Thread: Trying To save Some Money

Default Trying To save Some Money

I have over a thousand .45acp brass to load, and do not have the money to spend on a Dillon, so was thinking of things to make this chore easier. Only thing to pop up is how to prime all these critters, and the RCBS press-mounted auto-prime is the only tool I lack. Those primer tubes are $15 each though. So I bought the following off McMaster-Carr:
    89965K39 Aluminum Tubing 5/16" OD, .21" ID, .049" Wall Thickness, 6' Length $11.49 each.

I bought two sticks, will cut them down, and install the primer fingers I'll get from RCBS. This'll save me about $130.00.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

We are going to need pics of this setup! I have not made a single cartridge yet but my plan is to get one of the lee hand primers. It seems that priming is about the only reloading chore that can be done sitting on the couch watching hockey, football or Tiffany arrow a deer.

If you are useing a rockchucker or similer press you might look at purchasing or building a case kicker to speed up the process. They are only $24 and include bullet tray.

Hey thanks for that idea, I'll check it out over the weekend. Do you have primers in stock? I need a case of Fed or Winnie large pistol.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We are going to need pics of this setup! I have not made a single cartridge yet but my plan is to get one of the lee hand primers. It seems that priming is about the only reloading chore that can be done sitting on the couch watching hockey, football or Tiffany arrow a deer.

avoid the lee, get the rcbs

The LEE works OK, but from selling probably 100 of them over the years, they seem to have a limited life span. I would also recommend the RCBS press mounted unit. I've used mine to prime in excess of 100,000 cases over the years and it still performs without a hitch. Some folks don't like to prime on the press, but I find it more convenient than a seperate tool. I think the "feel" issue when seating primers is over rated, I can "feel" just fine on the press.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Some folks don't like to prime on the press, but I find it more convenient than a seperate tool. I think the "feel" issue when seating primers is over rated, I can "feel" just fine on the press.
    I agree on both points, and especially with the latter.

There are lots of handloading tools that don't make any sense at all, from my point of view, and a separate primer seater is one of'em.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    avoid the lee, get the rcbs
    Thanks for the info.

I just had an idea to make a bunch of primer tubes to hold primers without spending a bundle. I think 20 minutes filling 12 homemade tubes would be easier than loading 100 cases, then having to stop to load the tube with primers again. Didn't want to start anything.

You guys are going to hate me for this.... For loading rifle rounds I use a K&M Services priming tool that uses a dial indicator to show the exact amount of pre-compression on the primer when pressing into the case.

http://www.abfirearms.com/K___M.html

Yep, Nitroman, you have made my brain hurt. For me, when the primer stops moving, I stop pressing. Good enough.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I had been catching all my spent primers in one of those funky Rock Chucker snap on plastic contraptions for 30 years. I then dumped them in a 5 gallon bucket that sat under the bench. Last year that bucket was emptied as it was full. It had been shaken down until it wouldn't hold another primer. Every one of those primers was replaced with the auto prime arm that came with the press back in "76". Since emptying that bucket I kinda sorta have been just letting them fall on the floor. One does not want to walk in my little reloading room bare footed. My point is that by now you'd think I got that set up mastered. Nooooooo....last night I was gonna load up some 222s and had one box of a hundred small rifle primers left. I filled the tube with them and promptly turned it upside down and dumped them right on the floor with all of them spent primers. I forgot the little retaining key pin what goes in the tube until it is in the auto prime arm.

Yeah yeah, go ahead and laugh. I bet I ain't the onliest one on this forum thats done that. Might be the onliest one dump enough to admitt it though! Ha!

I do have two priming arms. One for small primers and one for the big ens. Much easier to just knock out the pin and replace the whole arm than to fiddle with swapping out the seater/cup deally bob every time!