Thread: Newbie gets a hit!!

Default Newbie gets a hit!!

I put the wifey on the back of the 4-wheeler this morning and we tookied on up into the hills. It's been three weeks since I set my bait and as of last monday night not a hit. So, I decided that I'd set up another station if I didn't get hit yet. On the way in I spotted some tracks in the mud, yes! finally bear sign! first tracks I've seen. Across the valley from my bait about 3/4 of a mile away. I know where to setup on the way back if I my first bait didn't get hit yet. We motored around the head of the valley, went off trail, lumpity bumped for a mile, parked the quad, hiked in and snuck into my little ground blind tree grove and peered through the brush at the barrel. When I left it monday I could clearly see bait in the barrel hole, now nothing, I GOT HIT!!. We sat a bit but didn't see or hear anything so we filled up again with my sweet honey popcorn, leftover sheet cake with frosting and some other stuff. I spread around some scent balls in the area, sprayed the brush down with Anise along with some foam rubber sponges in a couple trees and also poured some grease around the barrel. Then it happened, I turned around and there was the wifey, dropping her drawers, "marking her spot" right there behind the bait barrel tree I hollered, I think she fell in the moss, apologized, stood up and got her britches back on. I sprayed it down with anise and dropped a few blueberry balls on it. The ground that is!

The area was not all torn up, I couldn't find any major clumps of hair, just a few little ones on the barrel hole opening. They looked black or blackish brown but hard to tell. I didn't see anything to indicate for sure it was a griz so I'm pretty confident it was a blackie.

Time to go sit on the bait. I think I'll head up this evening and sit to the wee hours, drink coffee and see what happens. Might not be able to make it back until tomorrow night though.

Wish me luck, this it too cool! I got a hit! I got a hit!

Congrates on the hit!
    i may be wrong here but I have never had a issue peeing near my bait station. The day I set it up I usually will have to pee and im not hiking for some relief. For me this hasn't caused any problems, anyone else?

Go get em Perry!

Default Pee away!

I try not to pee there, but if it is necessary, then it happens. I'm not going to make the kids walk that far away!

Congrats Perry! Now go get em!
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Thanks for the encouragement. I wasn't too freaked about the wifey doing what she needed to do. I just figured it'd make for a good laugh It seemed funny at the time. Here we are spreading all the sweet smell of anise, blueberry gel trail balls and other assorted treats and then BAM there she goes!

It looks like It'll be tomorrow night before can get back out. We have plans with some folks tomorrow morning so I can't sit on the bait all night and perhaps get one and get home in the wee wee hours and make it tomorrow. No worries though. I'm pretty stoked.

Thanks for all the help from everyone around here.

Unhappy

We had a hit as well, by a quill pig I think.
    Paul

Go get him!!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Bisley hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Bisley hunter?
    Yup, that's what I'm packing. Stuffed with 355gr Hammers at 1200fps to hit back with My ground blind area is 23 yds from the bait. I can hit a 6 inch metal target six out of six at 50yds kneeling, resting my elbow on my knee so I'm feeling pretty confident.

It looks like it will be tomorrow night before I can get back out. We had made plans with another couple to go hiking today so we did and had a great day. Hiked up in the mtns outside Healy. Saw 7 Dall sheep including one banana ram! Got me all worked up for sheep hunting!! By the time we got home it was late and I was wiped. Tomorrow will be a lazy day, nap in the afternoon and head out to the bait in the evening for an all nighter.