Thread: help

Default help

Okay I was on the river today and my engine was sputtering like it was starving for fuel.
    things i did - loosened fuel cap breather and it ran good for a bit, then it started acting up again, took fuel cap off and it ran good for a bit more and then finally i pumped primer ball and it ran good. i had to do it a few times and it got me to the boat ramp.
    it is a yamaha 2 stroke 70 horse 2009, I am fairly sure it is something simple.

any insight would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Okay I was on the river today and my engine was sputtering like it was starving for fuel.
    things i did - loosened fuel cap breather and it ran good for a bit, then it started acting up again, took fuel cap off and it ran good for a bit more and then finally i pumped primer ball and it ran good. i had to do it a few times and it got me to the boat ramp.
    it is a yamaha 2 stroke 70 horse 2009, I am fairly sure it is something simple.

any insight would be greatly appreciated

Before you get serious and tear into anything, check all your fuel filters and water separators. It could just be they are clogged up from bad gas or a dirty tank on your boat. Then, check all hose clamps on your fuel line very carefully. Even a tiny leak can cause exactly what is happening with your boat. After that, check and make sure your fuel pump is actually pumping gas. Obviously a bad pump can cause this problem too. Finally, and while I hate to even say it, how did you store your boat last winter? Did you drain the carbs? Did you put stabilizer in the tank? If not, well there could be gremlins floating around in your carbs causing the needle and seat on your float to not operate correctly which will also cause exactly what you described. If that is the case you will have to drain (mabe multiple times) the bowls on your carbs and hope whatever is in there works itself out. If it doesn't then you have to tear apart the carbs and clean up the gunk.....It sucks. Let's us know what you find, and let's hope it is something quick and easy

Pilot1995

Default Fuel Line Connectors?

My old 95 Johnson has done something similiar in a few times over the years. Turned out the o-ring that fits on the fuel tank or motor were bad. Best I can figure it was getting air. Like you, priming the bulb made it run good. I replaced the fuel line assembly and it ran good. I also carry a new end fitting now. Not sure if how Yamaha connectors are built but maybe this will help.

Good luck...

you should try either trading that piece of **** in for a canoe, or quit letting your chubby hunting buddy onboard!! let me know how things work out for ya!

I remember a similar issue on buddy's boat a while back. The engine was starving for fuel for no apparent reason. Turned out he got a wrong fuel connector for the fuel line, it looks similar to Yamaha's and would actually attach, but wouldn't allow the fuel to run freely I guess. What was weird that it worked fine for a while and then started acting up. Changed the fuel connector and all was fine after that.

As others have noted, checking the connectors is always a good idea and nice place to start.

I would go beyond just checking the fuel filters, and just change them all out. It is good preventative maintainence anyways. Even if you did it this in the spring, they could be clogged quickly of you got some bad fuel.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded