Thread: I knew this day would come

Default I knew this day would come

but it still hurts anyway.

I had to put my best friend and loyal companion of 15 years down today. Her name was Harley, a chessie-husky mix. She had mostly chessie traits except for a husky/cat like dislike for deep water, but she went everywhere with me on many adventures. She even went on a goat hunt.

She was an awesome dog; obedient, affectionate and fiercely protective of her family. She started a slow physical decline around 3 years ago but remained vibrant and enthusiastic, until a few weeks ago.

A few days ago her hind end gave out for good. I tended to her but she wouldn't eat and only took a little water. This morning she was so weak I knew I had to face reality. We took her to the vet and at 3:42 she slipped away.

I laid on the floor and held my face to hers as she took her last breath. And I cried. I just hope someday I become the man my dog thought I was.

Thanks for listening
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Unhappy firends

Over the years I too have had to put down family members and it is never easy! Our last one to pass do so in my arms at home, that was several years ago and it still hurts. They never ask for anything more then to be care for and to share their affection.
    Sorry to hear about your lost.

Erik,

I'm very sorry. I know the pain all too well and have an old one near me right now. It will hurt a lot right now, not so much at other times as the weeks and months and years pass on.

Sounds like she sure was a good one, and I'll bet you two had some grand adventures together and enjoyed each other's company a lot. Good for you to be such a good friend to her. You did the right thing, and you did it in as good a way as possible. You were her world, and she appreciates everything you did for her, and with her, but perhaps especially for being near to her when she crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

My sincere condolences.

Jim

Interesting how your thread here announces the passing of a grand old dog, and the thread directly below announces the arrival of a brand new pup. I guess that's life, ever changing, ever moving, with birth and death both a certainty for all living creatures.

A tip of the hat, and a raised glass in salute to Miss Harley for all that she brought into this world and for what she did for all she came in contact with. And another tip of the hat and a raised glass for the arrival of young Paxson along with the hope that its life is full of love and adventure.

Warm regards,

Jim

Erik, sorry for your loss. Its hard to type words that help pass this difficult time but I'm sure if you reflect on the great memories of Harley she'll bring a smile to your face. As you close Harley's Chapter you'll be beginning new Chapter starring the life of Paxson. May the new addition bring a lot of joy and fond memories.

Richie

Richie (and everyone) thanks for the kind words but to be clear Paxon is Hoyt's new pup.

There will be another pup in my future, but I'm going to wait a while.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default I get it Erik...

...I really do. Your words bring back strong memories. Thanks for sharing her with us, even briefly.

Erik,
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very tough right now I'm sure. I'm not super good with this kind of thing, so I'll leave it that. I'll be sure to tip one back for what sounds like a fantastic dog.
    Ryan

From the sounds of it you had one great dog, and she had a great owner. I believe that our dogs are just waiting for us to join them someday with our friends and relatives that have also passed.

If there aren't any dogs in heaven, I want to go where the dogs go.

Erik,
    Sorry for you loss - I can tell you from experience that only time will help the pain.

[QUOTE=
    There will be another pup in my future, but I'm going to wait a while.[/QUOTE]

I understand completely. After my German Shorthair, I havbe not gotten another dog, and that was 15 years ago when I faced your decision. Good dogs hold special places in our hearts. I'm sorry you lost your friend and companin, there's not much else to say.

Default A Mans Best Friend

Eric in AK,

I can completely relate to how you must feel what your going through quite possibly is the toughest things to deal with in this world we live in. You have a tough road ahead of you my friend hopefully you have friends and family there to support you.Harley was a beautiful and as you described her possessed all the wonderful traits of any best friend. Dogs rely solely on the owner to take care of them and for that they will love u unconditionally. A dog is a product of the owner you get out of them what you put into them.You did an exceptional job and she loved you like no other she even climbed a mountain to goat hunting with you thats commitment.Dogs have a special place in my heart mine even sleeps with me and eats ice cream what are friends for right.Hold onto the memories and cherish them as you will always have them.

Sorry for your loss Erik, Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Default tough one

Sorry to hear that. It's a reminder there is a limited number of soft ear "scritches" with our precious friends, so make them all count. I know that day will come for me as well and I know I'll take it very very hard! Everyone should do something special for their partners in crime today in memory of Harley. (mines getting TWO cans of soft food today, a treat normally reserved for thanks giving...)
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Sorry to hear about your loss. I still tear up just thinking about the day I had to take my best friend for his last walk and car ride, hell even if I see another dog that looks similar. He had the dog version of dementia, physically he was fine, he just lost his way and I couldn't watch him walk around looking lost and forgetting things all the time anymore.