Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any truly leak proof Goretex boots???

Question Any truly leak proof Goretex boots???

OK, so are there any dependable brands of boots that have Goretex like liners that won't leak? This is my experience and I am so steamed!!!!

Rocky: Complete Garbage, all the boots from them have leaked.
    Gander Mountain $180 Scentlock knee boots: Got 2 pairs on clearance, did test in water bucket and they failed miserably NEW!!!!
    Lacrosse: Leaked today, going back, only 6 months old....barely used...
    Browning: Chinese boots, leaked......had the Snake Boots
    Sportsman's Guide: Everything that was 100% waterproof was not EVER
    Wolverine: So far most dependable of the lot, a couple years old and a small leak now.....

So far the only 100% waterproof boots I have ever had are rubber boots, which also are easily repairable. They are not fun to walk long distances with, even the Lacrosse Alpha Burly's that I have. So are there ANY boots other than rubber boots, that are waterproof???? I like the higher boots for swampy hiking/hunting, so that is why I tried the whole gauntlet of "waterproof" lace up snake boots also, from all companies. Thanks!

Default I know what you mean

I went through the same thing years ago. I bought a pair of "waterproof" boots from Cabela's. I don't remember the brand but they were well known. Was in Arizona at the time. We were archery hunting javelina and new out of the box, less than a mile from the truck, walking through wet grass my feet were wet. I was royally tissed. So I sent them back for another pair, put those on in the tub, filled with water in about 2 minutes. Sent them back and got a totally different brand/style. Took them out of the box and stood in the tub, filled with water in a matter of minutes. I was on a crusade at this point, I ended up ordering a pair of Cabela's brand hunting boots and they lasted about 20 minutes before any water got in. I called Gortex and spoke to one of their lab geeks. She told me that gortex "is" waterproof, it's how the manufacturers put their boots together. If they don't follow their guidance then they can leak. I tried to tell her consumers don't care "how" the boots are put together, they're going to think gortex isn't any good. To make a long story shorter, without endorsing a brand because she couldn't do that, she hinted several times that I should try Danner. Problem is I have never put on a pair of Danners that fit my foot right. I'm afraid you are probably going to be disappointed in your boot hunt or spend a couple of grand by the time you find something. But if you do, please share...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Any goretex boot should be waterproof when new. If not, the seams weren't put together well. Problem is, there's really too much dirt, flex, and abrasion going on in a boot to keep them waterproof for long. Goretex is fairly fragile stuff really. Mid and heavy weight goretex boots were pretty much considered a joke when I sold shoes at an outdoor store. Ironically, it makes more sense for runners and light hiking shoes which are hard to waterproof otherwise and have a shorter lifespan than heavy boots. For the heavy stuff, the closest you'll get to waterproof is 1-piece leather, with a frequent coat of wax. And in Alaska, the closest you'll get to comfort is bringing along a lot of socks...

My danners are pretty good. I haven't dunked them in a tub of water, but I did several stream crossings and mud sloggings last week with no problems.

Unfortunately, if a boot has seams, it is not truly waterproof. I hunt in Xtratufs, and deal with the discomfort. It really depends on the terrain. If slogging through water is not involved, just about any full-grain leather high top boot with a gusseted tongue and a coat of mink oil will do. I've had $30 boots from Wal Mart that were awesome.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Bought a pair of Kayland boots last year-waterproofed w/ eVent. So far so good-no leaks. Taken them on a moose hunt and frequent creek crossing. However like any "waterproof" boot foot perspiration is an issue. Regarding maintainence I have heard that eVent pores do clog and therefore boot needs occassional rinsing. Good luck

Default Danner

I've had a pair of Danner's for almost 7 years and they just started leaking this past spring. I expect a trip to Danner for a rebuild (They look pretty nasty) should have them working like new again

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I love my Danners! I have heard from a few people though that they can be hit or miss. One pair is perfect the next not so perfect. I have two pair and they hold up good.
    I was in whittier and had to get to shore in just below knee deep water. I was wearing rivers west pants and put small bungees around the ankle. I jumped in the water and walked to shore with no leaks.
    Can you really send a pair of Danners back to them after a few years use if they leak? If that is the case I will never buy anything else!

I have a pair of Asolo boots that were absolutely waterproof...I've stood in the water fishing for hours without a drop of water getting in....they didn't start leaking until I chopped a good size hole in my foot with a hatchet while wearing them ....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am going to jump in with the rest of the Danner guys here... as i wear them year round and wear them out every year due ot my bad foot and gate.... i can say i stay dry in them... just spent two weekends in a row jumping in and out of the boat on the yukon and never got wet.. the only time they do is when i stand with water coming over the top...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

my kennetreks are not what I hoped in the mountains but they are waterproof. I have stood in a river clearing out a jet foot and spent whole days tromping around in swamps with no leaks after two seasons.

I checked out Danners website and they have a full on restoration shop. They have different packages depending on what you need.

If you use your Danners much, they'll usually leak w/in a year or two. I've worn out several pairs through the years. I just had a pair (Rainforest model) rebuilt with new goretex last fall. They came back with a slightly different fit (but I changed sole type so this may have had something to do with that - and they failed to crimp one of the eyelets so it fell out). Otherwise I was impressed with the rebuild, and they're still working great! I still remember my first pair of goretex danner boots - took them out and walked right up the middle of a creek w/out getting soaked! Wow!

My Danners are on their third year and still waterproof. They're looking pretty rough and the tread is nearly gone so they're gonna get a rebuild this summer. The only wet feet I've got came over the top.

Be aware- you can get "Danners" made in America and "Danners" made in China. If I'm not mistaken only the US built ones are rebuildable.

I'd buy another pair in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Be aware- you can get "Danners" made in America and "Danners" made in China. If I'm not mistaken only the US built ones are rebuildable.
    How do you tell the difference?

I have had my alaska mendels for 6 years and have not leaked yet. Great boots.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    How do you tell the difference?
    The made in US ones have an American flag on a label that shows, they also typically have a heftier price tag as well. I think the GTX series boots are the ones made in China (a couple of years ago anyhow). A search on their website will turn up the current US boots vs whatever else they import.

Thumbs down

OK so I got my replacement LaCrosse boots and walked through wet grass and they leaked too!!!!!! The water never leaked over the top, and the left boot in the toe area was the leaker. They are picking up the tab on this next round of replacements. Sadly I discovered that Danner is a sister company of LaCrosse so I am hesitant to try them at some point, along with the price! Fingers crossed on the next replacements, in 2 weeks or so I shall know....

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The made in US ones have an American flag on a label that shows, they also typically have a heftier price tag as well. I think the GTX series boots are the ones made in China (a couple of years ago anyhow). A search on their website will turn up the current US boots vs whatever else they import.
    Thanks, I checked out the site and apparently mine aren't made in the US.

If you look at the site they do not have to be US made boots, they only have to have sole-top stitching. (I.E. sole is stitched on and thus removable). I'd check they're website before you despair too much.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast