Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Southeast Alaska Glacier Bear Pics

  1. #1

    Default Southeast Alaska Glacier Bear Pics

    I was fortunate this May to get some video of this bear while hunting. It was different shades of blue/black depending on how it was standing. Used snapshot to take pics off video file too large to post.
    Found some more info on these bears...


    What is the rarest color phase of American black bears?
    While white is the rarest color phase, a very uncommon and particularly beautiful color phase of the black bear is the blue-gray or glacier bears of southeastern Alaska, northwestern British Columbia and the southwest Yukon. The undercoat of the glacier bears is a rich blue-black, while the outer guard hairs are long and white (or light yellow) with silver tips. This color variation probably evolved during the last ice age when populations were isolated along the unfrozen sections of the coastline, due to the biological process of genetic drift (random fluctuations in the genetic composition of a small population). The blue-gray color is ideal camouflage against the backdrop of frozen ice - the bears are nearly impossible to spot unless they are moving. Unfortunately, this color phase is on the decline. Immigration of non-glacier black bears and emigration of glacier bears across the now unfrozen landscape, are causing the gene frequency to be eliminated in the face of more dominant color phases, as the two mingle and mate
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    Default glacier bear pics

    Some more pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3

    Default Glacier bear

    Last pics of different angle..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default walk log

    see that log to the left of the Bear in the last two pics ...

    I bet that is a natural highway (and well used) for Bears to get from the woods down to the tidal flats.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Pretty remarkable. Thanks. J.

  6. #6

    Question

    I would have shot it. Wasn't the season open?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default bag limit

    Yes the season was open but Loren had already used his tag a few days earlier on this Cinnamon .... we were looking for a Brown Bear ....




  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley trash.....and proud of it.
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Nice bear (either the one shot or captured on pic). I like those colored phase bears.

    Heres mine shot out of Tok a couple of years ago. at first I thought it was just the down fur but its the actual hair. In good light it looks blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Member Bighorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    Posts
    2,032

    Default What a shame

    Oh well, that glacial bear looks nice too.

    Thanks for sharing. Just seeing one is special.

    A local guide here in Sitka had a client take one this year out of his Yakatat area.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nikiski Alaska
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l.nodolf View Post
    Last pics of different angle..
    nice bear, I'd love to see one in the wild

  11. #11

    Thumbs up Bears of Color

    Saw one one time, up by Tazlina Glacier, that had his entire head, Silver as a dime. Wished I could have gotten him.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Thanks for posting the pics and details. Would like to see one some day, since the one died at the zoo been hard to find one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •