Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike Fishing near Fairbanks

Default Pike Fishing near Fairbanks

So, the wife and I found a great deal on a sixteen foot scanoe last weekend. Have taken it out two times on lakes near Fairbanks. First time out, didn't get so much as a nibble. Took it out last night, and my son and I caught three pike. Needless to say the boy caught two and I caught one. The two my son caught were 19 inches and 15 inches. Are these good size?

Um... no. We start talking 30" that is a nice fish. 40 is the holy grail.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

got a 37 inch last weekend in a private pond would love to share it but its at my bosses house and i dont think shed want a bunch of people there

but some public areas you can get into is lakeview has some pike in it i have gotten quite a few out of there and there is a small pond located on farmal road in north pole that has mosly little ones but ive got a few large ones as well they are always hungry

im sure other can give you better spots then those though i am spoiled and just fish them at my bosses place

Default First time Pike Fishing

Pike Palace, Thanks for the info about the size. I have never been Pike fishing before. Last night was the first time we had caught any. I posted a thread a while back asking what to use. Last night we were using some yellow wiggle lures. They were hitting hard on them. We tried everything from frogs to mini rainbow lures. They seemed to really like the yellow.
    Anticipation, Thanks for the other spots. I am still new to using a boat, so I am still hesitant to steer to far from home and where I know I am allowed to use one. As time goes on, I am sure I will read up more on the regs and venture further away.
    On a side note, my son was real happy with the size of the 19 incher. It is the biggest fish he has ever caught. I am sure we will land a few bigger ones.

You might want to look at the reg's Pike fishing is closed in the Tanana river drainage flowing and lakes. It opens June 1
    Tim

Default Fishing on military lands

MIT, thanks for the advice. I have been fishing on military lands. I keep meaning to get to the natural resourc office here on base to make sure I am good to go. I will be sure to make it there on tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    You might want to look at the reg's Pike fishing is closed in the Tanana river drainage flowing and lakes. It opens June 1
    Lakes are June 1st, flowing waters are Jan1- Dec31st. Ive been meaning to ask if it applies to lakes where they are illegally placed?i.e bathing beauty

I don't think it matters...pike are pike.....the dates are set. Military lands or not...meaning eielson is off limits also for another couple of days, pretty cut and dry.

Northern pike fishing season:
    In
    • flowing waters of the Tanana River drainage, excluding the Tolovana River drainage, the open season for northern pike fishing is January 1–December 31.
    In
    • lakes of the Tanana River drainage, excluding Harding Lake and lakes in the Tolovana River drainage, the open season for northern pike is June 1–April 20.
    See the special regulations for northern pike fishing seasons in the Tolovana River • drainage, including Minto Flats, Goldstream Creek, and Chatanika River.

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    Lakes are June 1st, flowing waters are Jan1- Dec31st. Ive been meaning to ask if it applies to lakes where they are illegally placed?i.e bathing beauty
    Correct I didn't write it correctly.
    Tim

Default Correct

TradBow, I see what you are talking about with military lands or not. We weren't purposelly fishing just for Pike. We were out just fishing and breaking in the new boat.

well on private lakes i dont think the regs apply right?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
    Good Question??? Also wonder how that applies to Native Corp Private Lands???
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Good Question??? Also wonder how that applies to Native Corp Private Lands???

not sure about native lands but on your own land i would think you own the fish so you could do whatever you want, but then again if a moose walks onto your land you cant just shoot it whenever so who knows

it's like playing with fire...you might get burned....heck cant you wait a couple more days?

I dont carry rigs that could be considered non game (or out of season if you will) species.....could they fine you for having the gear for an out of season species though you say had a small spinner on? My answer to it is, why put yourself in that position, just my standpoint, why chance it. If you caught more then A pike.....you're likely playing with fire considering there isnt much in any of the eielson pond lakes other then rainbows and char to be throwing gear at to be consistently catching pike...though crazier things have happened lol!

I'm definatly not judging...just stating my opinion on playing with fire, I work (occupationally) with it daily and it burns me to often to count.. you think I'd learn and find a new job....nope LOL!

The fish and game belong to the state no matter who owns the property.
    Tim

i only catch and release non saltwater non salmon fish anyhow just was wondering

I hate to say it anticipation but even just the motion of fishing for them, whether you catch them or not could be and probably would be fineable....it doesnt specify catch and release before a certain date....so it's either open or closed....kinda like the post office I can never get to in time.....ugg!

Certain lakes/ponds on eielson 15-19in pike are good catches. These lakes are small and fished clean. I have seen one 30in pike caught at mullens pit but havent seen or heard of another one caught even close to that. I make sure that i follow the hook rules(size, treble hook or single hook, barb or barb less) I do not worry about whether the lure is targeted at a certain species. If I get a ticket for having a certain lure in my tackle box that "targets" a certain species, heck I would just pay the fine and complain about it in a post.

Quote Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
    Wrong, private or not state regulations apply, unless you are rural subsistence qualified then federal subsistence regulations take precedent.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

that works too Mike LOL! You'll never hear me complaining about being fined for something like this.....I'll never put myself in the position to even be asked "so what are those for lol"..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast