Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Snubby .357 revolver, and is a small 9mm a better CCW/backup gun.

Default Thoughts: the Snubby .357 revolver, and is a small 9mm a better CCW/backup gun.

In another old thread (on the .380) the subject came up about the best loads for the Revolver, and being a topic that is dear to my heart...I thought it should have it's own thread, as well as thoughts about the .357 snubby/ammo compared to a small semi-auto for CCW.

Should a person who carries a defensive Concealed Carry Weapon carry a good .357 Revolver or a higher capacity, but less powerful 9mm (or better)?

Consider that the weapon has to conceal in warm summer clothes (shorts) and should not be obvious, and that RELIABILITY is paramount. It will also be a "house gun" to compliment the 12ga.

Scenario: strictly (concealed) defense of family, at home and basic running around town (urban environment). What say you?

I'm leaning toward the .357 because of reliability, velocity, and use of existing ammo, training, and equipment (and give the wife the .38) but that's not etched in stone. I'm open to other opinions(maybe). Is a small semi-auto a better choice these days (minimum of 9mm), or is the .357 a perfect warm weather carry gun? I want the wife to use it (or the old .38) also, so it has to be okay in a smaller hand too. Maybe a KAHR? Or an XDm 3.8"? Maybe even in .40S&W? No 1911's or single actions.

Something very small/thin for CCW. (shorts/T-shirt). 9mm (+P) minimum, or stick with the reliable jframes?

i seen a lot of diff types of back up set up for diff use ..me personaly i use a revolver as a back up weapon for if got to that point in a gun fight iam holding on by the skin of my teeth for everything else has failed in the fight to get away from the person or persons that started the fight and i waiting on help to arrive to help me out ..

in down in the valley type of Az hot weather i carry a small flat type of auto like a glock 26 9mm cal auto or a walther pps 9mm cal auto or a 38.special in my pants pocket holster with a small pocket mag pouch for a speedloader strip or a extra mag for the pistol ..

I'm a big 9mm fan, and always have been. Here's a video clip of a Navy SEAL commenting on critics of the 9mm, by casually saying "When I put two rounds in your heart and one in your head, you won't know the difference"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzkjXBYrqs

For me, the perfect carry gun is the Kahr MK9 or PM9. I've been looking for one around the state for a while now with no luck. As soon as I find one though, I'm scooping it up.

Yup, I've sold a bunch of the smaller Glocks for Backup/CCW here in the hot weather. I also like the KAHR's, as they're a great fit in my hand. In fact I had a KAHR (.45) on layaway one time when a 1911 dropped in and stole the show...(then got traded for a nice AR ) I still kinda wish I would have gotten that rig.

I go 38/357 and don't like autos as pocket guns, revolvers handle adverse conditions better. Also if you ever do need to fire from inside a pocket with an auto you have a single shot as it will jam on the spent case, revolver = bang-bang-bang every time. As a Joe Blow citizen I want my defense gun for defense, to buy me time/distance and nothing not for offence like military/LEO work. Autos are great for military/LEO that clean/check them daily and for fun but I neglect my CCW gun far too much to trust my life to an auto.

9mm is good with good ammo and not so good with 95% of the 9mm ammo out there. There is a reason Phoenix PD and many others ditched the 9mm, within 90 days of switching to 9mm PPD officers were allowed to go back to 357 if they wanted and most did till the 40 came along. I saw a pit bull a PPD cop shot in the head 4 times with his Glock 9mm while it was eating the copís calf. Cop put round #5 in the dogís hip and that worked to get him off but that dog died of old age not 9mm lead poising. One 357 (or even 38) to the noggin and itís a limp dead pit bull!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i love my old S&W revolver belly gun it the one revolver i keep with me all the times when iam out for it great to just to throw it into a jacket pocket and i can walk to the house front door with my keys in my one hand and a my other hand is around the butt of a revolver ready to go if need be ..sometimes i just stick in a pants pocket in a little pocket holster and it works great for beening out and about when running around in the town ..

See, that's kinda how I'm thinking.
    As much as I'd like 20rounds of 9mm +P in a CCW rig...I can't get past the reliability/possible feeding issues of a semi-auto. (limp wrist at the wrong moment/upside down/around a barricade, etc).

Sure, some folks have pointed out that the revolver is not perfect, and sometimes a spring breaks. But, what MTBF do you suppose that really means...

That the typical jframe snubby is only six or eight times more reliable than a semi-auto, instead of ten times more reliable. You know what I mean? (well, okay maybe only two times more reliable than a HiPower ).

But, 5 pretty darn (99.999&#37 reliable trigger pulls...any angle.

So, (more specifically) how does the .357 Jframe stack up against say the .40 or .45 in a sub-compact short barreled Glock? What say you?

Default Much Appreciated!!!

I sure do love these threads because you guys help me avoid incorrect purchases (on a semi-retired budget) and that's important.

I get distracted weighting this variable versus that variable (this bell/that whistle) and it always comes back to RELIABILITY trumping all the other variables. And being able to hand it to the wife and say point/shoot. (yes, that also applies to the Glock).

ALL input is sure much appreciated..always.

Wasn't there a test somewhere where someone compared the .357 to the .45 for one shot stops...and they came out about even?
    I wonder how the .40 rates in there. I know it's darned CLOSE!

I STILL want to get a 3" .357 snubby and (safely) test out some 200grainers in it at <21' (versus a .40/180 and a .45/230). HeHeHeHaHa!

Most defensive scenarios happen at less than 21', and my hallway is right around 21' Course that's just till I can reach the 12ga.

Chevy or Ford?
    Tim

Ford, for sure. (or Mercury).
    GM's made in China now, after their "bailout".

Ford Lincoln Mercury...it's what I named my son.

SP101 with 180gr.BB

SP101's a good rig! Ruger's still made in the USA. (I think).

For me I like a full size 1911 45 ACP in a Mitch Rosen IWB holster and a spare magazine on my weak sid in a MBS by Mitch Rosen.

For a back up to the primary weapon a J-Frame S&W is hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    SP101's a good rig! Ruger's still made in the USA. (I think).

I like mine........

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    9mm is good with good ammo and not so good with 95% of the 9mm ammo out there.
    I own a Glock 17, a SIG P226, and an H&K USP all in 9mm. I always use the cheapest ammo I can find, and I've never had a single FTF/FTE in any of them.

Default Smith MP360

I have one of these http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

and i think it would be something to consider. I myself have carried both the 1911 and that unsafe ugly black pistol in various configurations for a long time, and am now carrying this one almost exclusively. It just makes life easy that i can throw it and a couple loaders in a pocket and go. 5 rounds is not a lot of ammo, but everything is a trade and at this point I am willing to take the convenience over capacity deal. With 38's in it I could write my name rapid fire if it carried more ammo. I also like the hammered version just because I like to play with my weapons as well as carry them and the hammer makes for a better shooter IMHO.

I like the M&P, and it would probably be my second choice.

I'm so used to my 442, that I'll probably go with a 640. Either one would fit in my existing holsters though.
    But, I actually like the thought of a slighly heavier steel gun in the .357.
    ANY S&W .357 jframe will do though. All very comfortable...even in shorts/polo.

Now, if only they made a Blackhawk serpa holster for the speedsix... (or the SP101).

I've got a S&W Model 60 3" on layaway as we speak. I have found few guns that fit my hand as well as that one does. It will be my first .357, replacing a 2" barrel .38. I am a little discouraged at the lack of available holsters for the 3" models though.

Default Gotta go with the 3".

Yup, I'm going to end up with the bottom 1" sticking out of the Serpa, but I won't let it bother me. I think that extra will be worth it.
    I "cant" it forward a notch anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    I own a Glock 17, a SIG P226, and an H&K USP all in 9mm. I always use the cheapest ammo I can find, and I've never had a single FTF/FTE in any of them.
    I'm talking about fail to penetrate not FTF/FTE or other auto issues except that any auto is extremely likely to jam on the spent case when fired from inside a coat pocket. I love autos, Glocks, 1911s, CZs, but like any tool they are better matched for some things than others.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast