Thread: Kayak trips, help

Default Kayak trips, help

Ill be in Ak in the middle of July and was looking into some of the Kayak trips. Is it worth the extra $250 for a shuttle out to the glaciers. I would really like to kayak around the ice, are there any places better then others. Im staying in Anchorage and have rental car.

Thanks

where are you coming from? are you looking for day trips? overnights? what is your kayaking experience and skill level? i would need this info before i could recommend any trips.
    i can appreciate the desire to paddle around in glacier territory, and please dont take offense to this, but your query sounds a little naive regarding this type of paddling. the cold waters of alaska are seriously dangerous, and paddling around ice has its own particular dangers as well. be safe in the planning and execution of your trips. cheers, steve

I havn't done it myself but without a water taxi?

1.Check the distances again... therre are two points of access to Prince William Sound from Anchorage (Sea Kayaking to tidewater glaciers what your looking for I assume) Either way I don't think it's a day trip... just google map it. its 17 miles to the nearest glacier from Seward. (Bear Glacier I think), and 55 miles to the closest real tidewater glacier, much of it through the open opens where Ressurection bay meets the Gulf of Alaska. (the waves and currents out there can be BIG.) and the nearest to Whittier is Blackstone bay which is 24 miles or so.

2. You need to make sure you know what your doing... either trip is not for beginners. Weather and currents are VERY unpredictable and rescue or help is NOT going to be readily available if you get into trouble.

3. are you alone or with a friend. For me to do the trip alone would be pretty stupid thing to do.. (see rescue not available, my experience level etc) the water taxi/Kayak rental places dont' offer just a ride to the more interesting spots, they give you guides, someone to check dangerspots, and the chance to paddle with others... safety in numbers right?

anyway... good to do alot more research before you come. personally I would take the trip out of Whittier, less busy,

Smile kayak trips

Well, I am coming from MARYLAND. I own a Kayak, that is to say my experience is kayaking in 80 degree water with minimal tide/wave issues. I looked at the pictures of the tours out of Millers Island and that is the extent of my knowledge. I am looking for the best day tour, cause I probably wont be back to AK for a long time. My girlfriend and I are athletic and water people, but not advanced kayakers. We do watch a lot of Discovery Channel shows on Alaska. That has to count for something. haha

Day trip, Glaciers, and moderate experience. Check..

Then you probably are looking at a guided trip out of Whittier to Blackstone Bay.

something like the link attached http://www.alaskaseakayakers.com/pri...day-tours.html

I just picked that one off a random google search. I'm not suggesting or endorsing that one by any streach... they have lots of competition so I would strongly recommend shopping around but that gives you an idea of what your looking at and for.

okay, i get it.
    so i would recommend going to either seward and taking a guided kayaking trip there. you may not get realize your dreams of blue ice, but you will see spectacular fjord scenery, and likely lots of sea life.
    -or-
    take the guided raft tour out of anchorage that drops you via the alaska railroad at the spencer glacier. this is freshwater, no tides to deal with, you can paddle with the ice, and get a river float too.
    -or-
    a guided water taxi/kayak tour out of whittier.

all those amazing pics and video you see of people paddling among the glacial ice and/or bears usually employ some compressed focal range lensing that can make 600 yards look like 60 feet. really makes for some unrealistic expectations for people coming up here for what they think is just a mellow day on the water paddling amongst the icebergs.
    do NOT get out there on your own if you dont have: a drysuit, an understanding of tidal forces in general and LOCAL tides in specific, an understanding of coastal weather, the ability to self-rescue in a kayak (be it eskimo roll, or wet-exit and re-entry), navigational skills, experience with COLD water immersion, and the ability to honestly evaluate you own skill set. take it from someone who was very green when he first came up here and took a Very Bad Swim once upon a time, you dont want to be out in it when you realize your not prepared for it.
    enjoy your visit, be safe, steve