Thread: Rear wheel cassette...

Default Rear wheel cassette...

is frozen solid...any ideas where I can get a good casseette socket tool to remove it & replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    is frozen solid...any ideas where I can get a good casseette socket tool to remove it & replace it?
    I would check your hub. If the cassette is locked up, it is probably the freewheel hub and not the cassette. The cassette is just mounted onto the hub and doesn't have any moving parts. Sometimes it only takes a couple of allen wrenches in each side of the wheel to loosen up and pull out the hub to check it, but others take special tools. If you aren't familiar with this kind of stuff yourself, it is probably something you want to get to a bike shop or find someone near you who has the experience.

Good luck.

Default Hub was...

rusted solid! I poured oil on it & let it soak in 2 days straight, & then pounded it free! WHEW!

& my bikes been sittin' out in the elements for 4 years straight! (cheap $120 Motiv from Sam's) & it STILL shifts perfectly & the brakes are STILL working! The frame is solid & the only issue is the fork is bent from whem my daughter crashed or someone ran it over...I tried bending it back to no avail...I'll see 'bout buyin' a new one but there are forks that cost more than the bike is worth...