a long distance adventure or IL, KS, MO, CO, SD, or WY for lower the lower 48.

If I were to take a hunting trip to Alaska, I would go for something you can't get in the lower 48...Bears, Caribou, Moose, or Muskox.

Just my opinion. What ever you decide...have a great hunt with your father and enjoy every moment you can.
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"