Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is not a joke!

Default This is not a joke!

OK I know my chances are slim on getting a lot of positive replies to this, but I am hoping for a few good PM’s though.

I am renting a boat from Ft Rich and am planning on taking my kids (3-9 yrs) fishing out of Homer this 4th of July. I am looking for some lat/longs for a chicken hole and/or some good numbers for cod. Obviously I am not looking for anyone’s honey hole. These numbers will stay with me and WILL NOT be passed to another living sole!

Please stop laughing and help a guy out.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

How far do you plan to go?
    What size boat and what kind of range does it have?
    Most of the GOOD spots I have are at least 20 miles out.
    One thing I have done is to look for boats catching fish when I get out there and mark their spots to return to later and try.
    Often you can head for the Compass Rose, Flat Island, the fingers or other known spots and you will see boats around catching fish.Don't anchor too close to someone else. Give them several hundred yards.
    I also look for likely spots on my charts and drift through them and if we start to pick up fish we run back to the spot and anchor up.
    Seriously though any spot that consistently produces Halibut would be considered a honey hole in my book. Yes I know of a few of these good spots. I am still chuckling about giving out coordinates even in a pm on an internet forum.
    If anyone feels like giving away coordinates I wouldn't mind a pm either.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Here are the coordinates for my favorite place in Homer for Halibut.

Here are some coordinates.

I love stopping at this place for Halibut when I am in Homer. Its got so much good halibut, I am not concerned with it running out of fish. As far as I am concerned anyone can use these numbers.

59.36.08.97 N 151.29.25.96 W

Check them out on your GPS with maps before you go.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Default What restaurant?

Haines,

What restaurant are you sending them to?

What is that the fish market in Homer????

5.99 a pound at Fred Meyers makes it tough to buy gas from the valley just to get there...

If Google Earth had chart lines it would be even more scary than the free version is already.

George

Default All Lazy

Nobody is going to take the time to actually plug in those coordinates?

Those numbers are for Captain Pattie's special place for Halibut. They are legit as a source for good fish.

I figured something like that. I put them on Google Earth and it took me just off the spit.

George

Default True true

its a waterfront restaurant on the homer spit called Captain Patties Fish House. It actually does have good halibut... just not the kind you catch

Sorry I could not resist.

Default Thanks

Haines,
    Thank you. I have put those numbers into my trucks GPS and will use them as a backup if we get skunked!

BTW MY son did not think you were too funny.

Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Go talk to Muttley. I'm sure he'd fill you in on a chicken patch or two.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default homer halibut/cod

Toddler,

You didn't tell us what size of boat and how far you going. I'm like Kasilof and go out at least 20 miles. You will have good tides that weekend so you won't have to use 5 pound weights to stay under the boat. Compass Rose area and look for hills on your chart is a good start.

Randy

get some charts, look for humps, or follow a charter to a chicken hole, they have the green stickers...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

12 to 14 miles west of the spit

Ill be in a 24 Kingfisher. I would like to stay within 20 Nm of Homer. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions so far.

Drew

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by willjrc View Post
    12 to 14 miles west of the spit
    That's the ticket. If you just go around the Spit and head west anywhere from 5 to 25 miles you're bound to run into some. Just try a spot for 15 minutes. If you don't catch anything just go about a mile or two away and try again. Keep doing this until you get into fish. I can assure you that you will eventually. They are everywhere out there.

One "secret" spot that really is no secret is the area from just west of Pogi to west of Flat Island. That whole area has plenty of halibut in it. And it will be easy to see where they're at on the weekend of the Fourth because there will probably be about 50 other boats in the area (or more).

The problem with "secret" spots is that they don't always produce. The spot I was in 3 days ago where I caught and released over 30 halibut in about 3 hours had absolutely nothing that would bite in it today. I'd be willing to give you coordinates, but then when you go there on a day that it just isn't producing you'll be pissed at me for wasting your time.

In other words, just head out there and poke around. You'll find some eventually.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Most people who fish out of Homer have their own "spots" they like, I'm no different. Some have produced consistently for ten years or more. Head west out bay and drop in on a high spot. If it doesn't work, drop on another. It won't take long. The most satisfaction for me comes from prospecting and finding success on a new spot. Example, Saturday we were en route to a consistent spot, but there was a boat already on the hump (25 miles out). I found a similar hump about a half mile from there (completely new to me). Dropped in, caught fish immediately. 8 nice keepers 20-30# in an hour and a half. Probably caught 20. It ain't rocket science in Homer.Moved on to troll the rest of the day. It was gorgeous all day.

Wink 3 Tips given to us by a guide

I have been in your shoes and spent the $$$$ to go Halibut fishing and came back with nothing. Just because we filled the boat the week before does not mean they will be there the next time. This advice came from a guide sitting at our camp fire on the Homer spit.
    Tip#1 Be in the water by 6:30am watch the boats leaving and follow a guide boat out. They know where the fish are bitting. Just give them their space.
    Tip#2 Pick up some herring oil on the spit. Cut a few bait fish up in a bucket and start letting them brine in this oil. Continue adding fish to the bucket as the day goes by. If the Halibut are around they will come to you.
    If you can't get there early enouph then here is my3rd and final Tip.
    We have had REALLY GOOD success out next to Flat Island. If they aren't bitting there continue around the island slightly to the left maybe 10 minutes or so you should see the boats there. The water is moving faster here so you will have to use a little heavier weight and anchor up. Depending on the weather of cource since you will have children.
    GOOD LUCK This is why they call it fishing not catching my husband says!

If you are new to fishing Cook Inlet, I would strongly discourage dropping an anchor. It's not hard to get into deadly trouble in that current. You have your children with you.
    Drift along and cover some ground. When you hit the fish, you can motor around and drift thru them again. Make your first drift about 4 miles out from Seldovia, almost always some fish there. Then work your way out towards the bigger water if needed.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Not fishing tips, boat tips

With that Kingfisher, here are some tips. Ft Rich did NOT put counter rotating props on it. One motor will consistently cavitate, pull back on the throttle and let the water catch up. It is a PIA.
    Second tip is to check THEIR charts. They have a line drawn on it that shows how far you can take the boat out. If you go past the line and they find out, they WILL ban you from renting for one year. The lines for Seward and PWS are not far out at all. I do not know their limit for Homer. I do know that they do not allow you to use the tractor launch at Anchor Creek.

They clear the GPS on it every trip, so even if someone else plotted some good holes, they will be gone. :-(

Enjoy and have a great day fishing.

AK Chappy

Default 270 degrees

come around the corner at Lands Inn clear the width of the spit, get the boat heading at 270 degrees and when your straight out from the buffs, fish, 100 to 120 feet of water, bingo
    if you can not go that far go north into Millers hole off the boat yard 80 to 120'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast