Thread: DPE in Anchorage?

Question DPE in Anchorage?

I am getting close to being ready for my private pilot check ride, any recommendations for DPE's in and around the Anchorage area? Experiences good & bad? I have my own Cessna 150, but I'm 215 so I would need a small examiner or have to rent a 172. Thanks

Heidi Ruess at Arctic Flyers
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by onebadjudge70 View Post
    I am getting close to being ready for my private pilot check ride, any recommendations for DPE's in and around the Anchorage area? Experiences good & bad? I have my own Cessna 150, but I'm 215 so I would need a small examiner or have to rent a 172. Thanks
    Can you tell us your secrets to a long life? You don't look a a day over 150. Try Aero Tech. The owner handles the ck rides, and I doubt he weighs more than 120 Lbs

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Can you tell us your secrets to a long life? You don't look a a day over 150. Try Aero Tech. The owner handles the ck rides, and I doubt he weighs more than 120 Lbs
    Pray he doesn't fall asleep on your ride....

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Pray he doesn't fall asleep on your ride....
    I'm always praying the examiner DOES fall asleep!
    Louis Knapp

Many years ago while doing my instrument training, my instructor had been on an all night bender before we did a HOOD long cross country. He was really quite for over an hour and I peeked out from under the hood. He was passed out while I was tooling along at 10,000 (C-182) following a flight plan. I just kept going along and landed at our next stop. He never woke up, so after a snack and bathroom break I took off for the return trip. His company fired him a week or so later. I guess that counted as real IFR...

I don't think Dick Ardez at Aero Tech is a DPE anymore.

Default Overweight

Quote Originally Posted by onebadjudge70 View Post
    OK, probably a dumb question but since I am interested in getting my pilot's license, I missed the "215" in the above question. Is this his weight and if so is the limit on the 150 that close? I have a friend who wants to sell me a 150 and I weigh 225#'s. ???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post
    Really? I still see him in the office. Maybe he finally lost his medical.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    OK, probably a dumb question but since I am interested in getting my pilot's license, I missed the "215" in the above question. Is this his weight and if so is the limit on the 150 that close? I have a friend who wants to sell me a 150 and I weigh 225#'s. ???

Thanks
    I don't have a 150 POH handy but I recall they have 600lbs or so useful load. Can get pretty close with a passenger and full fuel.

Default Limit

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I don't have a 150 POH handy but I recall they have 600lbs or so useful load. Can get pretty close with a passenger and full fuel.
    I knew they had to have a weight limit and didn't take into account the fuel also. I should have remembered this as a neighbor had a "flying boat" and he and I weighed about the same and the limit was 500#'s, including fuel. He said we needed to lose some weight and he would take me up. Never did. Picture of a flying boat like he had.

http://flyingboatinfo.com/used/PICT0026.JPG

Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    I knew they had to have a weight limit and didn't take into account the fuel also. I should have remembered this as a neighbor had a "flying boat" and he and I weighed about the same and the limit was 500#'s, including fuel. He said we needed to lose some weight and he would take me up. Never did. Picture of a flying boat like he had.

http://flyingboatinfo.com/used/PICT0026.JPG

Thanks, Mark
    From the looks of that thing you may be lucky it never happened. I learned in the 150/152 and had some pretty hefty CFIs and never had a problem, alhough the extended range model[36 gal] sure used a lot of runway with a passenger and full fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Many years ago while doing my instrument training, my instructor had been on an all night bender before we did a HOOD long cross country. He was really quite for over an hour and I peeked out from under the hood. He was passed out while I was tooling along at 10,000 (C-182) following a flight plan. I just kept going along and landed at our next stop. He never woke up, so after a snack and bathroom break I took off for the return trip. His company fired him a week or so later. I guess that counted as real IFR...
    So much for the phrase "safety pilot" on a under the hood simulated IMC flight.

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post
    I don't know why, but yeah, his DPE got pulled by the FAA. However, it seems he's back in business b/c I know of another DPE in Anchorage who just gave him a checkride last week (which he apparently passed). He's gotta be pushing 90!

I also heard that the FAA pulled Dick Lockner's DPE...

While on paper a lack of DPEs looks good for retaining a large FED staff at FSDO, but if they don't watch out they may actually have to leave the office and do something.

Heidi Ruess...took my ride with here in April and it was very straight forward. No surprises, we just worked through the PTS.

Heidi gave me my tail wheel endorsement back in Jan. What a great person! Don't let her grandmotherly appearance and demeanor fool you. She can handle an airplane like it's nobody's business. I think she would be a great examiner.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights