Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Alaska Sues Feds Over Predator control

  1. #1
    Member bilbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mayer, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    133

    Default Alaska Sues Feds Over Predator control

    At issue is the state's plan to kill wolves to preserve a caribou herd inside the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge on Unimak Island, beginning as early as Tuesday.



    http://www.seattlepi.com/national/15...r_control.html

  2. #2
    Supporting Member AFHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Registered Guide, AK
    Posts
    658

    Default 10% down already

    It appears Aleutian guide service has harvested 10% of the total population of wolves on one hunt. This one hunt is either very lucky or the wolf population is a little higher that 30. Either way a link below is attached of the successful hunt.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=80658

  3. #3

    Default

    I think ADFG big mistake was talk before they act. They should have taken care of the problem then worry about USFW.
    Chuck

  4. #4

    Default

    If the State had sent employees in to shoot wolves then those individuals would have been prosecuted. They didn't want to put their employees in that situation.

    The issue on Unimak is all about the State trying to get their foot in the door to allow predator control on refuge's in AK statewide. Then once the precedant is established they can try to push for more predator control on other refuges around AK. At least the FWS wants to learn something about PC before heading into it blindly.

    The State has known this caribou population has been in decline for 2 years now. So why is it such an emergancy all of the sudden. It is a political move by them. The low bull:cow ratios are from surveys two years ago.

    Have folks noticed that the State hasn't said anything about brown bear predation on caribou calves. That is because there is too much money from guides who take brown bear hunters to Unimak. And those same guided brown bear hunters take 85% of the bull caribou that have been harvested there while they are there hunting bears. Unimak is so inaccessible that the locals from False Pass wait for the caribou to come down to the beach before shooting them and that makes for very low subsistence harvest of the herd. The State leaves out that detail for some reason. They also know that there are at least 400 caribou on the island from a more recent survey this year, up from 300 last year. The difference is probably all a matter of finding all the animals from one year to the next but still yet another detail they choose to leave out.

    It is prudent to do wise management and have a study plan in place prior to going in to shoot and ask questions later. The current mentality at ADF&G is risky type seat of the pants management which is why so many of their own current and past biologists are openly criticizing and questioning their decisions on PC.

  5. #5
    Supporting Member AFHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Registered Guide, AK
    Posts
    658

    Default

    If my subsistence lifestyle depended on caribou and the caribou I depended on were dwindling away because of wolves, I would be out killing/trapping wolves like my life depended on it.

    Does anyone have info from the locals? Why did the locals not keep the wolves and bears in check before the caribou herd dwindled away.

    Or have the caribou ate themselves out of forage? Inbreeding may be the cause of caribou decline.

    I don't know what the reason for declining numbers are, but I sure hope F&G achieves the right answer.

    I think the answer to the bull to cow ratio problem is: human harvest.

    There may be a completely obvious reason I am missing an answer to my questions. Anyone know the answer?

  6. #6

    Default

    Memorandum of Understanding

    The state of Alaska agreed to give appropriate federal land managers a reasonable amount of time to analyze a problem(page 24 Part IV paragraph 10)two years is long enough. USFW are acting like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. They need to get the pressure off the caribou then do their study.

    I think AFHunter brought up a more important point where have the locals been? They should have been slinging traps & snares big time. If the guides take 85% o the brown bears that means the locals need to get on them also.
    Chuck

  7. #7
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    I agree..............this a political move. I'm thinking this is just the beginning. Likely to progress to the Supreme court. Picking up where Tony Knowles left off.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I agree..............this a political move. I'm thinking this is just the beginning. Likely to progress to the Supreme court. Picking up where Tony Knowles left off.
    I hope not Tony was the start of a lot of the problems. I just read something about him, he has been appointed to some kind of advisory council for the park service or something along those lines.
    Chuck

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    413

    Default

    We need to go to court and undo what Knowles did. Knowles gave the Feds a big foothold in the state without contest. Now we need to point out the unconstitutionality of it. And get the Feds out of management of Fish and Game in Alaska. That is what we have biologist for.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

  10. #10

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    We need to go to court and undo what Knowles did. Knowles gave the Feds a big foothold in the state without contest. Now we need to point out the unconstitutionality of it. And get the Feds out of management of Fish and Game in Alaska. That is what we have biologist for.
    What Tony Knowles did was: Unconstitutional, Unwarranted, Unconcionable, Unbelievable and Undoable. He was advised of this before he did it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    I think ADFG big mistake was talk before they act. They should have taken care of the problem then worry about USFW.
    Hiline i posed this question last week to some involved with this issues and the short answer was...


    there has been a history of the state and feds attempting to work with each other, and the state did not want to over step anywhere that would get its employees in trouble, along with it has left a paper trail that has led up to this law suit. in short the state did the CYA in paper and balanced the issue in their favor...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  12. #12

    Thumbs up

    Courtesy KTVA.com:

    "On Memorial Day, the Isanotski Corporation of Unimak Island sent a letter to the U.S. Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, saying they support predator control.
    The letter reads:

    We support and welcome the ADFG&G's (Alaska Department of Fish and Game) efforts to control the wolf population in order to give the caribou herd a better chance at recovery.

    Residents also say the wolves have been threatening to small children as well.

    The corporation's announcement comes not even a week after the Alaska Department of Law filed a suit against U.S. Fish and Wildlife for blocking the proposed predator control on Unimak Island."

    So there you go, they are doing it for the kids. Let the blood of the children be on the Feds hands if they don't go along with it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    by Mary Pemberton
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, June 3, 2010
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A federal judge has rejected the state of Alaska's request to immediately kill seven wolves in a national wildlife refuge on Unimak Island.
    Judge H. Russel Holland on Thursday rejected the state's request for a temporary restraining order against the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The judge said, instead, the court would consider a preliminary injunction and set a hearing for Monday.
    The state says that is the latest it can wait to proceed with its plan to removes wolves from caribou calving grounds and boost numbers on the Aleutian chain island.
    The federal wildfire agency has said it wants more time to consider the state's plan for predator control within the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge. It has threatened legal action if state employees go into the refuge to conduct the wolf-killing mission.





    ............
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  14. #14

    Default

    Holland, Feds one Alaska Zero
    Chuck

  15. #15

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Holland, Feds one Alaska Zero
    NO. Not just "one". Holland has ruled against Alaska in every case he has heard. Why do you think they take it out of state to hear it?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    GOt the EO in the mail today both hunting and trapping seasons have been extended for unimak Island wolfs
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  17. #17
    Member Alaskantrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    valley
    Posts
    136

    Default Unimak Emergency Order

    Just checked the Alaska Fish and Game state web site on EO's and they have not listed anything for unimak island wolves. How do you get on this mailing list for EO's wasn't aware of a mailing list?
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

  18. #18
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    Just checked the Alaska Fish and Game state web site on EO's and they have not listed anything for unimak island wolves. How do you get on this mailing list for EO's wasn't aware of a mailing list?
    Jim the EO came from the Board of game, contact for a copy of the regulation

    Kristy Tibbles at Alaska Department of Fish and Game Board of game, PO box 115526, Juneau, AK 99811-5526; phone number (907)465-4110
    or go to

    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/gameinfo/index.php


    " On May 26, 2010 the Alaska Board of Game adopted, as emergency regulations, changes in Title 5 of the Alaska Administrative Code dealing with wolf trapping and hunting season dates for Unimak Island in Game Management unit 10, Including the following:

    1) 5 AAC 84.270(13) the previous trapping season ending date of March 31 was changed to June 30 for that portion of Unimak Island west of 164 degrees west longitude.

    2) 5 AAC 85.056(a)(2) the previous hunting season ending date of May 25 was changed to June 30 for that portion of Unimak Island west of the 164 degrees west longitude.

    the emergency regulations took effect May 27, 2010 and will expire September 23, 2010. The board of Game does not intend to make the emergency regulations permanent.
    to get on the mailing list contact your boards support person for region II you will get Email notifications of board and AC meetings as well receive all mailing by the board including the Proposal books that come out during the board cycles.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  19. #19
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Dear Vince This just in!

    by Channel 2 News
    Monday, June 7, 2010

    ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A judge denied the state of Alaskaís request for a restraining order and preliminary junction to shoot wolves on Unimak Island Monday.

    U.S. District Judge H. Russell Holland seemed to agree that something should be done on Unimak Island, but that the Department of Fish and Game didnít make enough of a legal argument and that he didnít have enough jurisdiction to allow them to shoot the wolves.

    Read the rest of the story at KTUU.com and watch the evening newscasts for reactions from state officials and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
    .........................
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  20. #20
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Under the Fish and Game EO webpage it does not reflect this change?

    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...lations.orders
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •