Thread: Group buys on powder?

Default Group buys on powder?

I'm moving to Juneau this summer. I have a bunch of ammunition, gunpowder and primers that I don't want to sell.

So, I'm going to be shipping these items via barge as this seems the only way to get powder and primers to Alaska.

But I got to thinking, does anyone ever coordinate group buys of powder etc. to share the costs of shipping?

We did a couple in late 2008 and one or two in early 2009 I think, but it's been awhile since I've seen mention of any. The primary purpose of most of those group buys was because there just wasn't anything on the store shelves here at that time. Now that that's no longer the case, I'm not sure how much involvement there would be.

Mike

Default powder on shelves?

sure its there, but thats cause they think we're OK with the new B.S prices that came along with the restocking, maybe we should start supplying ourselves, im kinda of tired of paying 30+ dollars a pound. Stick it to the man, before he sticks it to us any longer!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

In SE it may be the best way to go, it is definitely cheaper that way. I ran 3 buys in 08-09 and you need 50 pounds to make it work so it depends on who you can find that needs how much down there. All the buys I did went very well and were not that hard to put together on this forum. Give it a try and see what takers you get once you are settled in . . . welcome to Alaska.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Group buys... works best if one has a Span Alaska account... I have one, and a few other memebers on here also use span for shipping... things get truck shipped to them into seattle, then the hasmat fee is only Once regardless of the number of boxes being shipped... UPS and FED X will also ship hazmat on the barge but the rates are god awful when we get our calibration gas bottles sent up here.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Three Bears has powder now cheaper than or equal to catalog prices in the lower 48. Not sure what advantage there is to a group buy unless there's something they can't get.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Three Bears has powder now cheaper than or equal to catalog prices in the lower 48. Not sure what advantage there is to a group buy unless there's something they can't get.
    What Three Bears are you talking about? For me the advantage was we could get powder but then it came in at $16 to $22 a pound so it was win win.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Kenai and at four corners in the Valley.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    I'm moving to Juneau this summer. I have a bunch of ammunition, gunpowder and primers that I don't want to sell.

So, I'm going to be shipping these items via barge as this seems the only way to get powder and primers to Alaska.

But I got to thinking, does anyone ever coordinate group buys of powder etc. to share the costs of shipping?
    I'll be moving back to AK next year and also have a crap-load of components. I was thinking of driving my truck (with components in back) to WA and taking the ferry. What barge do you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBaglimit View Post
    I'll be moving back to AK next year and also have a crap-load of components. I was thinking of driving my truck (with components in back) to WA and taking the ferry. What barge do you speak of?

The barge:

http://www.lynden.com/ltia/

They will ship smokeless powder, primers and loaded rounds. Black powder is possible, but more difficult. I've got a quote for $200.00 on 300 pounds of primers, powder and bullets. That is from their Tacoma facility to Juneau.

As for the ferry, according to their information you can take up to 65 pounds of loaded ammunition on your vehicle. I have forgotten the exact conversions for "crap-load" to pounds, but I think that might be more than 65 pounds of ammo!

I don't think you can take components (primers/powder) on the ferry. I haven't found information about primers and gunpowder specifically, just a general, no explosives or highly flammable products notice. So I'm guessing that this means no powder or primers on the ferry. I'll be calling later in the week to find out.

Any information anyone can supply would be appreciated.

You might want to check your quote. You can't ship primers and powder together. Also, there is a limit of 100#s of powder in any one shipping container, and 400#'s on an entire barge or steamship.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    You might want to check your quote. You can't ship primers and powder together. Also, there is a limit of 100#s of powder in any one shipping container, and 400#'s on an entire barge or steamship.
    Good advice. I got the feeling that the person I was talking to didn't know quite enough about the topic when I asked about packing primers and powder separately.

Just to clarify powder and primers can go on the same barge but can't be in the same box and it takes separate hazmat fees. Black powder is a whole other can of beans, smokeless is hazmat classed as a flammable and black as an explosive so black is much harder to ship.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    The barge:

http://www.lynden.com/ltia/

They will ship smokeless powder, primers and loaded rounds. Black powder is possible, but more difficult. I've got a quote for $200.00 on 300 pounds of primers, powder and bullets. That is from their Tacoma facility to Juneau.

As for the ferry, according to their information you can take up to 65 pounds of loaded ammunition on your vehicle. I have forgotten the exact conversions for "crap-load" to pounds, but I think that might be more than 65 pounds of ammo!

I don't think you can take components (primers/powder) on the ferry. I haven't found information about primers and gunpowder specifically, just a general, no explosives or highly flammable products notice. So I'm guessing that this means no powder or primers on the ferry. I'll be calling later in the week to find out.

Any information anyone can supply would be appreciated.
    Ahhh...good information. We may be taking 2 vehicles, so at least that means 130 lbs of loaded ammo on the ferry. I don't think I have that much, so I'll be able to add primed brass to that total (assuming that counts as "ammo").

I used Samson when I moved up to Kodiak. They charged around 250 for 200#'s of stuff including powder and primers...

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    I used Samson when I moved up to Kodiak. They charged around 250 for 200#'s of stuff including powder and primers...
    Do they also ship via water? Do you have their contact info?