Thread: What is the law

Default What is the law

Been looking for the rules on halibut, if I'm going out for 3 days I can have 4 fish (2 per day) can I cut them up and put on ice or do they need to be left whole.

Default Yes you can fillet

You can fillet them but the fillet must be left whole(minus what you eat) so they can still count the number of fish caught.
    You are only allowed to fillet them into 4 fillets and 2 cheeks per Halibut.
    You are allowed to eat some of your fish at sea. It is in the fishing regs.
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    You can fillet them but the fillet must be left whole(minus what you eat) so they can still count the number of fish caught.
    You are only allowed to fillet them into 4 fillets and 2 cheeks per Halibut.
    You are allowed to eat some of your fish at sea. It is in the fishing regs.
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/
    Where in there is the information about having to leave the fillets whole? I tried to find that in the pages you cited, but haven't had any luck. Could you point me in the right direction there? Thanks.

In Convention waters in and off Alaska, no person shall possess on board a vessel, including

charter vessels and pleasure craft used for
    fi shing, halibut that has been fi lleted, mutilated, or
    otherwise dis

fi gured in any manner, except that
    (a) Each halibut may be cut into no more than 2 ventral pieces, 2 dorsal pieces, and 2 cheek
    pieces, with skin on all pieces; and
    Sorry wrong link
    Here is the correct one: http://www.iphc.washington.edu

Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 05-30-2010 at 14:03. Reason: mispelled link

At the bottom of AOJ's front page is a summation of the particular law with a little graphic as well: http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I was checked last year and Told by Hawaii Five O
    that even if fish are on ice they are still considered in my possesion.
    They would have to be on a freezer, canned etc.
    Very nice guy but was really looking for a excuse to give me a ticket.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I was checked last year and Told by Hawaii Five O
    that even if fish are on ice they are still considered in my possesion.
    They would have to be on a freezer, canned etc.
    Very nice guy but was really looking for a excuse to give me a ticket.
    You are correct. But he is still allowed a daily limit of 2 and a posession limit of 4 Halibut total per person.
    I forgot to mention you must also leave the skin on.

Default Found it, thanks kasilofchrisn

Page 28/29
    Sport Fishing for Halibut—Areas 2C, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E
    (1) In waters in and off Alaska
    (a) The sport fishing season is from February 1 to December 31;
    (b) The daily bag limit is two halibut of any size per day per person unless a more restrictive
    bag limit applies in federal regulations at 50CFR 300.65; and
    (c) No person may possess more than two daily bag limits.
    (2) In Convention waters in and off Alaska, no person shall possess on board a vessel, including
    charter vessels and pleasure craft used for fishing, halibut that has been filleted, mutilated, or
    otherwise disfigured in any manner, except that
    (a) Each halibut may be cut into no more than 2 ventral pieces, 2 dorsal pieces, and 2 cheek
    pieces, with skin on all pieces; and
    PACIFIC HALIBUT FISHERY REGULATIONS 2010
    (b) halibut in excess of the possession limit in paragraph (1)(c) of this section may be possessed
    on a vessel that does not contain sport fishing gear, fishing rods, handlines, or gaffs.

NMFS could implement more restrictive regulations for the sport fishery or components of it, therefore,
    anglers are advised to check the current federal or state regulations prior to fishing.

Default Here is an interesting twist...

Once you have the fish home, you can do what you want with them, correct? So.....what if you live, even part of the year, on your boat? It is OK to filet your fish into as many pieces as you want once you are home, and keep those filets on ice or however you want to keep it fresh, or have them in a bucket of brine for instance, and still not frozen or smoked.

And, the IRS recognizes a boat as a second home; such as, you can deduct "mortgage" interest on a boat as a second home IF the boat has water, a head, and a stove, maybe heat too, not sure about that.

Anyway, if you are living on a boat, let's say just overnight, and it meets the definition of your second home (like Pete/Spoiled one that stays out with his family for days at a time...on the "Delicious" or whatever, always forget his boat name) so, can you filet and store the fish as you wish?

Please, NOT trying to stretch the rules here, but if you can't break those big halibut filets into smaller pieces, hard to put them in a cooler in sealed bags (like gallon ziplocs) to keep them fresh and out of the water. So, am I thinking of something here that MEETS the rules...which include once you are HOME

Also, let's say I am moored in front of my remote cabin, which IS a home...can I then skin my filets out there and toss them in the water, so I don't have to do that on the shore, which is a big time BEAR CALL!!???

Doesn't matter if you are home or not, the fish are still IN POSSESSION until they are frozen, canned, smoked, dried - regs used to refer to being in a state to remain edible after 15 days, don't know if they still say that. So no, just getting them "home" (even if that's your boat) doesn't get them out of possession.

Also, the fact that your fish are too big to fit in a ziploc is no excuse - two dorsal, two ventral filets with skin on, can't cut 'em smaller.

The rules may be inconvenient, but they're still the rules. My recommendation - catch small fish like I do!

And Pete's boat is "Patience" cause it took so freakin' long to get it delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Doesn't matter if you are home or not, the fish are still IN POSSESSION until they are frozen, canned, smoked, dried - regs used to refer to being in a state to remain edible after 15 days, don't know if they still say that. So no, just getting them "home" (even if that's your boat) doesn't get them out of possession.
    As of last year that was still the case According to ADF&G Soldotna office.
    I had asked about crabs being cleaned cooked and Iced and they said they had to be "fit for consumption after 15 days"
    They told me that ment frozen. I suppose canned would work also.
    I am not sure how you would work the live aboard boat scenario?

You're thinking about this way too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Once you have the fish home, you can do what you want with them, correct? So.....what if you live, even part of the year, on your boat? It is OK to filet your fish into as many pieces as you want once you are home, and keep those filets on ice or however you want to keep it fresh, or have them in a bucket of brine for instance, and still not frozen or smoked.

And, the IRS recognizes a boat as a second home; such as, you can deduct "mortgage" interest on a boat as a second home IF the boat has water, a head, and a stove, maybe heat too, not sure about that.

Anyway, if you are living on a boat, let's say just overnight, and it meets the definition of your second home (like Pete/Spoiled one that stays out with his family for days at a time...on the "Delicious" or whatever, always forget his boat name) so, can you filet and store the fish as you wish?

Please, NOT trying to stretch the rules here, but if you can't break those big halibut filets into smaller pieces, hard to put them in a cooler in sealed bags (like gallon ziplocs) to keep them fresh and out of the water. So, am I thinking of something here that MEETS the rules...which include once you are HOME

Also, let's say I am moored in front of my remote cabin, which IS a home...can I then skin my filets out there and toss them in the water, so I don't have to do that on the shore, which is a big time BEAR CALL!!???

Default I'm thinking about this way too hard...

Yeah, I know, I need to go fishing! I re now about the 15 day preservation rule, so even if you bring a bunch of fish filets home to your palace and put them in the fridge, and they equal a posession limit, you gotta can, smoke, freeze or dry them or some means of preservation before you catch more and bring them home.... so you gotta have a freezer or a smoker on your live-on boat!

Well, I have a freezer at my cabin, just quit cleaning fish on the shore after calling a few bears that way, like to do it on the moored boat and take them to shore in zip locs and then vacuum pack them...guess that is illegal, but sure safer, I'll have to think again about doing that...they have to be prepped to go into the freezer in any case, and I never have more than an legal limit, but do want to skin them too before I take them to shore. Maybe I'll confuse a trooper and ask about this

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    You're thinking about this way too hard.
    Yup. I think you can make a case for "exceptions" to just about any law that's on the books if you really want to twist things around. Never quite figured out why so many people get so much enjoyment out of trying to find that "special" exception to the law unless you actually fit that scenario. I guess that's why there are so many attorneys out there.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

"Delicious" for a boat name? Really?

And Pete's boat is "Patience" cause it took so freakin' long to get it delivered!
    You nailed it. I started a trend. After mine out came: "Waiting Game", "Endurance", "'bout time" to name a few.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default I know you love your boat...

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    "Delicious" for a boat name? Really?

You nailed it. I started a trend. After mine out came: "Waiting Game", "Endurance", "'bout time" to name a few.

Pete, you love your boat so much all I could think of was "delicious", besides I was just seeing if you were paying attention! Check your regular email from me!

Default Just trying to work WITH the law...

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yup. I think you can make a case for "exceptions" to just about any law that's on the books if you really want to twist things around. Never quite figured out why so many people get so much enjoyment out of trying to find that "special" exception to the law unless you actually fit that scenario. I guess that's why there are so many attorneys out there.
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but I didn't mean to come across as enjoying picking at a law My concern is keeping my fish as fresh as possible, I understand the intent of the law is to allow icing of fish, but keeping them intact enough for a check of staying within the limit (Which I always do, whether anyone is looking or not...). I was serious about the second home thing, I do "fit that scenario" but forgot about the possession limit existing until the fish is preserved. I stay out for several weeks at a time, a little different challenge than coming back to port everyday. But, I'll work it all out within the letter and the spirit of the law!

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but I didn't mean to come across as enjoying picking at a law My concern is keeping my fish as fresh as possible, I understand the intent of the law is to allow icing of fish, but keeping them intact enough for a check of staying within the limit (Which I always do, whether anyone is looking or not...). I was serious about the second home thing, I do "fit that scenario" but forgot about the possession limit existing until the fish is preserved. I stay out for several weeks at a time, a little different challenge than coming back to port everyday. But, I'll work it all out within the letter and the spirit of the law!
    Sorry.. I wasn't implying that you were. Just that there are people out there that seem to set their life goals on doing whatever they can to either bend or get around a law.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com