Thread: "Woodleigh Weldcore" Bullets Question

Default "Woodleigh Weldcore" Bullets Question

Hi All,

Has anyone had experience with the Weldcore bullets in hunts? I would like to load a box or so, but how well do they do on game? Are they like an A-Square Dead Tough? Thanks

Ron

Default Weldcore

Ron,

Yes. Woodleigh's are bonded, lead (not hardened) and gilding metal (copper and zinc) and have uniform jacket thickness, thick jackets but not tapered.

Kodiak bonded bullets have the same thing except have tapered jackets.

The Dead Tough is bonded, non tapered jackets, hardened lead.

The DT's are the toughest. The weldcores are the next, then Kodiak's.(Of these three)

Woodleighs stay together! They will retain 90% from a cape buffalo. Never have I seen one break up ur fail in any way even from high velocity calibers.

The uniform jacket thickness makes the initial expansion slower but is necessary for them to regulate in doubles. Tapered jackets are inconsistant in doubles. Also the bullet shape is a factor with doubles and does help the terminal performance.

I have loaded them for .375, .410, .416, .423, .458, .475, .510 and .620 and have shot my share of them. I would highly endorse the woodleigh weldcore.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thank You!

Ron

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have to agree with Murphy on this one.

I shot one of their 410 grain 416 caliber bullets into a piece of Hemlock lengthwise just too see what it would do. The shot was taken from 5'. The piece of wood was about 18" long and 10 inches in diameter. After the shot I took a chainsaw and started cutting crossways to see just how far this bullet had penetrated. I finally found the bullet at the 14" mark. Very well together yet.

I had some 250 grain Woodleigh Weldcore bullets for my 340 WBY that were factory loads that came in a Norma box, seemed kind of hot, when I chronographed them they were just barely under 3000 fps. I was never able to get a 250 grain bullet to go that fast w/ my own loads. Anyway I bought them from an old man who was retiring for like $20 a box. I was able to shoot a goat and a muskox w/ them, both were 1 shot kills. I never recovered either bullet but would have liked to see what they looked like, obvioiusly did their job. I really wish I could find more of those, never got around to handloading any but I suppose I could, would like to try them out on more game.

Just purchased a box of their Protected Point 240 grainers in .308". Would like to see how it functions as serious elk medicine in my '06. Should be able to sneak past 2,300 fps MV with H4831SC.

The advertised impact velocity "window" for these bullets is about 1,900-2,400.

Sorry to sound moonie-eyed about bullets, but they are gorgeous.

Default TSX

Why even consider the Woodleigh Weldcore when you can use a Barns TSX. Their is no better hunting round.

DR B

Dr. B.....I love to reload and experiment with bullets, but the older I get, the more I think your comment is spot on. Barnes: The Model T of bullets (i.e., you can have any color you want, as long as it's black!)

Default One Bullet!!

Quote Originally Posted by DR B View Post
    Why even consider the Woodleigh Weldcore when you can use a Barns TSX. Their is no better hunting round.

DR B
    DR B,

Ahem! Bullets aren't like women, man does not have to eventually settle with just one. Where's your spirit of adventure? Does your wife know about.....hmmmm!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Amen

The fact that it's there is enough to invite adventure. There' always a greener pasture and a better mouse-trap. While barnes TSX are an excellent bullet and will fill most peoples needs. Lead core bullets are much shorter and can be loaded out of the case which allows more room for powder. LEAD is heavier than brass. If you happen to have a 284 WIN or 350 Rem. Mag. THAT was the problem with thoose cartridges anyway. Also lead core bullets are more accurate than a solid monolithic bullet. Check the records NO major rifle shoot has ever been won with a Barne's monolithic bullet. Bench rest shooter's and long range shooters shoot lead core projectiles.