Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The thutty thutty!

Default The thutty thutty!

What rifle carries more nastolgia than a model 94/30-30? I have one that is nothing special. It's a mid 70's version, still clean as a pin but yet it's just one of several million made.

As I was wiping down the guns in my keeper stuff cabinet I was recalling hunts and kills made with each as it was there turn for a little love. I got to this 30-30 and came up pretty much empty. The only thing I ever killed with it was a chicken hawk that was slaughtering my pen raised quail. There are no memories afield with it. It was taken to Mo. a few times as a back up gun during deer season and I can only remember carrying it one uneventful day.

I wouldn't part with this old 30-30 for love nor money. I think about next January I'll take it to southern Iowa for late doe only season and let it make a memory or two...it desreves the chance.

Anybody got a good kill story for their 30-30?

What? you've got a collection of 798's AND an old Mod94? You're killing me, EKC.

Of course you know...without pictures..

Default Marlin 1894 30/30

When I was growing up in Kenny Lake we had a pack of wolves attack our dogs at about 2AM. We had a very large McKenzie River Husky who hunkered next with his butt backed against the door. He knew the drill. We also had a husky lab mix that wasn't so lucky. I ran out to save him being a macho young 16 year old and I grabbed the old long tom Marlin with a 26 inch octagon barrel and buckhorn sights and went to save fluffy(my sister named him)
    I got out to where they were tearing him up and one rushed my direction. I let her have it at about 20 yards and it blew front shoulder and plastered her up against a tree dead. The others took out of Dodge and Fluffy was dead too.
    I had to bury fluffy but I got a wolf pelt out of the deal.

I shot all sorts of raiding vermin and owls bent on killing our livestock with that gun. It was meant to protect the homestead.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

About 33 years ago, in the summer of my 22nd year (age of 21) I was working as a hand on the Mount Hagan Cattle Ranch in Deer Lodge Montana. It was a late summer Sunday evening just after dark, which comes late in Western Montana that time of year, past 10 PM. There were a bunch of us lounging around in the Ranch House living room watching TV before retiring for the night to get up at sun up, about 5 AM, to start another week's work.

Like all ranches, they had a CB radio for communications, and while a bunch of us was laying around watching the tube, a call came across the radio alerting us of possible rustlers that had pulled up by a pasture with a semi and cattle trailer. It was like a seen straight from a Western movie... all the hands got up right now and filed past the gun cabinet which held half a dozen or more Winchester lever 30-30's, and grabbed one and jumped into the pickups and took off leaving clouds of dust behind them. There were no rustlers found and no shots fired, but it's a memory burned into my mind for as long as I will live. Western culture was new to me as I was there for the summer from back East were I spent most of my life.

As a kid growing up in PA, the 30-30 was the probably the most popular deer rifle used. It was known as a "brush gun", as most PA deer hunting was at close quarters. I would love to have one in my small collection even though I'm not sure what I would do with it other than fun shooting. It would be great to just have hanging on the wall and take down for some plinking now and then.

My mdl 94 30-30 was the first center fire rifle I ever owned. My dad brought it up from Alabama where I am sure it took a deer or two before I was born. I carried it on just a few hunts but never did shoot anything with it. In fact I was carrying it when I took my first caribou but the shot was 150+ yards out so my dad handed me his 7mm. First time I ever fired the 7mm and the bou piled up instantly. I guess the winny is destined to live life as a brides maid until perhaps one of my boys put's it to good use. I got three sons and certainly one of them will take a liking to that ole' girl. Then again if I get some time to chase black bears this fall I may just reach past the 270 for a change and get a little nostalgic myself.

Default Will a 32 sp count

It's pretty much the same thing. My grandpa gave me his old Mdl 94 when I was a kid. I shot my first moose with it at 13 and it's nailed a lot of moose since. One that was charging dropped at 8 yards. Got a couple black bear with it. I like that light little gun.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I shot my first deer with the one I still have, or should I say my son-in-law has it his rack in waiting for my 10-year old granddaughter to be ready.

The buck was a scraggly 3-point mule deer at about 50 yards. The funny part of the story is all about the horse I was riding and what came after.

My uncle (it's his ranch) lined me out on one particular horse, telling me it was a good one for a first deer because you could shoot off her back and she wouldn't even flinch. Now, my uncle being a practical joker of the first water, I didn't trust him. The night before I went out and stood behind the mare and cracked off a round into the air, and she only turned to look at me. Fair enough.

Mid-morning on opening day I left the line cabin before daylight, riding out on my own as was family tradition. Saw the buck, whacked it and the horse didn't flinch. That is till I led her over to load up the buck. She got one whiff of the blood and took off in one motion.

I dragged on that little buck all day, and it was probably a good thing it was small.

Of course, that wasn't the end of the story. I topped the rise over the cabin at dusk, just as they were mounting a search party.

That night I "finished" the story when I learned of another family tradition: First guy to get a deer is cook and bottle washer for the duration of the hunt. NOBODY shoots a deer opening day unless it's so big that he's willing to do a week's cooking and washing for it.

I'm hoping my granddaughter takes her first deer with that rifle, and once she does I'll tell her about my own first deer. As I help her drag it out.

Default Lake Elsinore

When I was a 18 year old, I went on my first deer hunt, alone. I drove down in the wee hours to Lake Elsinore in the California desert to hunt the diminutive deer they had there, a large buck going maybe 100 or so pounds. Our next door neighbor had loaned me his 30-30, since my father didn't like guns and wouldn't let me have one. But, I had been going into the high desert areas by myself for several years just to explore and knew there were plenty of deer down at Elsinore.

I had situated myself at the base of a stunted cottonwood by a dry creek bed, waiting for something to show when I felt a little bump through my back and saw some bark fall past my shoulder. I heard the report immediately after this happened. There I was, sitting with my orange hat on and some **** fool had taken a shot at me. Looking around, I heard the "zip" as a bullet flew past me and then another ker-pow! This time, I saw a tiny flash or reflection, maybe 200 yards away. Raising the 30-30, I aimed, probably way too low, and touched off a round. I waited, but another shot never came. Yeah, I should have ducked behind the tree after the second shot but I was young and green. (Read dumb) After 10 or 15 seconds, I heard someone yell, "Sorry!" Sorry? I won't repeat here what I replied, so the Moderators won't slap my wrist.
    When I got home and told my WWII vet father what had happened, he made me swear off "hunting" until I was out of his house.

A year or so later, I went on my next hunt, but took a .270.

Wish he was here this memorial Day weekend, so I could thank him for his service.

I don't have any good stories on the Model 94 sitting in my safe. I bought it from a friend back in the early 90's for the princely sum of $100. He also tossed in a set of RCBS Dies and some loaded rounds with 110gr JHP he made up.
    He had bought it about 10yrs earlier when he was in the USN and caught me sneaking out of work one morning on my way to look at a Model 99 that was in the local classifieds for the same price and offered to sell me his.
    But, this year I somehow managed to draw a Rifle Bull Elk Tag during the Rut here in AZ and I am bent on using the 30-30. So come October I may have some pictures to post.

I too have a model 94 30-30 that was the second, after a Winchester 22, and last new rifle my dad ever bought me. The local hardware store was going out of business and had everything marked way down. It will always hold good memories because he got me a "deer rifle". I upgraded from my surplus British 303 to the caliber that Outdoor Life told me had killed more deer than any other.

Sad to say I never liked it as much as I should have because I had my heart set on a bolt gun. I also blamed it for lack of "knock down" in my youth when it was I to blame with less than perfect shot placement. Last, but not least, it nearly blew my leg off one rainy day when I was sitting in the farm truck on a rainy day watching the pasture for deer. Bored, about 14 years old, and stupidly had one in the chamber and I was cocking it, then going to half cock, cocking it, going to.... BOOM. My thumb slipped. After my heart started beating again I looked down and breathed a sigh of relief as I saw the muzzle cleared past my leg a few inches.

Saying all that to say I have had thoughts about getting the old Winchester thuddy thutty out of the safe and refreshing our relationship and take it deer hunting this fall!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

94 Winchester 30-30.

I've got THREE of the blame things, BUT I can't recommend them to anyone because IME, they are NOT ACCURATE. (In my hands anyway.)

Of course, I don't hafta recommend them since they seem to be so irresistible.

Everyone should own a 30-30 Lever Action. (Except Me.)

A long time ago, when I was single, I owned a Marlin 336T chambered for 30-30. I shot a Snow Shoe Wabbit with it. I grooved his haid, and I ate him all by myself.

And, there you have it.....
    Another exciting episode in my Life of Low Adventure.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    94 Winchester 30-30.

I've got THREE of the blame things, BUT I can't recommend them to anyone because IME, they are NOT ACCURATE. (In my hands anyway.)

Of course, I don't hafta recommend them since they seem to be so irresistible.

Everyone should own a 30-30 Lever Action. (Except Me.)

A long time ago, when I was single, I owned a Marlin 336T chambered for 30-30. I shot a Snow Shoe Wabbit with it. I grooved his haid, and I ate him all by myself.

And, there you have it.....
    Another exciting episode in my Life of Low Adventure.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, if ya ever wanna git rid of one of them, let me know. I've got a several sets of deer antlers on the wall that would look good supporting a 94 30-30 And it dont hafta be a good shooter, just as long as it can get a deer, or a bear (small one) or a marmot from the kitchen window and look good on the antlers, it will be fine

I've got one of the Marlin 336s handed down through the family from a granddad. Shot my first of a pile of stuff with that thing (white-tail deer, groundhogs, skunks, etc.). I don't keep it in AK but I do leave it with my family in TN and thats my rifle if I manage to get down South during deer season.

For a long while it was my only centerfire rifle... at least until after college a job yielded enough cash to start buying my own. A bunch of my friends down there are still using 30-30s without complaint.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Smitty, if ya ever wanna git rid of one of them, let me know. I've got a several sets of deer antlers on the wall that would look good supporting a 94 30-30 And it dont hafta be a good shooter, just as long as it can get a deer, or a bear (small one) or a marmot from the kitchen window and look good on the antlers, it will be fine
    Thanks MR:
    Two of them are special models.

The best shooter is one that is the oldest, and looks like someone drug it behind a truck, all the way up the Alcan Highway, during numorus rain storms.

I think I'm finally getting a handle on these contraptions. (I could be Rong Again.) I'm using 2 shot groups, and letting the barrel, and OTHER PARTS, cool between shots, to determine accuracy, and IF it's actually sighted in. Or, IF, its a good load.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Well Smitty,

They may not be accurate, I really can't say. My idea of sighting mine in is to take a couple shots at a #10 can at about 30 yards...If I hit it with one that's good enough. I was doing a count in my head and I count 8 moose and two blackies. Not a single one was further than 30 yards...several were practically point blank shots. So...keep them for what they are good for, close hunting, they certainly aren't sheep rifles.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default Dad was wanten to show me how to hunt

and one summer He bought me a brand new 94/30 30 . we went out to an area to practice with our guns . He brought his old savage "99" 30 30. after a box of shells I wanted to trade him so bad , the gun was embarrassingly innaccurate and too boot shells would jam in the works.
    I loved my dad and never shared my dissappointment, but I was so unhappy with it I gave it away. I couldn't in good consciense sell it , I was too embarrassed to have owned it . I eventually got his savage any way, which has no trouble hitting a tin can at 200 yards.
    It was a long time before I bought another lever gun but they are both rossi and serve me just fine.
    Winchester may have had a good name at some time or another but I'm not sure I'd want one as a gift. If I don't trust it I don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    and one summer He bought me a brand new 94/30 30 . we went out to an area to practice with our guns . He brought his old savage "99" 30 30. after a box of shells I wanted to trade him so bad , the gun was embarrassingly innaccurate and too boot shells would jam in the works.
    I loved my dad and never shared my dissappointment, but I was so unhappy with it I gave it away. I couldn't in good consciense sell it , I was too embarrassed to have owned it . I eventually got his savage any way, which has no trouble hitting a tin can at 200 yards.
    It was a long time before I bought another lever gun but they are both rossi and serve me just fine.
    Winchester may have had a good name at some time or another but I'm not sure I'd want one as a gift. If I don't trust it I don't want it.
    You can get a bad one in anything and once you do it usually sticks in your head. I had the same luck with BLR 243 and today I won't even pick one up off the rack to look at.

My 30-30 is smooth and cycles ammo to perfection. Like the rest it ain't no tack driver. I shoot it about as well as I shoot anything with iron sights about minute of pop can at 50 yards.

I got a bunch of pointy 125 grain 30 cal bullets that I am going to load for this gun. It'll turn it into a two shooter, one in the chamber and one in the tube but two oughts to be enough anyway...right?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

I got a bunch of pointy 125 grain 30 cal bullets that I am going to load for this gun. It'll turn it into a two shooter, one in the chamber and one in the tube but two oughts to be enough anyway...right?
    I loaded a whole bunch of Sierra 125's using RL-7 (Speer manual 130 grain for reference) for a friend's Remington 788 bolt in 30-30, and holy cow, were they ever accurate. Each of his kids whacked their first deer with that load, and he flattened a few himself. I didn't chrono them, but was aiming for 2450-2500fps. Whatever the true velocity of that load, itwas just right for that bullet on game. It actually killed faster than factory loads while shooting flatter. You're stuck with a two shooter loading them in the 94 like you say, but I suspect you're really going to like them.

Lots and Lots and Lots of woodchucks and a few other things you shouldnít use a 30-30 for, no big game I never felt it was good enough for it even though I know it is, and has been used for a long time. When I was younger I read an article about the 30-30 and the author stated something that I was noticing on my own, and that was simply, People give the 30-30 too much credit in its abilities, or in their abilities with it. The author guesstimated that just as many whitetail have been lost to the 30-30 as have been taken. I know a guy who likes to shoot his out past 300yds and claims that itís the best thing out there for Whitetail deerÖ the guy is an idiot. I donít think they should be used for big game past 100 yds.
    I just stuck with the small game and fun shooting, I havenít shot my '94 win 30-30 in over 10 years, still looks like new, and I will probably never sell it.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Since the bear was shot with a 3030, I thought it was only appropriate to list this link here:

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/31/130199...ly-attack.html

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast