Thread: Bear count on the Kenai Peninsula

Default Bear count on the Kenai Peninsula

I received an email today from the Wildlife Refuge that says they are going to do a brown bear survey this summer on the Kenai Peninsula. I bet they come up with more than 300 for a number.

Default yeah

i have seen more brown bears on the kenai in the last 5 years than the previous 15 years before that. almost every trail i have been on, we spot them where before they used to be absent or at least no sign of them. maybe they will give out a few more permits....

is there a way we could help them

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    I received an email today from the Wildlife Refuge that says they are going to do a brown bear survey this summer on the Kenai Peninsula. I bet they come up with more than 300 for a number.
    Casper, I called there Bio last week to get instructions for collecting hair samples for DNA that they would like. When I told him of all the browns that have been hitting our bait his reply was Oh good. I heard that ADFG is also wanting hair samples in hopes of maybe giving out more permits. I would bet that baiters could collect more samples than they would. I just hope the info they get works to allow more Browns to be havested.

Default bears

Be careful with how much help your willing to lend, The results can mean anything they waqnt it it to mean. Remember the refuge isnt real fond of us baiting there.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Be careful with how much help your willing to lend, The results can mean anything they waqnt it it to mean. Remember the refuge isnt real fond of us baiting there.
    My thoughts exactly. I think the info would be in better hands with ADFG biologist. I have not turned in any samples to either.

Default bears

Well said gunnysack my thoughs exactly.

Default 900

I bet they find triple that estimate, the problem is the biologists around here are in such denial that more brown bears are around right now. I've heard people flying over bear creek on the Tustumena ridge and seeing 60 bears on just one stream, and they're not even seeing them all, probably close to 100 bears on bear creek in the summer, no wonder there is no moose left on the Tustumena Ridge.

Default bears

In a 2 mile hike up bear creek while doing an escapement survey for f&G I saw 16 browns