Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown or Black

Default Brown or Black

It seems obvious to me, but the local ADF&G Bio says he is sure this is a black bear.

Default hard to tell

looks like a Grizz to me .....

they can be hard to tell sometimes.

Several Cinnamon's have been killed in the Misty's as Brown Bear and several Brown's as Cinnamon.

Some times our Black (cinnamon) have a good hump on thier backs and our Brown's don't have that big of a hump.

What is your opinion on this one?

hey boater,

where did you see that guy?

Default That's a tough one....

That's a pretty tough call. Judging from the information you gave about the bears down there, I'm gonna go with black. It does have a hump, but the head looks like a black to me.

I have another picture that is supposedly of the same bear but I couldn't say for sure.

Default First pic

The first pic was taken by Rick Beasley out of his window at 6 mile on N. Douglas. The second was supposedly taken in the same area. There's an article about it in the Empire today. Those pics I got in an email.

Default Thoughts

First one: With my experience, brown bear. Big head, short ears.

Second one, again, big head short ears.

Using my expertise, I would say both browns. Please remember that I did stay at a holiday inn express.

I would say the first is a blackie (real narrow muzzle). The other one you posted is hard to tell with the shadows.

Musk- I would have to say that is about a 6.5" brownie but that is an awful angle Might have to sneak a little closer to that one.

both nice bears.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    First one: With my experience, brown bear. Big head, short ears.

Second one, again, big head short ears.

Using my expertise, I would say both browns. Please remember that I did stay at a holiday inn express.
    Both are brown/griz. Seems pretty clear too me. Of course I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I would call the first one a Griz - that big brown puppy looks like it has a griz bod and a blackie head - perhaps Momma had a little fun when Papa was away ?
    I would have to get a better look at # 2 before I would make the shoot or not shoot decision....
    Good Post guys - fun challenge!

Default akboater

the last picture you posted is surely a brown.

I'd say they're both Grizz.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I tend to agree with the bio and would call the first a really unique blackie. The second looks like a griz 2 me.

I think they both are black bear. The brown colored bear has a straight back, the fact that his head is down gives the appearance of a shoulder hump, also the shape of the forehead leads me to think black bear, a cinnamon, again.

The first photo looks to be one very big black bear to boot. JMO.

First one Griz. second Blackie.
    Paul

Default ok

how about this one .... you have a Brown Bear tag in your pocket as you have already taken you Black Bear bag limit .... hurry before it get to the brush !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default I'd have to.....

....not shoot that one, looks like a blackie to me. However the first one looks like a brownie that's got bad intentions!! Like a scene in a horror flick (yelling at the phones screen) DONT GET OUT!!! CAN'T YOU SEE IT!!! Oh crap he's dead! they always get out to look!

ok
    how about this one .... you have a Brown Bear tag in your pocket as you have already taken you Black Bear bag limit .... hurry before it get to the brush !!!!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Cinnamon black bear . Watch it and enjoy the sight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    It seems obvious to me, but the local ADF&G Bio says he is sure this is a black bear.

I'd probably be more curious about the identity of the biologist.
    Joe (Ak)

They both look like brown bears to me. I have shot a cinnimon phase black bear and he didn't look like either in the pictures.

As a side note, can black bears mate with brown bears? I saw a show on national geographic where a guy shot a hybrid polar bear/brown bear.

Default Lu John has it right

I would have to agree with LuJohn. The shorter looking ears are the result of having more fat on the skull The more fat the shorter the ears look. Check out the cinnamon color phase on California Bear, they are almost identical to the first picture. (Short hibernation - abundant food) about 50% of California bear are this color the farther North we travel the more predominant the black color phase becomes.
    Mist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast