Thread: Halibut trips

Default Halibut trips

Will be in Anchorage mid July and wanted to go Halibut fishing. What is the closest drive for a quality charter. Dont need 5 star accomodations, just quality fish.

THanks

Default Options...

July offers not only halibut, king and silver salmon, rock fish, and ling cod. Seward charters offer all but kings from the above in July, Homer charters offer halibut , and rock fish, lings possibly troll for kings if you are willing to go out a ways($$$) Ninilchik is mostly a halibut fishery, but some charters are willing to troll for salmon to provide a combo charter.

1. Seward - Shorter drive, longest run to the fishing areas, minimal/moderate tides $225-300, most fish to target
    2. Ninilchik - Longer Drive, shortest run to the fishing areas, strong/very strong tides $185-250, few fish to target
    3. Homer - Longest Drive, longer run to the fishing areas, strong/very strong tides $200-300, more fish to target

$- Avg...some more some less

Yes Whittier is closer, but the charter options are limited, tunnel access and parking is a limiting factor.

Google search on any of those three cities and you will find a plethora of charters.

Good luck
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

akarcher, what is the issue with strong tides? is that a factor? here on the east coast we only talk about tides as being a good fishing time.

thanks

Default AK Can't wait

The east coast doesn't deal with 8+ knot surface currents and 30+ foot tide differences.

When the tide is ripping you have to use mass weight vs the east coast. We are talking in the 3-5 pounds or more range just to keep the hook near the bottom.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

WOW, we dont catch many 3-5 lb fish here.

Actually, the CLOSEST halibut hole is one I've mentioned numerous times in the past. It's legit, close and would be real affordable for someone with out their own boat.
    1.Find out if the processor is running fish in Whittier.
    2. If so rent a boat for the day from the boat rental dude there in town and get out of the harbour.
    3.Circle around heading mostly East and get close to the sea wall. Look for the pump head on the sea wall that is the one used to pump ALL the cleanings from the processor into the bay.
    4. Move off shore (ive been told around 450 feet) and let um down.

I only fished there once and we did catch fish! Ours were chickens but I watched the guys next to us land a 150 pounder there. I guess the reason it doesn't get much attention is because it's not glamourous enough It's also quite deep there (450) or so and a chore to check bait!

You might even talk to someone at the processor who could give you a little more information.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    July offers not only halibut, king and silver salmon, rock fish, and ling cod. Seward charters offer all but kings from the above in July, Homer charters offer halibut , and rock fish, lings possibly troll for kings if you are willing to go out a ways($$$) Ninilchik is mostly a halibut fishery, but some charters are willing to troll for salmon to provide a combo charter.

1. Seward - Shorter drive, longest run to the fishing areas, minimal/moderate tides $225-300, most fish to target
    2. Ninilchik - Longer Drive, shortest run to the fishing areas, strong/very strong tides $185-250, few fish to target
    3. Homer - Longest Drive, longer run to the fishing areas, strong/very strong tides $200-300, more fish to target

$- Avg...some more some less

Yes Whittier is closer, but the charter options are limited, tunnel access and parking is a limiting factor.

Google search on any of those three cities and you will find a plethora of charters.

Good luck
    You're forgetting Anchor Point. There are some great charter operations there, too.

And I'd have to respectfully disagree with the "Homer - longer run to the fishing areas" assessment. I know a lot of the Ninilchik charters will run you over an hour or more out to the "depths" and you can catch some very nice halibut within only 15 to 30 minutes of Homer if you know where to go. I caught this one today just half an hour from the end of the Spit. And as the summer goes on they only get bigger and closer in.

And there are silvers starting to enter Kachemak Bay in mid-July so that is an option and you only have to go to Pogi or the Bluffs to get them, which is only about a half an hour out and shouldn't incur any extra $$$. I certainly wouldn't charge extra to fish for them. And there are still kings around. There are "feeder" kings in the bay all year long and you can catch them just about any time.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

check out fishwhisperer lodge and the boat Got Fish out of Seward. I am the deckhand and we have been catching large amounts of nice fish. I am not sure what the schedule is that time of year, but if you go on the website fishwhispererlodge dot com you will see our prices and availability. best of luck whereever you go. FISH ON

check out fishwhispererlodge dot com and the boat Got Fish out of seward. I am the deckhand and we have been getting into some nice fish. im not sure what our schedule is with bookings that far out but check out the website to see the availabilty. whereever you go good luck. Fish ON
    Last edited by stop4mallards; 05-30-2010 at 21:09. Reason: same thing i just wrote

I'd give Seward the nod as the drive isn't too long, it's a very picturesque drive, and mid July the silvers will on the outskirts of the bay, so you can do a combo halibut and silver salmon trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AK,cantwait View Post
    Will be in Anchorage mid July and wanted to go Halibut fishing. What is the closest drive for a quality charter. Dont need 5 star accomodations, just quality fish.

THanks

Are you Military? if so you can go to http://www.sewardresort.com/reunion.html

Very nice and good prices. Check it out.

If you're looking for quality halibut, like your post would indicate, I would look at Homer and find a quality six pack charter. It isn't called "The Halibut Capitol" (or something like that) for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    If you're looking for quality halibut, like your post would indicate, I would look at Homer and find a quality six pack charter. It isn't called "The Halibut Capitol" (or something like that) for nothing.
    Lots of Halibut and other fish to be caught too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

http://www.millerslandingak.com/fishing-comboHSA.htm

Good fishing w/ camping & or cabins on the grounds