Thread: Halibut from shore ??

Default Halibut from shore ??

Any ideas where I would have a good oportunuty to catch any from shore ?? from soldotna to homer

I know a couple of guys who have caught halibut near the mouth of the Kasilof in the last two weeks.....nothing bigger than about 30 lbs but hey....lots of fun anyway. Using herring or hooligan, tossing out just past the drop off and letting them soak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert2968 View Post
    Any ideas where I would have a good oportunuty to catch any from shore ?? from soldotna to homer
    Try the Whiskey Gulch access road just north of Anchor Point. You can drive right down to the beach there. If I were going to try it I'd wait for a really extreme high tide and fish about an hour or two before till an hour or two after. The beach there is really steep close in and then shallow the further out you go, so at low tide it stays really shallow quite a ways out. At high it gets deep pretty quickly and then shallows out. In my experience fish come in close to feed on bait fish getting stirred up in close and you might have a pretty good chance of catching a halibut or two then. I think there's another thread here not too long ago where "Cod" talks about his shore fishing exploits and has a picture of himself with a couple of butt and a king. Which reminds me, you could catch a king, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default Thanks

I will be coming up from florida on the 11th .I hope to give this a try .All i want is 20-30 lb hlibut anyway .sOME OF THE BEST EATING agian thank you

Maybe rent a little skiff and go out a little ways.

I will be coming up from florida on the 11th .I hope to give this a try .All i want is 20-30 lb hlibut anyway .sOME OF THE BEST EATING agian thank you

Maybe rent a little skiff and go out a little ways.
    You could do that (rent a skiff) possibly, but it's pretty tricky trying to launch off the beach. It can be done and a lot of people do it, but if there's any surf when you're launching or coming back in you can easily get swamped. It's not for the feint of heart unless it's a beautiful water day.

Default yep

I know what you mean about launching in the surf.About 5 years ago we went on a kingfish tourny in fernanda beach fla.When we went out the weather was great but it turned and when we came backinto the inlet we were in 12-18 ft waves .Ended up riding them in like a surfboard

I know what you mean about launching in the surf.About 5 years ago we went on a kingfish tourny in fernanda beach fla.When we went out the weather was great but it turned and when we came backinto the inlet we were in 12-18 ft waves .Ended up riding them in like a surfboard
    And the problem with Anchor is that you don't "ride" the waves in. They come in and then break violently. That's why it is VERY dangerous.

Robert,

Here is an excellent thread written by Matt almost 4 years ago:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...t=homer+alaska

JT

Default Thank You

I enjoyed that thread very much.And learned alot from it .agian Thank You