Thread: RL22 and the 7mm rem mag

Default RL22 and the 7mm rem mag

OK, curious if anybody has any experience using RL22 when reloading the 7mm. I've been using IMR 7828 and it works ok, but I'm not completely satisfied. I shoot a TC Encore and feel that I should be getting better grouping than 1"-2" groups at 100 yds. Thanks for the info in advance.

IMR 7828 is generally recognized as an excellent powder for the 7 mag - it was allegedly the original "secret" powder that the 7 mag came loaded from the factory with. Several years later it was released as a canister powder - around '86 or '87 if I recall correctly. Since then several new powders have been released which work well. Nevertheless IMR 7828 would be the first powder I would try and if results are not sat. they would try other powders recommended in the popular reloading manuals. You didn't say what weight bullets you were using but a change in either bullet weight of manufacturer may lead to more satisfying results. Finding the "right load" is part of the satisfaction of handloading. Good luck.

Default JColony and your encore

I am a Encore shooter and hunter too. I had the original and now the pro hunter. My Encore was in 7mm Mag also. I had real good success shooting Winchester 160gr ballistic tips for deer in Mo. but I had to try 10 other brands/gr weight to get to the Win BTs it grouped decent with. I had read several places the oversized hinge pins made alot of difference so I ordered one from Mike Bellm (just one size up).
    I never shot all the rounds of the 10 or so other brands and the sub minute groups at 100yrds from the Win BTs only came after I ordered a oversized hinge pin from Mike Bellm.
    I went back and shot some of the other 10 different rounds for group and compared the new groups to the original group targets and I will admit the oversize pin made alot of difference.
    I would seriously look at getting the pin. Also check out Bellm's Encore page. He has alot of good advice/stuff for the encore.

Rich

I new I forgot something. I'm shooting 160g Accubonds. I love the Accubond, the rounds I've dug out of the ground have had great weight retention. I figure if I'm getting 80% retention into the ground, they should hold together in a critter pretty well.
    Sniper, when you refer to a larger hinge pin, are you referring to the radius? The reason I ask is that the factory pin I have is pretty snug. I have to tap it out with a dowel when I break it down.
    At any rate, thanks for the tips guys. And shphtr, you are absolutely right, finding that "right load" is a lot of fun. Can't wait to do it.

Default Your on the money, but a little off too

I had to do that with mine also on the original pin too. The problem lies with the tolerances. It might need put in and out with a hammer but it might still be just a minute(sp) loose at lock up, the oversized pin takes care of all of that.
    I would like to suggest taking a look at Mike Bellm's web site about encore and decide for your self. I really really like the results I got.
    Oh I think he also explains how to headspace the belted magnums as it pertains to encore's because its a little different than other type actions.

I checked out Mike B's sight the other day. Man, he has a ton of info there! I was feelin a bit overwhelmed, so I had to take a break and go back to read more. After reading up a bit, I'm gonna get a new hinge pin and a spring kit. Try and lighten up the trigger a bit. Thanks for the tips to check out the site. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to make a great gun and dream gun.

Default great and dream gun

The Encore's are fantastic, and T/C warranty is second to none. I Love all things T/C

You and me both! Also have a Black Diamond for all my muzzleloading needs.