Thread: Seaplane (float-flying) rating season is here.

Default Seaplane (float-flying) rating season is here.

The Dragon Lady is back in the lake and float flying season is finally here on Kachemak Bay after a long winter.

Anyone, until the schedule fills up. from the Alaska Outdoors site (this site) who gets their Seaplane Rating with me during June gets the military discount regardless and the fall rates on the guest pilot cabin. I should be able to keep it at $1,900 for the flying, check-ride fee and 3 nights in the cabin. $50 of every rating from here will go to the AK outdoors website folks.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Wow, times are tough....
    Only one response for a rating at the end of fall.
    No customers for the last two weeks..

This is a very generous offer.
    Unfortunately I can do it this year,
    but I'll try next year.

your website prices for '09 were $1500+$300+lodging, have they gone up or down since last year? Wish i had money...

My DPE now charges $350 for a float check-rides from my clients. I think his usual new fee is $400. But I have never had anyone fail a check-ride of any sort for the last 8 years.
    I was going to cover the training (8 hours minimum) 3 nights in the guest cabin and the check-ride cost in deal I advertised here.

The deal for this month, for Alaska Outdoors website members, was/is less than last year. I was basically working for operating cost for the plane and guest cabin and insurance .

I am pretty sure that myself and Heidi Ruess are the only folks who carry insurance to do float ratings up here...

So far nobody has taken me up on the offer.. Strange but true...

On the other hand I ran a similar deal a couple years ago on the Super Cub site and ended up with 7 pilots wanting ratings...

All I have done this month is a few BFRs, one intro float lesson and a friend from Tennessee did some rough weather, rough country bush training for 10 hrs or so..

The economy must really stink, so maybe everyone is spending their money on bullets and beans.

Sorry to hear business is down. I would like to know your friend from TN since that is where I am. I keep a 90 horse J3 on floats at my house on the TN river near Chattanooga and my buddy ties his there as well. We are seen year round boring holes in the sky and scaring the Bass in the lake.
    I will be in AK for 3 weeks this year in August. My wife will be with me part of the time and I thought I might consider flying with you some as long as I can find her something to do while I'm playing.
    Let me know how your schedule looks the 2nd or 3rd wk of august.
    Thanks

Give me and e-mail or call
    dragonfly@alaska.net or 907-226-2899 if you think you might be by my area...
    My buddy lives over in Clarksville. He normally flies a V tailed Doctor killer, but he sure can fly the heck out of a Cub on floats as well.

I just wanted to let all you pilots know that Alex here with Dragonfly has a great little guest cabin that he likes to rent to pilots. My wife and I were down in Homer and we stayed there for a night. The cabin was quite comfortable and Alex and Inga were very hospitable. Thanks, Alex! I'll have to stop by again next time I'm down that way. Hopefully next time I'll actually be flying down!

Thanks for the good words AKAV8R. It has been raining ever since you left... We need more of that interior sunshine that you brought down with you....

I am starting another float-rating today... we may have to wear wet-suits.