Thread: Laws concerning lease of rifles to Tourists

Default Laws concerning lease of rifles to Tourists

Hi guys

Although this is not an actual hunting question, this part of the forum seemed the most appropriate for this kind of question.

Im a Dane and im scheduled to hike around in Alaska from early june to early july, as part of both a seminar i'll be attending but also (and primarily) as a tourist.
    Hearing all these stories about bear encounters and such, i get the feeling that they do not deliberately attack humans, but could still be unpredictable (correct me if im wrong). Thus i was wondering about the laws concerning the lease of rifles to a tourist. Im a former danish army sargent with more than enough rifle knowledge and I do not fall into the "previously convicted of anything" or "on serious medication" categories, so what are my options regarding protection by rifle while trekking? It is ofcourse implied that I do not intend to hunt anything.

In general I guess perhaps I'd like someone to let me know whether a rifle is even necessary or if I should definitely consider it.

Thanks in advance

Jakob
    Denmark

Interesting question. I don't know the answer. Have never heard of any place that "leases" or rents firearms.

Lots and lots of folks running around Alaska's back country without firearms.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sievers View Post
    Hi guys

Although this is not an actual hunting question, this part of the forum seemed the most appropriate for this kind of question.

Im a Dane and im scheduled to hike around in Alaska from early june to early july, as part of both a seminar i'll be attending but also (and primarily) as a tourist.
    Hearing all these stories about bear encounters and such, i get the feeling that they do not deliberately attack humans, but could still be unpredictable (correct me if im wrong). Thus i was wondering about the laws concerning the lease of rifles to a tourist. Im a former danish army sargent with more than enough rifle knowledge and I do not fall into the "previously convicted of anything" or "on serious medication" categories, so what are my options regarding protection by rifle while trekking? It is ofcourse implied that I do not intend to hunt anything.

In general I guess perhaps I'd like someone to let me know whether a rifle is even necessary or if I should definitely consider it.

Thanks in advance

Jakob
    Denmark
    Jakob,

As opposed to trying to lease a gun, it will be a lot easier to buy some bear spray at any of the "outdoor" stores here(REI, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc). A can, with holster, costs about $40.00 US. If you are concerned about the bears, just like a gun, you have to have it on your belt and ready to be used.

Default non-residnet alien

As a non-resident alien you cannot posses a firearm without the proper permitting from the US Gov.

Permits are issued in advance of your arrival for your weapon only. And it has to be for a match shoot or for hunting. You cannot posses for protection purposes.

Don't worry about a bear confrontation. Read up on Bear behavior and generally educate yourself on bear country etiquette.

And then as suggested arm yourself with some Bear spray.

Default non-res alien

While you can't legally pack a firearm, that doesn't stop you from making a friend of an American and inviting him and his weapon along with you on your trek. You might get a little local knowledge out of the deal too. In otherwords, he might know of some local trails or areas that would be of interest to you depending on what you are hoping to see on your hike.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

You don't need a firearm for bears, bear spray is suffice.

Default Follow-up question

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies! I will make due with the Bear Spray.

A quick follow-up question though: Seeing as america is wellknown for its abundance of guns among its residents, I was wondering if any firing range in the vicinity of Fairbanks or Anchorage, is offering the possibillity of a little gun practice with a wider range of weapons? The thing is, I might be a vet from the Danish army but our range of weapons were still very limited and im kind of curious about trying to operate some more exotic weapons, such as f.ex. AK-47's, M60s, etc.

Once more, thanks in advance!

Jakob
    Denmark

Default shooting forum

You might try posting your question about shooting a variety of guns on the "shooting" area of this forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...isplay.php?f=5

There may be some folks who can help you out.

Oh sorry, hadnt noticed that underforum. Thanks for the advice. I'll move my question in there immidiately!

Cheers

Default bears and guns

You don't need a firearm for bears...........until you need a firearm for bears.