Thread: chev 350 rebuilding to a 383 stroker

Default chev 350 rebuilding to a 383 stroker

Hi All, has anyone rebuilt a chevy 350 and used a 383 stroker kit?
    Just curious as how much more HP it will make?
    I have looked at several stroker kits and it looks the forged crank and pistons are best?
    Any thoughts...ideas?
    Thanks

Definitely forged crank and pistons if you're going that route.
    Paul

I am guessing that to obtain the HP around 400 i want i will need a different intake, different cam, anyone in Alaska selling a 383 stroker engine?
    Its the ****s here in the Yukon when it comes to buying, and finding the parts, so doing alot of online searching..........

FPS,

I just spent the last two days bolting my 383 stroker together. I have a thread on this and will update it as soon as I get the engine in my boat and running.

ADB machine in Anchorage can build your 383. They helped me with a few things I needed for my motor. I bought a long block from US Engines out of Seattle. Ordered it two weeks ago and received it in less than a week. $175 shipping. I chose the 360hp vs. 410hp. The 360hp burns regular. The 410hp burns premium and I think is more of a toy. I'll post my results when I get it installed and running.

You'll probably need to bump up a size on the impeller. I sold my Hamilton 2.4 and bought a 3.4.

Quote Originally Posted by For Pete Sake View Post
    Hi All, has anyone rebuilt a chevy 350 and used a 383 stroker kit?
    Just curious as how much more HP it will make?
    I have looked at several stroker kits and it looks the forged crank and pistons are best?
    Any thoughts...ideas?
    Thanks
    A couple of things to consider when talking forged pistons and engine builders.

Marine engines run at high rpms always. A good analogy is our marine motors are always running uphill.

Next forged pistons are designed to work under high heat applications, supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous oxide. With this in mind engine builders tend to leave the clearances larger to allow for the expansion. As a matter of fact most piston manufacturers take this in to consideration during their processes. Marine engines tend to run allot cooler then required for proper seating of these components.

High lift cams are not necessary and will make your valve train short lived. Roller components help but make sure things match.

Last be very careful and IMO do not use a high volume oil pump even with a larger oil pan. You stand a very good chance of starving the engine for oil. The engine requires work to help the oil return to the pan.

Last but not least when building an engine you want to build an engine with the most amount of torque in the preferred rpm band that you will be operating your boat at.

Taking all into consideration yes you can build or get a killer engine for any application, but just make sure you are applying it to the right application. With this mind and in the spirit of the Indy 500 we would not want to use a 900 bhp formula 1 20,000 rpm engine in our boats but I bet in would be a hoot to try if we had the money and time.

I just spent the last two days bolting my 383 stroker together. I have a thread on this and will update it as soon as I get the engine in my boat and running.

Great!! would be great to know how you make out with the 383........the 350 I currently am running is only 310 hp but would like to move up to a 383 stroker.