Thread: 350 Rem Mag w/ 225 Nosler Accubond

Default 350 Rem Mag w/ 225 Nosler Accubond

Anyone had any luck loading the 225 Accubond in the 350 Rem Mag? The shape of the ogive won't allow me to seat deep enough to meet OAL requirements. Can't chamber or fit in the magazine. This is for a Rem 600 Mohawk.

Cut the tip off, or pull it out.

I managed to get some barely deep enough to work in a Ruger M-77MKII magazine, which is longer than your Remington. Even then I had to roll crimp the case mouth way over because of the huge gap. They were very accurate but not very fast for the weight.

The Kodiak bonded 225s worked much better.

In the end I went to the 275 grain Kodiak Bonded.... Not too fast, but they have the big whammy....

Also see http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=72131

had previously managed to get some old 275 grain Barnes bullets to work, but they have not made those for years.

So I bought some 275 grain KODIAK BONDED BULLETS. They have a flatter point and they do not taper so fast. SO I had to seat them deeper.
    At first they were all over the place.... BUT TODAY

350 Remington Mag. Ruger M77MKII Stainless
    275 (276.4 actual) grain Kodiak Bonded
    56.5 grains RL-15
    Remington Virgin Brass
    Winchester Large Rifle MAGNUM primer
    2.800 COL, No Crimp

Temp 20 F, 15kts wind
    100 yards.

MV= 2,450 fps and a 0.75 inch group. super clean brass, moderate pressure

Also tried some WLR standard primers.
    MV= 2,400 fps and a 2.0 inch group.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks, Float Pilot,

I hoped you might post here, knowing how much you've done with this caliber. I'm working with some 225 Partitions too. The 225 TSX shot well, but I had one go through a kudu without deforming a bit - found on the backside hide. Thankfully hit the spine, so I had success, but the bullet certainly didn't do what I expected. Perhaps the bullet is designed for more velocity.

I'll follow back some of the 350 RM threads, but wondered if I was the only one flailing with the Accubonds, as I love them in other calibers.

Chris

I also tried the rubber tipped leverolution type bullets, but I had them going so fast that they fly apart when they hit anything within 100 yards.

Have either of you tried the Speer 220 FN in the 350?

It may be too lightly constructed for those velocities, but it's been a stone killer for me out of the 358 Win, the 35 Rem and the 357 Herret.

I shot a 358 Norma a bunch back in the days before Partitions came in 35 cal, but the only game I took was an elk at about 300 yards. Through and through with a good wound channel, but I can't guess what would have happened lots closer.

For the 220 grain Speer almost flat soft point.
    Loaded to 2.800 col
    63.0gr RL-15 = 2,845 fps and a 0.75 inch group
    60.0gr BLC2 = 2,557 fps and a 2.25 inch group
    62.0gr BLC2 = 2,700 fps and a HUGE group with high pressure signs.
    58.0gr H4895= 2,755 fps and a 1.75in group
    62.0gr RL-15= 2,807 fps and a 0.30 inch group (loaded to 2.750 col) Fed 215

The 200 grain 35 caliber FTX flex tips are only designed for impact velocities around 2,500-2,600 fps at max. I used 58.0 grains of RL-10x and got 3,000 fps... Yeah-Ha...

For the 225 grain Nosler Accubonds, I tried loading them at 2.850 with a huge roll crimp.
    I used 51.0 grains of Benchmark and got 2,460 fps and a 0.50 inch group.
    I also tried 62.0 grains of RL-15. That gave me 2,780 fps and a group under an inch. But they do not load very well from the Ruger Mag and would be too long for a Remington short action...

The 200 grain Barnes Triple Shocks can be pushed to 2,901 fps with 57.5 grains of RL-10x, (2.778 col) and I got a 1.0 inch group... But I have never hit any game critters with the triple shock....

I also had some 200 grain Hornady (I think) round nose bullets that somebody gave me. I pushed those to over 3,000 (51.0 grains RL-7) and they would do a 1.75 inch group on a good day.

The 225 grain Sierra game King is very accurate when loaded up to 2,829 fps (62.0 grains RL-15) but I do not know how well it would do on tough boned game critters.

The 225 grain Kodiak Bonded do well on critters,,, but they are not as accurate, The best I have done with them is a 1.65 inch group.

The Hornady 250 grain bullets seem to not work very well in my rifle. I have tried pushing them to 2,700 fps and nothing good came of it. If I leave them around 2,530 to 2,550 fps I can obtain groups around 1.0 inch. Either round nose or spitzer, it does not seem to matter with my rifle... Most bullets in this weight range give me huge groups...

The ONLY 250 grain load that shoots well in my Ruger is a Hornady 250 grain Round Nose with 56.0 grains of H-4895, a Fed 215 primer, Rem Brass and a 2.785 col and a roll crimp. It will do a 0.75 inch group and pushes them along at 2,535 fps.

The 275 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets at 2,450 fps gave me a 1.0 inch group, (56.5 grains RL-15 and a WW mag primer loaded to 2.800 col)
    But they have a trajectory like a rainbow....

What about the 250gr Speer? I am loading that to 2575 out of my 35 Whelen and it is very accurate. I haven't put it into meat yet, but I would think at those speeds, it would do really well. Float, have you ever tried that bullet. I would think it would be okay in length for the 350RM also. Scotty
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The 275 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets at 2,450 fps gave me a 1.0 inch group, (56.5 grains RL-15 and a WW mag primer loaded to 2.800 col)
    But they have a trajectory like a rainbow....
    Right up till you wrote that, I was convincing myself that your twist rate was too slow for anything over 225. Dang. You've got me scratching another bald spot on this old head.

And I'll second Beretz's question about the Speer 250. That was my go-to bullet in the 358 Norma.

1. The twist rate on the Stainless All Weather Ruger M77MKIIs was tighter
    (1 in 12) than the blued Ruger's which were 1 in 14 or 16. So it will stabilize the 275s. I doubt that the blued Rugers will... I just checked the Ruger web site and did not see any 350 rem Mag rifles listed there...
    I also just checked the Remington Site which was confusing... They listed a 1 in 10 twist and a 1 in 16 twist in the 350 Rem mag. Remember it is the overall lengtrh of the bullet and not the weight.... I think the 275 grain Barnes and 275 grain Kodiaks are a touch shorter than the 225 grain Accubond.

This post should still have a pic of a group using old 275 grains Barnes originals.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=73595

2. Yes I have used the 250 grain Speer bullets. I recently ran out of them.
    I used to use them exclusively in my old 358 Norma Mag. I think they were a little more accurate than the Hornady bullets. I have taken a couple moose with those bullets using the 358 Norma. They worked just fine, but should note that one was at 200 yards and the other at 310 yards. So the bullets was going a lot slower.

The 350 Remington Mag is held back by short magazine box length.
    I would love to re-barrel an intermediate length Mauser (Yugo M48 size) action to 350 RM.
    It would allow us to seat the bullet further out and give us more powder room.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The 350 Remington Mag is held back by short magazine box length.
    I would love to re-barrel an intermediate length Mauser (Yugo M48 size) action to 350 RM.
    It would allow us to seat the bullet further out and give us more powder room.
    I don't know if its held back or not, a 225 Gr Nosler Part. @ ~2700FPS seems like pretty good medicine to me If a feller wants to have a longer bullet, why not just go with the Whelen? Theres a lot to be said for the short action.
    Anyone using Rem mag primers for the 350RM?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.