Thread: floating clear water

Default floating clear water

i just picked up a one man pontoon boat. and was wondering if a guy could get away useing one of these in clearwater.i have heard the grayling fishing up there is some of the best around. Iam not sure if this is a alaskan rageing river or a lazy creek. if so where would be a good put in and take out point i would like to do a day trip. thank you for any help

Default fairbanks area

also if anyone has any advice on any other creeks around fairbanks for doing a float trip that would be good too thanks again

do you have any experience rowing? if you have mon, tues or weds off this summer i can show you around a bit, upper chena is my home waters and always looking for a partner. probably floating and camping on the chena sunday

you could do clearwater from the campground to clearwater lake....realize this you'll have a mile or two in the tannana. It's really not a bad float the few times we've done it. The fishing is much better on the upper end (and even farther UP river). There is some flow coming out of the lake into the tannana so you'll have to paddle a bit to get into the lake.

As for the chena, you could float it, though I think you'd be working to hard floating and not spending the time fishing you'd want...still would be fun, maybe from the campground just past tacks to the flood control. Heard there's quite a few sweepers so beware. I prefer to hike the upper chena....especially these last few years, the water way up is SUPER shallow!!!

You could float the southfork from behind eielson out....nice float decent water and plenty of relatively untouched fish. I think there's a fire on the mascot range though...it's up that way somewhere...if you look towards the hotsprings you'll see the huge plume of smoke right now.....looks like a cloud, it isnt. We did this float in canoes also....plan on a couple of days, some log jams and a couple shallow spots..nothing horribly difficult even to a novice rower.