Thread: Fortymile Middle Fork from Joseph Airstrip to Taylor Highway Moose Hunt

Eagle River, Alaska, United States, 108264132534659, Eagle River, Alaska

Default Fortymile Middle Fork from Joseph Airstrip to Taylor Highway Moose Hunt

My hunting partner and I will be flying in to Joseph airstrip this fall for a moose float hunt. Because of our slope schedules we decided to do the early resident only hunt from August 24th - 28th. We will be flying in a couple of days before the season start so we can float in a ways. I was wondering if anyone on here has floated that portion of the Fortymile for moose during the early season and if so did you have success? We have also decided for one of us to get a moose permit and the other to get a caribou permit to increase our chances and split the game meat. I've heard many people tend to float past The Kink rapids and hunt from there on to the Taylor...is this the recommended strategy? I know the portage for the Kink is about a 1/2 mile and with two guys, a moose, gear and cataraft it would be quite the chore to portage that amount of stuff although we are definitely willing and able to do so if the first half of the river is good hunting ground. I have read Mike Strahan's book and he does cover the Fortymile, but he doesn't really mention this particular section. The rest of the information I've gathered from the Alaska River Guide, the BLM website and other forum posts on here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Default I've done it

I floated it a few years back during a similar time frame. The better moose hunting in my opinion was before the Kink. After the Kink the river is mainly in a valley without a lot of likely looking moose habitat. We didn't know this ahead of time and only stayed a short time in the area that we thought had moose. Lesson learned and we didn't get a moose. We did get a caribou back at Joseph though and another guy in our group missed an easy opportunity on one later in the float. Hope this helps.

Thanks Lefty. That does help. I can't wait...it's going to be a fun trip.

Lego, that stretch is a tough one to hunt early season. The bulls are certainly above the kink, and your best hunting would be on the ridgelines above the North Fk confluence, but you might consider spending time lining your raft/canoe upstream along Joseph Creek.

Don't expect to see any moose below the kink...the habitat just isn't the best for holding moose. The browsey is lousy

Larry

Thanks Larry. Is Joseph Creek large/deep enough to float in an 18' Leopard? My hunting partner and I talked about lining the boat upstream and hunting that area, but this is our first time in that area and can't find much information on Joseph Creek or the middle fork upstream of Joseph Creek.

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully the Taylor highway will be fixed above mile 95 soon or our hunt plan may have to change.

Joe

Legospam,

I also would recommend staying upriver of the kink as long as you can. Check out a topo map of the area. There is a marshy lowland area about ten miles downriver of Joseph with some sloughs/oxbow lakes etc. There is also some good hills to glass from there. I would recommend hunting there. There is also an old trapper's cabin not too far upstream from the Kink. This would be my second choice for a hunting location. There is a good glassing hill about 1/2 mile behind it. When my partner and I floated it, a large herd of caribou came through that area and we saw some wolves there also. The portage isn't as bad as you think. Especially since you have a cataraft. A cataraft would be an advantage for that portage because the trail through the woods is quite narrow and you would have a hard time carrying a round boat through the trees. But for you, you can take apart your cat and drag your tubes down the trail. We saw very little game after the Kink.

Good luck,
    Bushwhack