Thread: .22-LR Walther P22: won't load the chamber for a second shot

Default .22-LR Walther P22: won't load the chamber for a second shot

I have a very nice Walther P22 pistol that fails to load the chamber with a new round after the first one is fired. The problem is as follows:

a. I load the chamber with a new round, pull the trigger, and the round fires. However, the slide doesn't move far enough to the rear to extract the fired round and load a new one. I have to pull the slide back to extract the fired case and load the chamber with a new round.

b. But once this second round is fired, the pistol loads the chamber without any trouble. The problem only happens when the first round is fired.

I have tried different kinds of ammo, and lubricated the slide to reduce friction, but the problem continues. I am beginning to think that perhaps the spring is a little too stiff, or that the portion of the slide that rides on the frame may nee a little polishing or something.

Does any of you have had similar problems with this or other pistols?

I was led to believe that when the model first came out there was a problem with the mags, producing exactly the symptoms you report. In fact, I got mine the first year and it did exactly what you describe with both mags. I "solved" it by putting one less round in each mag. I endured and cussed, and finally complained to the shop I bought it from. He said "Oh yeah." Then he handed me two new mags and said there had been a recall on the originals. The new mags work flawlessly.

I don't know how much truth is in the "recall" way back when or just a friendly shop, but I got two new mags out of the deal right from the shop. If yours isn't from the early release and is in fact new, I wonder if the problem hasn't resurfaced.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I was led to believe that when the model first came out there was a problem with the mags, producing exactly the symptoms you report. In fact, I got mine the first year and it did exactly what you describe with both mags. I "solved" it by putting one less round in each mag. I endured and cussed, and finally complained to the shop I bought it from. He said "Oh yeah." Then he handed me two new mags and said there had been a recall on the originals. The new mags work flawlessly.

I don't know how much truth is in the "recall" way back when or just a friendly shop, but I got two new mags out of the deal right from the shop. If yours isn't from the early release and is in fact new, I wonder if the problem hasn't resurfaced.
    I appreciate your response. I will check with Walther to see what they have to say on this, and will search for a recall on the Walther magazines. This could very well be the answer to my problem, and will probably buy a new magazine to test the pistol.

By the way, I didn't pay very much for it when I bought it (new), and my wife loves the little pistol because it's very lightweight and easy to carry in her pocket when she walks the dog around the block. I also like it because it's threaded for a silencer, so it could make a nice and quiet grouse-hunting pistol during moose season (if I can pry it out of my wife's hand, that is)

Short term, try loading one less round in the mag. That "solved" the problem for me with the old mags.

I hear what you're saying about the model. Mine is more accurate than I can be with such a light package. Get a good rest for your wrists and really steady it up, and it will stack the bullets right on top of each other. I've cut quite a bit of rabbit hair with mine (hare hair?), and any miss has been my own fault.

This video may be helpful (the 3:15 mark is where he talks about FTF issues)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oIZOyfDLc

Also, try to avoid using the slide release lever to chamber a round. Instead, just pull back on the slide and let it shut. I have a SIG Mosquito with similar problems, and that seems to help a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Short term, try loading one less round in the mag. That "solved" the problem for me with the old mags.

I hear what you're saying about the model. Mine is more accurate than I can be with such a light package. Get a good rest for your wrists and really steady it up, and it will stack the bullets right on top of each other. I've cut quite a bit of rabbit hair with mine (hare hair?), and any miss has been my own fault.
    Thanks, I will try that for the time being.

The fixed barrel probably makes it a lot more accurate, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    This video may be helpful (the 3:15 mark is where he talks about FTF issues)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oIZOyfDLc

Also, try to avoid using the slide release lever to chamber a round. Instead, just pull back on the slide and let it shut. I have a SIG Mosquito with similar problems, and that seems to help a little bit.
    That's a pretty good video. Luckily with mine, the only thing it does is failing to load the chamber with the second round. The plastic lock is not loose like the one in the video, so I have never had it coming apart.

Default Update on the video

I watched the video carefully, and then decided to look at the P22 in detail to see how accurate the person in the video was. He was mostly correct about the problems, except that the plastic lock on mine is not loose like the one on his P22. I also assembled the pistol by compressing the spring on the rod as he showed in the video, and found the task quite easier to accomplish (I learned something new).

Also, I can see how the hammer rubs against the lower portion of the slide, but this happens mainly on a very small area of the hammer. I imagine that a good gunsmith could grind-down and then polish the small metallic ridge or angle on the hammer, since this is the area that rubs agains the bottom of the slide. He or she can probably do the same with the lower corner of the bolt, as this corner hits the same area of the hammer when the slide is moved to the rear.

I don't see a problem above the loading ramp, at least not on my pistol. Yes, the lip of the chamber (where the case's rim stops) may catch the bullet's tip, but this is a "maybe."
    -------
    Now, I will wait a little to see what Walther has to say about this problem, and then have the right person taking care of the gun for me.

What ammo have you tried?
    They do need hotter ammo to cycle till broken in.
    Also what lube are you using?

Been lucky with the wifes p22 so far as it runs with any ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    What ammo have you tried?
    They do need hotter ammo to cycle till broken in.
    Also what lube are you using?

Been lucky with the wifes p22 so far as it runs with any ammo.
    I have tried Federal, CCI, and match ammo (lead, coated). But a coworker of mine gave me a couple of boxes of some Aguila ammo I haven't tried. You are probably right in that I have to shoot it more often for the friction points along the slide to wear-out a little. Now that summer is here I can shoot it a lot more.

I use all kinds or gun oils on my guns (Hope's 9, Rem. oil, Tri-Lube gun oil, etc.)

Have you checked out rimfirecentral on the walther section?
    M1911 is on all the time over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    Have you checked out rimfirecentral on the walther section?
    M1911 is on all the time over there.
    No. I haven't. But I did see a lot of aftermarket compensators and silencers for it on the Internet. It's legal to have a silencer for it in Alaska, as long as the required form is filed and a tax for it paid. I was told that it costs around $100.00, but the application is a one-time deal (for the life of the silencer). Some companies sell the P22 with a silencer as a package, but it costs from $500.00 to $600.00.

I'd like to get my Ruger MKII fitted with a suppressor just so I could do some plinking around my house without pissing off my neighbors. I just don't know if it's worth having the ATF keeping tabs on me all the time.

I'd like to get my Ruger MKII fitted with a suppressor just so I could do some plinking around my house without pissing off my neighbors. I just don't know if it's worth having the ATF keeping tabs on me all the time.
    Too dangerous. The little .22-caliber bullets can go a long way after being deflected by a rock or something. However, I would not mind a silencer to kill a grouse or two without much noise during moose season, and away from people.

In relation to the $100.00 tax. I don't think that the ATF would keep a tab on you over a silencer, unless somebody gets shot somewhere where there are people nearby and nobody hears the shots. And even in such cases, you would not be the only person in town who has a silencer. More than likely what the investigators concentrate on is bullet patterns, since a silencer only suppresses noise and leaves no trace of itself on the bullet.

I own a nine acre lot, so I'm too concerned about ricochet. And I know the feds wouldn't literally be "keeping tabs" on me, but I'd still have to surrender a little bit more personal information to them than I'd care to.

I own a nine acre lot, so I'm too concerned about ricochet. And I know the feds wouldn't literally be "keeping tabs" on me, but I'd still have to surrender a little bit more personal information to them than I'd care to.
    Well, that's true.

Default I love to shoot more than most people

I have pellet, BB, and air soft,guns that closely resemble the real thing, these do not make much noise and are much cheaper to shoot.
    I have my own range in the back car port with a drill motor that runs the string with the target back and forth.
    I know what each gun is capable of , but more importantly I work on steddyness and quick accurate shots.
    For the money one is going to spend on shooting ,just to poke holes in paper,or aluminum cans, I save my ears the noise , the travel time to a range, the cost of ammo, and the freedom of doing it when ever i please.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    I have pellet, BB, and air soft,guns that closely resemble the real thing, these do not make much noise and are much cheaper to shoot.
    I have my own range in the back car port with a drill motor that runs the string with the target back and forth.
    I know what each gun is capable of , but more importantly I work on steddyness and quick accurate shots.
    For the money one is going to spend on shooting ,just to poke holes in paper,or aluminum cans, I save my ears the noise , the travel time to a range, the cost of ammo, and the freedom of doing it when ever i please.
    I do have a couple of air guns (pistols). One of them is made by Walther, named "Blackhawk." It comes from the factory with a compensator, two .177 8-shot rotary magazines, a high impact flashlight plus a mount (for night shooting), and a red-dot electronic sight. However, it only produces 450 fps at the muzzle, although in can be pushed a little higher with PBA pellets. The problem is that the trails where I hunt grouse during moose season, the birds are a little skittish, and I can almost see the little pellet flying toward the target past 50 or more paces. But this little pistol is extremely accurate at close range.

What I did last year was to buy a kid's rifle, a Rossi 2-barrel (.416/.22) single-shot, on which I mounted a red-dot sight. I shoot .22 Short ammo with it, and the noise is minimal.