Thread: New acquisition....HELP!

Default New acquisition....HELP!

Okay, I've really got my choices narrowed quite a bit, but would like some opinions....
    Last weekend I picked up a standard length/bolt Montana action for what I figured was REALLY friendly price. I've also got a 'cosmetically challenged' 1949 dated Model 70 .30-06 barrel, and I'm toying with the idea of putting that barrel onto the Montana action, mostly because I like the profile, and it IS a beautiful bore.
    Not likely I'll go down this road again, though, so I don't want to screw this project up and have to do 'overs' later on with it.
    I'm doubled up on full length cartridges in .25, .264, .270, 7mm, .30 and .358 bores. Would I really be nuts to build this up as a .338-06, or spring for opening the bolt face up and just going for the gusto and making it a .338 from the git-go?

I would suspect that reboring the barrel to .338 and rechambering and the gunsmithing charges would be more money than you cared to spend. Reboring a barrel is almost a lost art and very few do it anymore. I would start with a 338 barrel if it were me.
    Tennessee

Default Sorry,

If I mount the pre-64 M70 barrel, it'll stay an '06. If I go with a .338 bore, it'll be a new barrel......

So are you thinking about possibly a 30-338 then (338 case necked down to 30 cal)?
    I would say it depends a bit on what you want to hunt with the gun.
    All around gun the 30-338 would be great.
    Gun primarily for big bears I'd go 338 or greater. Good chance I'd go .35 Wheelen AI & leave the bolt face as is.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default .308 Norma

If you neck a .338 down to a .30 cal you have a .308 Norma. Seems like that would be the easiest. Good caliber and decent balistics. I have a Schultz and Larson in a .308 my dad bought in the early 60's and gave to me, nice gun.

Smile Barrel

What is the bolt face of the Montana Action? That might have to be altered as well as the feed rails. It would depend on the caliber this action was built for.

Default Bolt face...

This one's set up for standard .473 (.30-06) rim diameter.
    Don't really want to open up either the bolt face or the rails. If I had to do that, I'd just order the action I need from them.
    Most likely this one is going to end up either .35 Whelen or .30-06. More saleable down the road if I don't like it that way.

Smile Reread your question

If you decide to open the bolt face the world of cartridges also opens up. The choices are limitless, but on a standard magnum case such as the 338 WM; the best candidates might be 338WM, 375 Taylor and 416 Taylor. All are easy to load and brass is readily available.

Smile .473

If you want to keep a standard .473 bolt face, the 338-06 or a 35 Whelen are your most likely choices. BOTH are very adequate rounds for general use. There is also a .375 Scoville-Hawk available,it's a 375 on a 30-06 case slighty blown out. It produces power close to a 9.3x64 B.
    But in any case build the rifle YOU want.

Lightbulb Don't break up that '49er

Keep in mind that old barrels were not made to the CNC specs of today's barrels.

also mounting a barrel is going to be anywhere from 170.00 to 250.00 so with that in mind why not spend another 80 to 150.00 on a new Adams & Bennet barrel in the exact caliber, barrel contour and length you want. Other choices in new barrels like Douglas, Hart, Shilen and many more are out there too in all grades and as much money as you want to spend.

There is a lot of info needed when mounting a barrel to an action so call a local gunsmith and talk about options.

The point is you are going to have a lot of money invested by the time that action becomes a shootiní iron. The pre '64 Mod can be bead blasted and re-blued and will be a 1000.00 + piece when complete so I do not recommend cannibalizing it for the barrel.

Pricing, shopping, comparing options for barrels, calibers and the like can be as much fun as shooting it so if you are not in a hurry, do some research on availability and see what you want your action to become.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default Apparently,...

I've decided to put the pre-64 M70 .30-06 barrel on the receiver, after modifying the breech to fit the internal ring of the Montana action, and make it a flat breech. That'll entail moving the shoulder forward a mite on the barrel, and a bit of tricky machine work to get it to line up so the sights index correctly, then rechamber. Still, a local gunsmith has quoted me $100.00 out the door for the job. He's done work for me before, and when I can catch him sober, he does outstanding work. When drunk, his work is merely marvelous....when I acquired the barrel, I slugged it, and it's still right on the money, no wear, no pits, good crown and throat, straight as a laser beam. Fella I got it from pulled the barrel from his model 70 years ago to make some wildcat, then got rid of t he rifle, which orphaned the barrel.
    As to finish, I figure to have all the metalwork Parkerized. Friend in Denver does the 'green' Park that you see on War II finished M1's and 03's.
    Stock is going to be an experiment. I'm going to take a walnut blank, rip it lengthwise into strips, plane the pieces, then epoxy it back together under pressure for a walnut on walnut laminate.
    This one might take a good long while to finish, maybe I'll have it done by the time I retire in two years.......
    Thanks for all your help and input!

Thumbs up Good Luck

Hope it turns out on wood and steel the way you see in your vision, sounds good to me.